CD-drive can't read ( all ! ) my CD's

vbimport

Hi

I’m having a problem the last months… When I want to instal a game(s) with a disk, it won’t read it. Because I’m not a genius with CD-drives and things like that, I’m asking for detailed information how I can manually repair (if I may call it that way) my CD-drive. So, but another weird thing about my CD-drive is if I want to put a CD (from a game) in it, it won’t work. Do I put a CD (with music like my eminem’s recovery album) in it, it works. So why can’t he read my CD with a game(s) while he can read my CD with music??

I’v read the FAQ (or something) about the CD-drives but I don’t understand a thing about it.

Hi and Welcome!

since your drive is able to handle your music CDs, then the hardware seems to be okay.
Do you have this problem only with certain (game) CDs, or are all data CDs affected? You may try if you can browse your Windows install disc (or another non-game software CD) with Explorer.

Michael

Well, for most games I have the CD-drive won’t read my game except one game, and there was another game too where the CD-drive could read the name of the game but didn’t instal it if I remember right. But I can’t test the Windows CD what you were telling about because I’m 15y and my father isn’t home and I don’t know where he put all those Windows CD’s

For testing, this must not necessarily be a Windows CD, it could be other data discs also. Perhaps a driver install disc or something like that.

What I suspect:
Either the laser needs to be cleaned, or something is messed up with your operating system. Some games install rogue DRM “drivers” which might affect your drive’s performance at all. Or you somehow managed to install malware :eek:

If there are any error messages, please report.

You don’t have a Linux Live CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu or Mint) at hand?

Michael

• I don’t have the CD at the hand, I think. XD

• If my laser should be to dirty… how can I get at the laser to clean it??

• What if I installed Malware or something how can I delete it easly??

• I could mess with my operating system yea… big chance XD

Btw. with the CD I want to instal right now, it says sometimes after waiting a long time: Error: can’t find: /F or something, and sometimes if I put a CD (one who don’t work) in my CD-drive my windows don’t react for a few seconds. (but my desktop, sites or other things that are open still works)

There was an add from google what took me to Driver Whiz what can maybe solve my problem… but you need to pay for it if you want to repair your problems… any alternatives??

[QUOTE=v3ndetta_;2564330]- If my laser should be to dirty… how can I get at the laser to clean it??[/quote]Disassemble the drive and clean it. Especially the lens. Be careful.
Some people were successful using one of these CD cleaning discs - I don’t recommend them. There must be a reason why Pioneer and Philips advise to not use these discs.

• What if I installed Malware or something how can I delete it easly??
    Reinstall your OS.

Btw. with the CD I want to instal right now, it says sometimes after waiting a long time: Error: can’t find: /F or something, and sometimes if I put a CD (one who don’t work) in my CD-drive my windows don’t react for a few seconds. (but my desktop, sites or other things that are open still works)
Indeed, this seems to indicate reading problems. These discs, are they originals, and how is their condition (scratches, fingerprints, dust etc.)?

[QUOTE=v3ndetta_;2564342]There was an add from google what took me to Driver Whiz what can maybe solve my problem… [/quote]Scam.

but you need to pay for it if you want to repair your problems… any alternatives??
I already mentioned to try with a Linux Live system. In case you have only one optical drive installed, you can also create a bootable USB media (2GB stick recommended).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2564345]
Indeed, this seems to indicate reading problems. These discs, are they originals, and how is their condition (scratches, fingerprints, dust etc.)?[/QUOTE]

The diskes are not damaged or anything els… It’s a few weeks ago I bought a new game Call of Duty Black Ops and he couldn’t read that either…

Btw. about that Linux cd you were talking or about that CD cleaning disk… do you need to buy it or is it one of them included when you buy a computer??

[QUOTE=v3ndetta_;2564350]
Btw. about that Linux cd you were talking[/quote]Do you have a working CD burner and blank CDs available? Then download the ISO image from www.ubuntu.com or www.knoppix.org and burn the image to disc (preferred software: Imgburn, or any other CD writing software that supports “burn disc from image” option).
Next step is to boot from that disc and see if you can browse your games discs. 2nd optical drive is required.

To create a bootable USB stick, you can load Ubuntu (as described above) from CD and use the integrated “create startup media” wizard.
Then boot from that USB stick (should be 2 GB, note all data will get wiped) and try your optical drive.
You can also use Unetbootinto create a bootable USB stick. Perhaps more convenient.

or about that CD cleaning disk… do you need to buy it
Yes.

or is it one of them included when you buy a computer??
No.

Michael

@v3ndetta_ , I haven’t worked with games & mciahel is giving good advice .

This is my suggestion for see how your CD drive handles CD Data discs.
Write a .mp3 data disc & if your drive successfully writes it see if it can also read it.
I suggest ImgBurn for doing the write (burn).

IS this a “won’t read CD-ROM” issue or a “lack of autorun” issue?

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2564402]IS this a “won’t read CD-ROM” issue or a “lack of autorun” issue?

AD[/QUOTE]
Take both XD

No, my drive can’t read all of my games that’s my problem… it has nothing to do with autorun so far XD

How old is the drive? It may just be defective.

I had one a few years back that behaved the same way, i.e. would read audio but not data discs. The cause was some sort of defect in the drive itself. Fortunately it was still under warranty and I had it replaced without cost.