CD Doctor, C1/C2 error testing program

Thanks to hard work from the folks at CDRLabs, particularly “cfitz” and “Ian”, there is now an English translation of the new media testing program, CD Doctor. This program appears to be based on the Sanyo internal testing program, and measures C1-C2 errors on Sanyo and LiteOn drives. It runs in Windows, which makes it a little easier than WSES. Results of disc scans in both WSES and CD-Doctor appear to be very similar in terms of the errors reported.

Here is a list of drives that are known to work with this program:
SANYO CRD-RW2
SANYO CRD-BP2
SANYO CRD-BP4
SANYO CRD-BP5
SANYO CRD-BP900P
SANYO CRD-BP1500P
SANYO CRD-BP1700P
Lite-On LTR-16102B
Lite-On LTR-24102B
Lite-On LTR-32123S (read error reported when using Nero ASPI)
Lite-On LTR-40125S
Lite-On LTR-40125S (4KUS CDR-5W32)
Lite-On LTR-48125W (4KUS CDR-5W32)
Lite-On LTR-48246S
Lite-On LTR-52246S (CDR-6S48)
Lite-On LTR-52486S
Lite-On CDR-6S48
Memorex 48MAXX
Memorex 52MAXX

Please read the entire thread at CDRLabs to learn more about this program and download it (free),

Here’s the thread at CDRLabs

Please note that you will need to have ASPI installed for this program to work, I used 4.60 in Win2000. Also note that the error display has a logarithmic scale which can make different results appear similar at first glance.

What a pity I no more have a LiteOn (I had two before.) Maybe I should get a used 24x or 32x (LiteOn 52x costs more than Samsung 48/24/48/16 combo here.) :frowning:

Considering the number of Sanyo-based and LiteOn-based drives, I’m sure we’ll see more drives being added to the list.

I’ve seen people saying some Plextors work and I think I’ve also seen posts on far east forums saying Yamaha works as well.

I thought that a Sanyo chipset Teac w540 might work but have had no luck with it. Perhaps the newer Mediatek ones will work.

Strange that the programme works with both Sanyo and Mediatek based writers. I would have thought the author would have concentrated on one or the other, like Sanyo since WSES is available and UM Doctor is so expensive.

BP1600
Philips 40X
Philips 48X

to that list…

Also
rdgrimes
consider putting this thread on the top
And provide a link to the english version done by cfitz and miyuri

I was asked not to link to the file itself. The idea is for people to read the entire thread at CDRLabs.
The author of the program has password-protected the 2nd zip file, and the password is in the “read-me” text. (The object is to make people read the text.) For this, and other reasons, it important that people read that thread.
As this is still a beta program and more improvements are planned, I want people to keep reading that thread as updates will be posted there.
Last but not least, I do not wish to appear, (as some other forums do), to be just re-posting someone elses work.
Thanks for the additional drives! hopefuly more people will post additions to the list!

Woops

Sorry, I didn’t see Ian’s comment, since i knew about the link from
http://s501xx.s13.xrea.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=570
Where it was directly linked.

BTW, now its the time to do some test with both CD Doctor and CD Speed so one can correlate the results between the two. Although CD Doctor will have a high higher resolution.

BTW, you still should consider making this sticky.

Lite-On LTR-52486S is on the list,
:eek: where can i get one! (even tho its hard to even get 24x media)

Anyone have any idea on acceptable c1 errors? (note: I got a lot :slight_smile: )

Originally posted by mmortal03
Anyone have any idea on acceptable c1 errors? (note: I got a lot :slight_smile: )

See some WSES threads since they work in a similar way. :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51738

Anyone have any idea on acceptable c1 errors?

It’s a comparison, C1 errors are corrected. But in general, lower is better. If they’re over 100, you might wish to find better media or lower the burn speed. Read speed makes a huge difference too. In WSES you can set the read speed, in CD Dr you have just 2 available speeds, 8x and max. As far as I can see, CD Dr does not allow the drive to slow for error correction, same for WSES.

yeah, I understand that, if I am not receiving numerous c2 errors, I am not really concerned as far as loss of data. A large amount of c1 errors COULD clue one in on bad media over the long term though. I received 30 c1 errors per second? on one disc, and the number was under 5 for all other discs tested. I own a LiteOn drive, so if someone could send me the WSES program at mmortal03 AT hotmail DOT com, it would be greatly appreciated.

The only way I can see getting lower test speeds with CD Doctor is lowering the max read speed of one’s drive temporarily with another program.

> Anyone have any idea on acceptable c1 errors?

Red Book gives a limit of 220 BLER/second, so
you’re still far from it.

> It’s a comparison, C1 errors are corrected.

How do you know that ? Does that tool make a
difference between correctable and uncorrectable
C1 errors ?

Miyuri obviously wants CD Doctor beta 1.04 to be distributed with the password protection (CDRLabs does the same with the English version) and there will always be people who link to unprotected files. (It looks like a Chinese server.)

Edited because I deleted the linked thread.

I deleted the thread, perhaps I may have acted hastily, but I didn’t feel the Chinese version was helpful anyway. I just feel I need to honor my agreement with CDRLabs not to link the file.
Kenshin, are you saying it was posted by Miyuri?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I deleted the thread, perhaps I may have acted hastily, but I didn’t feel the Chinese version was helpful anyway. I just feel I need to honor my agreement with CDRLabs not to link the file.

Ask Alex for some of my notes on that version. Also note the chinese site added their own advertising on the proggy.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

No, I didn’t think so.

I just took it as spam.

So nobody knows what this tool really measures ?
How do you guys expect your comparisons to
make any sense if you don’t know what you’re
looking at ?

Hi! I’ve been wondering around the net and saw some CD Doctor graphs, which could show high error rates (thousands). Is there perhaps a new version available anywhere?