CD Audio Static high tracks (Sony AW-G170S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony AW-G170S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have an odd problem with a AWG170S-B2 when playing a CD the audio tracks towards the end of the CD are filled with distortion such as a steady clicking in background and static on high notes. The CD itself plays ok when install a Teac IDE CD-ROM in the same system and also plays on other stereos and PCs I have without this problem.

I upgraded to firmware 1.73 from the Sony-optiariac site and thought I noticed a slight improvement but the problem is still there. I tried uninstalling the driver and allowing XP to auto reinstall, no luck. I also tried unchecking digital CD audio in driver properties. Still no luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

thx

Welcome to the forum.
Burn the CD’s at 16x speed. This should clear the problem, if not you may need to try different media.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2238691]Welcome to the forum.
Burn the CD’s at 16x speed. This should clear the problem, if not you may need to try different media.[/QUOTE]

This was a CD burned on a different PC. I want to play or rip the songs off it but cannot with this drive because of the static. Not sure you can change the read speed.

If the contents of the said CD are copyright, then we can’t help you. You are only entitled (depending on where your located) to make a backup of an original CD.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2238828]If the contents of the said CD are copyright, then we can’t help you. You are only entitled (depending on where your located) to make a backup of an original CD.[/QUOTE]

This is not a copyright issue and besides it does not even play without static, forget about ripping. The CD plays fine everywhere else but not on the AWG170S-B2. Like I said I put a Teac IDE CD in that same system and it plays fine.

So to rule out a SATA issue with the AWG170S-B2 I dug out a spare SATA Sony-Optiariac DVD-ROM DDU-1671S. Works perfectly without any static but since it is not a DVD-R I went ahead and ordered a LG GH22LS30 to replace the Sony AWG170S-B2.

So what do you think? Should I trash the AWG170S-B2 or do you think it is just something specific to audio CDs? Because of this problem I am a little leary of using it to burn data now or installing it anywhere else. But would hate to chuck it if is is something fixable.

Thanks for your help.