CD burning nightmare

vbimport

[QUOTE=Arachne;2115552]:iagree:…following on from what Albert said, I would recommend picking up an NEC/Optiarc for CDR/RW burning duties (newest ones are the 72xx series) - my older NEC/Optiarc 5170S (and even older NEC 4551A) both do a sterling job in that respect. :)[/QUOTE]

But again here’s the thing - and again refer to the graph: The CD players on my Sony X-Plod boombox(monstrosity if you’ve ever seen one :slight_smile: ), the JVC DVD unit in my home theater, the CD in my '05 Malibu, my wife’s equally young Toyota, and any CD or DVD unit I’ve played them on in a store has NO PROBLEM with the ones I’ve burned at home on my Vista Machine, despite all the “jitters” it may be prone to.

As for CD-Rs(write-once only if I’m correct?) they will NOT play on the older gear listed above at all, despite CD-R’s reputation for better pit contrast and being overall closer to Redbook. The newer players will either struggle to play them or cannot play them at all.

I will switch to the Sony brand of CD-R and see what happens.

If nothing improves I will dispense with the antiquated process of burning discs and get with the freakin’ program by purchasing a MP3 player. :wink:

[QUOTE=DJCapricorn;2115660]I will switch to the Sony brand of CD-R and see what happens.[/QUOTE]Good idea. Remember, just make sure you buy the Sony Audio CDs, and absoultely above all, check the packaging to make certain that it says “Made In Japan.”

And if that can’t be found, Maxell Pro CD-R, also made in Japan, is made by Taiyo Yuden and should be just about the quality of the Sony Music/Audio CD-R [B]Sean[/B] specified above. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2115682]And if that can’t be found, Maxell Pro CD-R, also made in Japan, is made by Taiyo Yuden and should be just about the quality of the Sony Music/Audio CD-R [B]Sean[/B] specified above. :)[/QUOTE]

Albert/etal: UPDATE:

Bought these (in a 10-pack): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RYF5Y3S4L.SL160.jpg

Same results as in my chart in the original post. Will not play on my older CD-players(JVC, Kenwood).

If only I could get ahold of a blank of the Imations I burned last year at my last job and try burning one in my home PC. If that doesn’t work then I know for sure it’s my CD/DVD-burner in my computer that is defective and will have to be replaced under warranty.

What a pain in the ass!!

Wait, you burned the Imation disc last year, with a different drive, and not with this computer? Just double checking to make sure I didn’t miss something…

[QUOTE=Albert;2129122]Wait, you burned the Imation disc last year, with a different drive, and not with this computer? Just double checking to make sure I didn’t miss something…[/QUOTE]

Look closely up at my graph, Albert. It says, in small letters, the operating system I burned the Imations(that play on everything) on. That was my computer at WORK. The others(Memorex CD-RW and CD-R), and now the Sony Music CD-Rs, that will not play on my older players, were burned at home on my HP Vista tower.

I’m sorry this is so confusing but I really need to isolate the root of the problem here. If it really is my home PC’s burner then I will have to have the drive replaced under warrenty(I have until March 2009).

[QUOTE=DJCapricorn;2129126]Look closely up at my graph, Albert. It says, in small letters, the operating system I burned the Imations(that play on everything) on.[/QUOTE]Riiigt. Sorry. I noticed your time-line, and kinda missed the fact that you just this year got the computer but said that some of the discs were from last year.

If that’s the case [which I don’t think any of us realized], this makes perfect sense now; try to get a different drive [preferably an Optiarc 7200 series drive, at the moment]. If you try to get the drive replaced under warranty, you will probably get the same drive back, or at least the same model, and it is a model-wide problem, not just with your specific drive. :wink:

Buy a new burner. One that work good with CD’s. Samsung or the new Optiarc series suggested above. Pioneer or LG are also good options.
Get a new burner ASAP. It’s looks ike your is either bad at writing cd’s (new firmware might help) or it has served it’s time.

[QUOTE=memberix;2129305]Buy a new burner. One that work good with CD’s. Samsung or the new Optiarc series suggested above. Pioneer or LG are also good options.
Get a new burner ASAP. It’s looks ike your is either bad at writing cd’s (new firmware might help) or it has served it’s time.[/QUOTE]

The computer is essentially new, so this burner cannot have “served its time” . I bought it in March of 2008. And like I said, the discs burned on it work in any CD player made in the last 7 or so years. Are the older players just more sensitive to the discs this computer burns?

I have also been told that I was “damned lucky” that any of those Imations played in a player mfgd before the year 2000, and, that Imations are “crap”. If so, I’ll gladly go out and buy more Imations - wherever they can be found(Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, etc. do not sell them), and try them at home. Another man’s garbage just might be my gold!

