CD combo drive can only read CDs but not DVDs

vbimport

My Samsung CD/DVD combo drive (TSSTcorpCDW/DVD SH-M522CTS07) has suddenly stopped reading the DVDs but it reads the CDs (checked 4 DVDs which I had earlier used and 7 CDs) without any glitches ,I did a google about this peculiar problem seems like many people are having this sort of a problem,Did a firmware update ,Hope you guys can help in this ,Thanks!!

PS:I tried this thing which I saw in some other forums which wasn’t useful

• Go to START–>RUN and type devmgmt.msc
• In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
• Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
• Once it’s finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it’s rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit…click “Ok”

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file “filters” and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete…accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

I checked the link below and did all the things mentioned but there was no problem as such

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Hope you guys can help me out in this one :slight_smile:

Would a system restore get you out of this?

Nope ,It dint help

Can you try the drive on another PC at all?