Cd Dead Dvd Ok

My sony 710A no longer recognizes CD’s but is ok reading and writing DVD’s.

Does this mean something other than hardware failure?

Congrats!

For me its the other way round - in my Sony 700UL DVDs are not buring but a CD burns just fine :stuck_out_tongue:

no , dvd burners have seperate lasers for cd/dvd and apperantly the cd one died

i wouldnt say your case is similar at all , theres a big diffrence between not reading dvds and reading but not burning , the nero log might shed some light
c:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\NeroHistory.log copy & paste the latest and dont include the serial , anyway in most cases the burner aint at fault

Yeah, it just means your CD laser is going bye-bye. I bought my wife a combo CD burner and DVD reader. It is, sadly, no longer reading CD’s very well. Not sure why, it’s pretty new. But I solved the problem by putting in my old DVD-ROM which no longer reads many DVD’s, but its CD laser is as strong as ever. :wink:

If it is just the CD laser going would it not still recognize the presence of a CD?

Nope :wink: - Nothing else than the laser “sees” what type of disc you insert in your drive.

My 710A stopped recognizing cds this weekend. It’s only 10 months old, so it is still under warranty. I called Sony this morning, they gave me an RMA# and said they will be replacing the drive.

If yours is still under warranty, please call them. If it’s out of warranty, you might still want to give it a try. It sounds like the problem may not be that unusual.

link