In summary, people, I just want to do at home what I did with no problem last year at my old job: Stick a CD into a computer, burn songs to it, and go. No BS, no compatibility issues, no external burners or other nonsense cluttering up the limited space I have. If other people, with far less knowledge of what they’re doing than you or I can make music CDs on the same computer they game on, do e-mails on, and build spreadsheets on, than so can I.

The drive being old vs being new is NOT the problem. The problem is in the design of LiteOn DVD burning drives; they are poor CD writers. I know this to be a fact. Very few of their 16x DVD burners [and faster] have managed to burn CDs with decent quality, and the 20x drive models [of which, your 16x drive is one] have actually shown they’re not good at writing CDs compatible with some older players/some car players, as older players cannot tolerate the mediocre writing quality.

I have experienced poor write quality myself causing playback issues. [I]Using a different burner solved the problem.[/I]

I’m also a bit confused now.
Last time I checked the thread, my (temporary) conclusion was that the burner was the culprit, not the media.

EDIT Oh well, I’m a couple of posts late. Sorry guys :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2129357]EDIT Oh well, I’m a couple of posts late. Sorry guys :p[/QUOTE]Hehe, it’s OK. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2129348]The drive being old vs being new is NOT the problem. The problem is in the design of LiteOn DVD burning drives; they are poor CD writers. I know this to be a fact. Very few of their 16x DVD burners [and faster] have managed to burn CDs with decent quality, and the 20x drive models [of which, your 16x drive is one] have actually shown they’re not good at writing CDs compatible with some older players/some car players, as older players cannot tolerate the mediocre writing quality.

I have experienced poor write quality myself causing playback issues. [I]Using a different burner solved the problem.[/I][/QUOTE]

So what I’ll probably have to do is go outside of warranty and purchase a replacement drive/burner - of a different brand - that is compatible with this Pavillion. Any recommendations?

As mentioned, my choice of the newest drives would be an Optiarc 72xx series.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2129518]Optiarc 72xx series.[/QUOTE]:iagree: That, or a Pioneer 15 line (115, 215…). These (the NEC and the PIONEER) are probably the best choices at the moment. Beware, though: don’t go for another NEC model than the 72xx line! Some NEC lines are awful. :cop:

Best solution in your case: an external (USB) burner! :cool:

EDIT If CDR burning quality is your main concern, go for the NEC.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2129530]:iagree: That, or a Pioneer 15 line (115, 215…). These (the NEC and the PIONEER) are probably the best choices at the moment. Beware, though: don’t go for another NEC model than the 72xx line! Some NEC lines are awful. :cop:

Best solution in your case: an external (USB) burner! :cool:

EDIT If CDR burning quality is your main concern, go for the NEC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the model suggestions. As I stated, I need something that will go in my tower.

Thanks

Optiarc AD-7200S
Optiarc AD-7201S
Optiarc AD-7203S

all the above are SATA, like your current drive, and are part of the 72xx drives we’re talking about. :slight_smile:

Just make sure that you get a SATA data cable separately to go along with the drive when purchasing! :wink:

[QUOTE=DJCapricorn;2114857]Hello, I was recommended to this forum with some problems related to blank CDs that I have been burning over the past year.
Please study my table for the clearest explanation as to what’s happening. It’s really annoying![/QUOTE]

Where do you keep these burned CD’s? (do you keep them in the various cars alot, or do you keep them in a binder and bring them back into the house?)

Also, what sort of environment are the other players in?

I used to work in a pizza place, and the cornmeal -ALWAYS- contributed to media deterioration even if I didn’t leave the CD’s at the resturant.

If you leave them in the car, even on ocasion (like you go out visiting or something) can also affect the CD’s: A car out in the sun on a hot summer day can degrade CD’s reguardless of initial quality (I even seen some normal CD’s warp from heat in a very short period of time)

What I do for my travel music is I use whatever is the cheapest CD media at hand (I only buy good stuff personally but do get the ocasional junk-brands like Memorex as gifts from others) cause I know whatever I use will deteriorate quickly due to the elements.

Also, some players are more fussy with RW media than normal non-RW media.

Also, read the thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/media-faq-61943/ (especially question 16)

Yeah I think we’ve pretty solidly estabilished that it’s an issue with the burner and not the media or the storage of the media (though those things are of couse also very important.)

DJCapricorn, Sadly it’s been my experience that these days Liteon often have pretty maginal compatibility with stand alone players. I think they only care about whether they can be read in computers not in player. :frowning:

I’ve had much better success with Pioneer than Liteon lately. Any of the Pioneer 212 or 215 series models should give you good results.