Cd burning issue

vbimport

Hi all

winxp pro SP3
Loadsa ram
dual core
2 X lite on dvdrw LH-20A 1H

I went to burn a cdr for audio cd using wmp9 and got an error message;

“Windows Media Player cannot burn the files to the CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. If necessary, select a slower recording speed or try a different brand of blank discs.”

So I complied with that but to no avail. So i tried burning an audio cd within i-tunes, and that failed aswell as Nero. I tried my CD/R discs on another PC without a problem so next I installed WMP 11, but still the same. Then after more googling I installed aspi files and checked with an aspi checker and they were installed properly and no probs were reported, I also loaded the latest firmware for the 2 optical drives but still the same issue.

Now my heads totally batterd and I can’t seem to find an answer. I can’t see it being an issue with the cdr’s or the media programs so that just leaves me believing something on my system is corrupted, or settings may be wrong somewhere.

Please somebody put me out of my misery. also I changed dma to pio then back and also tried burning at slower speeds and stopping uneeded services.

HELP!!!:a :a :a

Hi p.mc and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Is there an error message that comes in Nero? Can you provide the log file?

Also ASPI is not required in XP - what version did you install?

Hi Hemispasm

It’s a power calibration error. I’ve been around the block with this problem and getting some help from the news groups. Below is a protion of what I’ve tried but nothing seems to have worked. I’m guessing it has something to do with the power supply to the opt drives.

Tried different CD-R discs.
Cleaned lenses.
Added latest firmware.
Insatalled logitechs ASPI layer ( early Version, as stated “More stable”)
and checked with ASPI checker.
Removed KB929399 (read somewhere gave probs) no joy re- installed fix.
Flashed Bios.
Updated Nvidia chipset.
Uninstalled both optical drives and let windows load em back.
Changed from DMA to PIO and back.
Changed WMP from 9 to 11.
Made sure IMAPI runs automatically in services. then read disable IMAPI, tried that but never worked for me and re-enabled it as WMP 11 told me to attach drives and restart program.
Error correction wasn’t checked so tried that, but to no avail.
Tried kelly’s Korner link…No joy.
I’ve been juggling (Enable CD Recording on this drive) on both drives.
Uninstalled I-tunes Ver 8 (Trying anything)
Googled intensly and found others with same issue different drives and
systems but no real fix.

I can burn/read dvd data on both drives, read on both CD drives but not burn
CD data or audio, but still none the wiser.

Yep you’ve been around the block alright :slight_smile:

Then you know already that power calibration errors can be usually the result of the media used or just hardware failure. Since you have tried different media (hoping TY and verbatim would be in the list), updating the firmware and even cleaning the lens with no luck, then i would guess your last option just to be sure it is hardware failure is to move the drive to a different system and check there.

If the calibration error persists, then i guess it would be time for a new drive (if CD burning is essential that is).

Edit: Wait, just noticed, do you have the same problem with both drives? And it showed up at the same time?

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2158060]Yep you’ve been around the block alright :slight_smile:

Then you know already that power calibration errors can be usually the result of the media used or just hardware failure. Since you have tried different media (hoping TY and verbatim would be in the list), updating the firmware and even cleaning the lens with no luck, then i would guess your last option just to be sure it is hardware failure is to move the drive to a different system and check there.

If the calibration error persists, then i guess it would be time for a new drive (if CD burning is essential that is).

Edit: Wait, just noticed, do you have the same problem with both drives? And it showed up at the same time?[/QUOTE]

I can say for sure power calibration is result of the unit going to the heap. I had a 20A1H LL0D and it died on me and now I have a 20A4H unit. I can say for sure power calibration means it died, cause I did everything under the sun that I could and couldn’t get it back alive so I knew then it was a gonner. AFAIK

I can say for sure power calibration is result of the unit going to the heap. I had a 20A1H LL0D and it died on me and now I have a 20A4H unit. I can say for sure power calibration means it died, cause I did everything under the sun that I could and couldn’t get it back alive so I knew then it was a gonner. AFAIK
Agreed, power calibration could be a hardware failure, as i already mentioned - however, the inability to calibrate the beam can also be a result of the media used.

Nevertheless having simultaneously calibration problems on two different drives does sound a bit odd - what are the chances really? :slight_smile:

p.mc just check both drives in another pc (preferably not in an enclosure) and let us know. If they do work fine, i would go for changing cables or even maybe trying another PSU if available.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2158129]Agreed, power calibration could be a hardware failure, as i already mentioned - however, the inability to calibrate the beam can also be a result of the media used.

Nevertheless having simultaneously calibration problems on two different drives does sound a bit odd - what are the chances really? :slight_smile:

p.mc just check both drives in another pc (preferably not in an enclosure) and let us know. If they do work fine, i would go for changing cables or even maybe trying another PSU if available.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is odd two unit showing the same error is odd at best. I would also say invest in verbatim +R and DL media and try again and see if you don’t get the same message. If you do then I guess one or both are just bad. I would email and complain to liteon about that problem. How old are your 20A1H drive? Mine with constant burning lasted 6 years give or take. I knew something was wrong when it keep making coasters after coaster at 2-2.4 DL burn speed that how I knew something was a miss and also the power calibration message came up during that time.