CD Check

vbimport

So CD Check will tell me if i have 100% data?
If all the checks on the program pass with no errors does it mean the files are as in that exact condition they were before burned to the Disc?
If so they’re ok to copy back to the PC?

CD Check is a very accurate program isn’t it?

Yes, along with Windiff , BeyondCompare etc.

I’ll qualify by saying I am very un knolegable about cd burning, but I know a little about dvd and I think the same princaples apply(in most cases). This program seems to do a lot more??? but as far as data verification, You can verify that the data on the disk matches the data on your hard drive???Honestly, verification means shit!!! It means that you made a copy and the data matched. What if the data matches, but if doesn’t match two weeks later? Your data verification didn’t test for that.
Here is what you have to do. It seems complex, but it gets easy.
Know what drive you have (doesn’t matter if it was preinstalled (probably a crap drivem, but maybe not), find what your drive is.
If your drive can scan, scan for god sake.
Cd or dvd, data verification only tells you if it reads the same data offf the disk that you tried to record. So you have created a disk that verified…THat means that the drive was able to read the same info offf the disk as when it was burned. It will not tell you, how well it burned (scan for that). It will not tell you if the media is good (scan for that).
Your scanning options are cdspeed for most drives (it will usally eror if the drive is not supported), defanatlly kprobe is its a liton, plex tools for plextors I woudd imagine etc…

Thanks very much.
But CDCheck will do what i wanted it to do yeah?
If i havnt got the files on the pc still though and theyre only on the disc.
Will CDCheck still tell me if i have all the files on the CD?

I’ll tell you exactly what im after.
I have DVD’s full of DivX video files.
When i watch them i notice freezes and blocks on the videos that i can SWEAR werent there before!
I need a program that’s going to tell me if i have 100% data still on the disc?
No lata loss or corruption?

The prog has to be honest.
At least if it does tell me if i have 100% data it will let me know it wasnt a bad burn and just a bad encode.

Cheers.

ne1?? :smiley: hehe

If i havnt got the files on the pc still though and theyre only on the disc. Will CDCheck still tell me if i have all the files on the CD?

I do not think this could ever be possible. How could a program tell if all your files are on the CD as they should be if it has no way of knowing what files should be on the CD?

Yeah, ideally what imn after is a bit of software.
It’s really really hard to explain for me, lol.
Erm… I want to know if i have 100% of my data on the disc, erm… well lets put it like this, if i cut a divx video file from one hard drive to another it will go in one big do with all of it the file would go over in 1.
I want to know if when i burn it transfers to the cd in one piece without it being corrupted at all.
I need some software which can read off the cd and see if i do have 100% of that file or 99% or 98% if u know what i mean?
Say for example its a divx video file if i were to have 98% of it on the disc caused from a bad burn id get skipping frames etc.
I cant be bothered to watch every movie to test so i need a bit of software which tells me that i have the movie JUST like it was before it went on CD all in one piece (100% of it) with no curruption or loss.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

What are you using for media?

Taiyo Yuden.

You are using quality burners, with good media. As long as your source data is of good quality, you should get quality output nearly every time. Just make sure you burn at the rated speed of the media. If it’s 8x media, burn it at 8x. Not 4x or 12x.

yeah its 8x mate.
So there’s not really any software out there what would be useful for what i wanted then?

Thanks 4 help.

I just do an occasional scan using CDSPEED, and go for the gusto.

eh??

Jay, we have been over this quite thoroughly over the past few weeks & we seem to be repeating the same answers to you.

So I’ll try & summarise.

There are 2 things here.

One is the quality of the burn , which as you’ve got a Benq 1620, you can check with CD/DVD Speed, under disk quality check. This you have been doing. If you get a result of 90% or better then you’ve got a good burn. And as you are using quality media deteriation should not occur. This percentage figure is an arbitary figure which does not represent how much of the data has been successfully copied but tells you , in CD Speeds estimation, how good the burn was. Note here that this is not stating how much of the data was successfully copied.

The other factor is whether the data was copied 100% in the first place. For that you need the original on HDD and compare that with what’s on the CD/DVD. CD Check along with the other software I’ve suggested are 100% accurate in their comparisons and you get a pass or fail result, not 98% or whatever. Without the original data this is not an option.

You must think in these totally separate terms.

At this stage all you can do is the scan & hope for a good result.

With the files that are blocking etc this could be because of a media problem , bad burn/deteriation etc as the playing app cannot handle read errors. If you can successfully copy the file back to the HDD , try playing it & you’ll probably find that the blocking is no longer present. This indicates a media issue which scanning should identify.

The other factor is whether the data was copied 100% in the first place. For that you need the original on HDD and compare that with what’s on the CD/DVD. CD Check along with the other software I’ve suggested are 100% accurate in their comparisons and you get a pass or fail result, not 98% or whatever. Without the original data this is not an option.

This pretty much answers the question…again. If you ONLY have the CD/DVD, then there is NO possible way to know if the disc contains all the files that are supposed to be there and if the data in the files is what it is supposed to be. How could this not be 100% clear?

If I gave you a bucket full of coins and asked you if all my coins were in the bucket and if they were the correct coins, how could you answer?

:stuck_out_tongue:

good point.
Cheers then TimC might see u later mate.
Cheers Richman.