CD copy help/advise needed!

vbimport

Damn… still got a few hours left.
Need some help copying a new german medical cd.

I already tried Alcohol 120%, BlindWrite & Clone CD…all the same:
Copying works perfect (less then 7min) so does installing, but when i start the application, it asks for a CD key and says: Verifying CD this takes 2-3min. Afterwards it asks me to insert the correct cd or to enter anudder CD Key.

Any1 got an idea what this could be ?? Since the copying works perfect (no bad sectors etc) i think it must verify its cd key from a region out of the usual read one.

Does any1 know how the protection method is called ?? Can you suggest any piece of software i should try ??

Since software isn’t too expensive, so i don’t think they used a very complicated/ extravagant method to protect their product …

Anyway the app is not popular enough that there could be a crack or whatever :frowning:

Thanks i advance…

da_PiR8

PS: Yop, i entered the rite CD key
PpS: Dunno if this is important: On the inner transparent part of the CD there is “Optical Media Production” printed… perhaps is helps…

AddOn
http://members.fortunecity.com/dapir8/

Pls check this link to see what the protection-check screen i get look like…
(click on verify.jpg)
/AddOn

bump

Do you have “hide media info” enabled in Alcohol?

What is the name of the application?

Thanks for your replies, Sirs.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Do you have “hide media info” enabled in Alcohol?

@rdgrimes: Not sure, thought that option was enabled automatically, i’ll check this evening.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
What is the name of the application?

@Hemispasm: Its called MediScript GK1 '95-'03, its a medical exam application with thousands of multiple choice questions.
For more info check www.mediscript.de

Thanks again guys, if any1 else has a clue bout my prob, just hop on :slight_smile:

da_PiR8

Think i got to BUMP this again…

da_PiR8

You could try scanning the original with Cloney and see what it says about the protection. Also try running from emulation (mounted image) and see if it works that way.

From the procedure you have described in your first post, it seems to me that it is protected the same way Systran is, aka LaserLock (accordingto the company it was LL - Star or something probably v3?).

Maybe trying with Alcohol and the Laserlock profile might help. If that is the case, most probably only emulation would be possible.

I really aqppreciate the help of you two !!

–> CloneyXXL tells me, that there either no, or no known protection.

I tried alcohol with various settings but not with the given profiles.
I’ll try it this evening and let you know tomorrow.

Perhaps two little thingsas addon:

1. Emulating the CD would be more then sufficient !! …since i want to use the app on my notebook, that doesn’t have a CDROM

2. I thought that LaserLock usually creates (hidden) folder so called “LaserLock” on the CD… there is no such thing. …just incase it matters.

Big Thanks guys

da_PiR8

Originally posted by da_PiR8
2) I thought that LaserLock usually creates (hidden) folder so called “LaserLock” on the CD… there is no such thing. …just incase it matters.
Not in this version if memory serves me right

If it’s laserlock star, try alcohol using the starforce1/2 datatype settings. You will need either alcohol or daemon tools on your system with RMPS emulation enabled to use the back-up though.

Give blindwrite a try.

If it’s laserlock star then you’d be wasting your time with blindwrite.

@ da_PiR8

Can you describe the file structure of the cd (including “hidden” folders/directories)? It may well help to identify the protection used.

[AddOn]
http://members.fortunecity.com/dapir8/

Pls check this link to see what the protection-check screen i get looks like…
(click on verify.jpg)
[/AddOn]

Hi again,

Originally posted by philamber
If it’s laserlock star, try alcohol using the starforce1/2 datatype settings. You will need either alcohol or daemon tools on your system with RMPS emulation enabled to use the back-up though.

I tried Alcohol with LaserLock settings & experienced the same problem. I’ll try the StarForce thing this evening & let you know tomorrow.
btw: Whats that RMPS setting ??

–> For makin this clear: The copying process works fine. Takes less then 7min and creates a readable CD. Problem is a protection check after installing & starting the program.

Originally posted by tazdevl
Give blindwrite a try.

Okay, i should have mentioned that i tried CloneCD, CloneyXXL, BlindWrite, Nero and Alcohol120% although i didn’t try every setting in each application.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]If it’s laserlock star then you’d be wasting your time with blindwrite.

@ da_PiR8

Can you describe the file structure of the cd (including “hidden” folders/directories)? It may well help to identify the protection used. [/B]

Good idea, although theres nothing to discribe. The folder tree looks like the one of the previous versions i was able to copy:
Nuthing special, hidden or anything else that would attract my attention. :rolleyes:

Anyway, heres a list:

F:\DISK1.ID
F:\GK1_301
F:\SETUP.EXE
F:\SETUP.INI
F:\SETUP.INS
F:\SETUP.ISS
F:\SETUP.PKG
F:_INST16.EX_
F:_ISDEL.EXE
F:_SETUP.1
F:_SETUP.DLL
F:_SETUP.LIB
F:\GK1_301\Bilder
F:\GK1_301\Fvl1
F:\GK1_301\GK1Bil
F:\GK1_301\GK1FS
F:\GK1_301\GK1Fach
F:\GK1_301\GK1GW
F:\GK1_301\GK1Logo
F:\GK1_301\GK1Stat
F:\GK1_301\Krankhe
F:\GK1_301\Mediscr1.exe
F:\GK1_301\Mediscr1.ini
F:\GK1_301\Medisgk1.hlp
F:\GK1_301\Organ
F:\GK1_301\Prufung
F:\GK1_301\Symptom
F:\GK1_301\Typen
F:\GK1_301\Untersu
F:\GK1_301\gk1

–> As meantioned above: Nuthing hidden or weird in any way.

I really appreciate your support guys, esp since i’m a newby to this baord !!!

da_PiR8

I think it is StarForce.Dunno 2.0 or 3.0

I think you can nothing to do with this disk
StarForce is simple protection but tough nut for developers of cloning software.
This protection just see for fingerprint of first stamp of CD defined by its CD-key. Simple way to bypass it just generate another CD-key :slight_smile: But someone on this forums thinks it would be piracy. So…
Also this protection have some advanced methods to detect Virtual Drives. So with current versions of cloning or emulating software you can do nothing on your problem.

Let’s wait another versions :wink:

P.S. It is StarForce 3 for sure

I f*cked with it !!

…indeed it was Starforce (1.0.0.1) and philamber gave me the important hint by making me check every single file property of each file on the CD…
Of of em had “Protection” in the description & when editin it i found sum text “www.Star-Force.com”.
The rest was a joke: Alcohol 120% with the RMPS, DPM & StarForce options that Hemispasm posted…

[b]This boards really sm0kes !!

BIG THANKS TO EVERY1 WHO REPLIED/HELPED !!![/b]

da_PiR8

Glad it worked for you finally. Just be glad it was starforce 1 not 3. Starforce 3 => forget about it for the time being. :frowning:

Hi everyone!

Nice how you all work together to find solutions!

I am a Newbee, too, and i have the SAME problem using alcohol120 to copy that german medical-question cd.
i tried to follow your instructions, but something must have gone wrong: it didn´t work…

would you PLEASE give me the instructions once more in detail, step by step? and is it important to use a specific brand for the CDR?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Reyk.

You need to use Alcohol 120% with StarForce 1&2 settings
But only if you have Starforce 1 or 2 protected title