CD [C1/C2] scanning on DH-20A4H

vbimport

Hi; I recently bought a Lite-On DH-20A4H (09C/retail kit), it came with QP35 firmware. I’m pretty happy. but I can not scan CDs, I mean, CD-DVD speed gives a ridiculous lower number of errors and kprobe simply don’t work, not matter with cd I insert it stop at 0:2:0.

I’ve been reading these forums before posting for a while. I read that benq drives are good for scanning cds and that my drive could be crossflashed to a DW2010 then I put a DW2010 5B33 FB on it. It didn’t help to much and btw I get generaly worse quality.

then it would be nice if someone could answer me any of this questions:

1. [li]which drivers are good for cd scanning?
    [/li][li]my drive (org. 20A4H) is able to report correct C1/C2 errors?
    [/li]yes, how?, wich software? …
    [li]apart from DW2010, what other drives It could be possible to crossflash
    [/li]note: I have a backup of the EEPROM and a xsf full backup of the factory firmware; with that data I should be able of recover the drive in case that something goes wrong. don’t you think?
    [li]why do I get that weird kprobe result everytime?
    [/li]I’m using windows xp sp2 plus all updates.

thank you very much, and sorry if somes questions are already answer in the forum but please understand that this comunity is huge and not always is easy to find the information.

BenQ DVD burners (up to 1650/55), Plextor DVD burners (up to the 760), and LiteOn CD burners are good at CD scanning. I found my NEC 4551A was very good also.

None of my LiteOn DVD burners have scanned for C1/C2 errors well. Unrealistically low error numbers, as you’ve noticed.

I’ll leave the rest for other forum members :slight_smile:

Edit: with KProbe, have you tried both the ASPI and SPTI drivers? I had to switch to SPTI to get my LiteOn CD-RW drive recognised in KProbe. :slight_smile:

LiteOn DVD burners report C1/C2 as follows:

C1=E31 (uncorrectable C1 errors only) instead of C1=E11+E21+E31 as would be correct
C2=E32 (uncorrectable C2 errors only)

There aren’t any really good consumer CD scanners left on the market that I’m aware of. If I had to suggest something, I’d suggest a Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burner and using 32x as a scanning speed.

My second choice would be a LiteOn CD-RW drive, but at least the drives I have tested are far to optimistic about disc quality for my taste.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2006869]LiteOn DVD burners report C1/C2 as follows:

C1=E31 (uncorrectable C1 errors only) instead of C1=E11+E21+E31 as would be correct
C2=E32 (uncorrectable C2 errors only)

There aren’t any really good consumer CD scanners left on the market that I’m aware of. If I had to suggest something, I’d suggest a Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burner and using 32x as a scanning speed.

My second choice would be a LiteOn CD-RW drive, but at least the drives I have tested are far to optimistic about disc quality for my taste.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately none of those drives report the jitter. :frowning:

SPTI, but I’m a bit confused there since my aspi option remain unavailable (in gray). I can not check the aspi drivers (???). I uninstall kprobe, uninstall aspi drivers (via forceaspi) and then install kprobe again. but it didn’t solve the issue. and thought that even kprobe install its own aspi drivers (ver. 4.71.2). I don’t know.

the problem is on cd media, dvd media work well. it’s not that kprobe report few c1 errors, it’s that kprobe don’t even attempt to read the cd. it only scan from 0:0:0 to 0:2:0. btw I get this same issue with my previous SH-S202N thus I gess it’s a software problem.

anyone get this issue?

thanks for your help and suggestions. seems that all drives you mention are old. about the Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burners maybe in the near future I could buy one.

what do you think of the AD-7191S?
it’s suposed to be equivalent to DH-20A3L.

[QUOTE=mognegna;2006912]Unfortunately none of those drives report the jitter. :([/QUOTE]

Yes this is too bad, only BenQ burners are able to do this.:sad: