CD and DVD drivers for Pavilion DV5000

vbimport

Dear HP staff,

Without going into exhausting detail, let me just start by stating I am rubbed in the wrong direction after having spoken with your phone support team. I am having a simple driver update problem wherein my HP Pavilion DV5000 is no longer recognizing the factory-shipped CD/DVD burner drive. Having had this problem in the past with various products, my experience has taught me that all I need to do is download and re-install the driver specific for the hardware in question. However, unlike Dell and other computers (including VooDoo, which HP now owns! Go figure THAT one out!), this Pavilion does NOT include drivers for the DVD drive!

Yup, I've been all over the website trying to find the drivers for the DVD drive. No game. So I think "No problem, I'll call the good folks at HP and I'm sure they'll be happy to get me the driver. After all, I'm a customer, and if they help me out, when this computer finally bites the dust, I'll be spending another SMALL FORTUNE (have you seen prices on laptops?) on another laptop computer. I'm the boss!" Boy was I mistaken!! I was told that since this device is out of warranty, the support team is unable to offer me so much as a single word of advice. I called a second time and the representative slipped up and offered me a little bit of help before checking the warranty status. I imagine he has already been ritually sacrificed by the Indian overlords running his call center, and his sorry soul is being flayed alive for all of eternity in the deepest pits of Hewlett-Packard Elysium. To his family and children: my apologies.

Good grief though, he wouldn't even tell me to try pushing F11 at startup to run system restore! I did some digging through the (unhelpful!) HP Help & Support software. The result? It links me to the SAME drivers page as the HP.com website and proceeds to STILL not offer me a driver for my DVD drive. The solution it offers? Push F11 at startup. Groovy! Tried that. No F11 option. I get F10 for Setup, F12 to boot from a LAN, and ESC to change the boot order. No F11 restore. And of course the clever devils running HP have this "You don't NEED a restore disc, we have that built in!" mentality which I'm certain has made their shareholders chuckle all the way to the bank. Why not save 50-cents per order by not including a CD with basic drivers and recovery material, right?

So now I'm sitting here with a computer that can run calc.exe, Firefox, and that's about it. If ever I need to calculate the first 10,000 digits of pi, I'm solid. For actually using my computer, though, it's a hunk of junk.

So now for my question to the Powers that Be on the forum: Where are the drivers for the DVD and CD drive on this computer? Device Manager is telling me the drives in question are:

1.) BOJ Z8HUF41I3G SCSI CdRom Device
2.) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

I will note I’ve seen a loooooot of cheesed-off forum posts via Google.com of people with this particular model saying “Hey, where’s the driver download for the DVD drive?” so I’m well aware that I’m not the first dufus to have this problem. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday (it was the day before, but I digress).

I just want to get the drivers so I can watch a DVD (that was LEGALLY purchased! In this day and age: imagine!) on my laptop computer. I am 100% positive that some day in the very near future, this computer is going to undergo thermonuclear overheating death resulting in 3rd degree burns on my lap and death and dismemberment to anyone unlucky enough to be in the basement directly below wherever I happen to be sitting at the time.

At that time, I will undoubtedly be in the market for another computer. However, to whom I give my hard-earned money will be determined in large part by the response I get to this post.

Let me give you some further background: I also have an old VooDoo computer, a company that was bought-out by HP. That computers motherboard, an ASUS A78VNX 2.0 Deluxe, has recently DIED. It fails to POST. Not even so much as a beep. I long for the days when I got a beep from my happy little BIOS. I’ve tried power-cycling the motherboard, changing the pin jumpers, etc. It’s dead. I need a new motherboard.

So in my mind, that’s TWO HP products that have both FAILED in the last 48 hours. HP is, therefore, on shaky ground with this fellow. In the latter case, HP has stated they are UNABLE to help me, which is understandable and forgivable. I do not expect a brand new motherboard when mine is out of warranty. That’s fine. However, in the former case, HP has simply stated they are UNWILLING to assist me, and that really REALLY irks me.

In my mind, HP doesn’t stop owing me its loyalty 1 year after I make a purchase unless they change their motto to “Welcome to HP: We’ll see you again next year!” At that point I will happily go to some other manufacturer for my home computing needs. Perhaps I am mistaken. Perhaps in this day and age only the almighty dollar means something. However, if HP is too myopic to see that by shortchanging me they are driving me away as a customer, then I’m happy to speak loudly and clearly by churning and going to another company.

So in short, your customer service so far as been non-existent, I have 2 HP computers, 2 HP printers, and 2 HP digital cameras. At some point, all of those products are going to need replacement (my wallet is crying now! Another sleepless night of trying to dry his tears and assure him it will be alright and we’ll get through this crisis somehow!). Shall we get me a driver to get my DVD drive working again, or shall I add HP to my “naughty” list and check the “nice” list for another purveyor of mediocre electronic appliances?

There, let the goofs in suits sitting in a high-rise in New York City ruminate on THAT one a while!

Sincerely,
David Stratton

P.S. I actually do want some support. I promise to behave and be polite with the actual representative. I’m just EXTREMELY peeved by the way I’ve been handled like a head of cattle by HP thus far. I work in a call center for a nationwide cell phone provider with 87.7million customers, so I know how much the tech job stinks, but for crying out loud, how about some SERVICE!? God bless you!

I really don’t know who the “powers that be” are in this forum, certainly no one from HP. Whatever you problem is, it isn’t the driver/s. The driver/s for optical drives come with the operating system, in your case Windows. Don’t believe it? Try any bootable modern Linux distro and watch as your drives are detected. Do you think OD makers supply proprietary drivers to the open software community? Your problem could be related to the upper/lower filters, just use google, and you can try uninstalling the drive/s in device manager, rebooting and let windows reinstall. I understand your frustration, but the problem isn’t the driver/s.

Sir, you are so off the mark it’s not even funny. This forum has absolutely NOTHING to to with HP! This is an independent site comprised of various tech geeks and newbies alike, but we have no direct ties with Hewlett-Packard or any of their affiliated companies.

If you want official support from HP, you should call them back, or head over to their web site. How you even got here is a complete mystery to me, but to mistake us for HP support is totally baffling.

We certainly do not care to hear you ranting and raving about problems which do not concern us.

I am having a simple driver update problem wherein my HP Pavilion DV5000 is no longer recognizing the factory-shipped CD/DVD burner drive.

Could you please elaborate your problem with your machine. It seems your dvd drive is working quite fine for normal data dvd discs, but you have troubles watching a normal dvd movie on it?

I know from experience that most HP computers come with a lot of ‘special tools’ that should enhance the user experience. I also know most of those tools do the exact opposite of that. :slight_smile:

May i recommend using a open source freeware playback program that also can play dvd movies? Please try VLC Media Player for Windows.

Do you want us to offer comments before you send this letter to HP?

At any rate, perhaps you need to set your bios to autodetect to ensure it picks up the drive.

[QUOTE=1John5vs7;2474478]Dear HP staff,

Without going into exhausting detail, let me just start by stating I am rubbed in the wrong direction after having spoken with your phone support team. I am having a simple driver update problem wherein my HP Pavilion DV5000 is no longer recognizing the factory-shipped CD/DVD burner drive. Having had this problem in the past with various products, my experience has taught me that all I need to do is download and re-install the driver specific for the hardware in question. However, unlike Dell and other computers (including VooDoo, which HP now owns! Go figure THAT one out!), this Pavilion does NOT include drivers for the DVD drive!

Yup, I've been all over the website trying to find the drivers for the DVD drive. No game. So I think "No problem, I'll call the good folks at HP and I'm sure they'll be happy to get me the driver. After all, I'm a customer, and if they help me out, when this computer finally bites the dust, I'll be spending another SMALL FORTUNE (have you seen prices on laptops?) on another laptop computer. I'm the boss!" Boy was I mistaken!! I was told that since this device is out of warranty, the support team is unable to offer me so much as a single word of advice. I called a second time and the representative slipped up and offered me a little bit of help before checking the warranty status. I imagine he has already been ritually sacrificed by the Indian overlords running his call center, and his sorry soul is being flayed alive for all of eternity in the deepest pits of Hewlett-Packard Elysium. To his family and children: my apologies.

Good grief though, he wouldn't even tell me to try pushing F11 at startup to run system restore! I did some digging through the (unhelpful!) HP Help & Support software. The result? It links me to the SAME drivers page as the HP.com website and proceeds to STILL not offer me a driver for my DVD drive. The solution it offers? Push F11 at startup. Groovy! Tried that. No F11 option. I get F10 for Setup, F12 to boot from a LAN, and ESC to change the boot order. No F11 restore. And of course the clever devils running HP have this "You don't NEED a restore disc, we have that built in!" mentality which I'm certain has made their shareholders chuckle all the way to the bank. Why not save 50-cents per order by not including a CD with basic drivers and recovery material, right?

So now I'm sitting here with a computer that can run calc.exe, Firefox, and that's about it. If ever I need to calculate the first 10,000 digits of pi, I'm solid. For actually using my computer, though, it's a hunk of junk.

So now for my question to the Powers that Be on the forum: Where are the drivers for the DVD and CD drive on this computer? Device Manager is telling me the drives in question are:

1.) BOJ Z8HUF41I3G SCSI CdRom Device
2.) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

I will note I’ve seen a loooooot of cheesed-off forum posts via Google.com of people with this particular model saying “Hey, where’s the driver download for the DVD drive?” so I’m well aware that I’m not the first dufus to have this problem. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday (it was the day before, but I digress).

I just want to get the drivers so I can watch a DVD (that was LEGALLY purchased! In this day and age: imagine!) on my laptop computer. I am 100% positive that some day in the very near future, this computer is going to undergo thermonuclear overheating death resulting in 3rd degree burns on my lap and death and dismemberment to anyone unlucky enough to be in the basement directly below wherever I happen to be sitting at the time.

At that time, I will undoubtedly be in the market for another computer. However, to whom I give my hard-earned money will be determined in large part by the response I get to this post.

Let me give you some further background: I also have an old VooDoo computer, a company that was bought-out by HP. That computers motherboard, an ASUS A78VNX 2.0 Deluxe, has recently DIED. It fails to POST. Not even so much as a beep. I long for the days when I got a beep from my happy little BIOS. I’ve tried power-cycling the motherboard, changing the pin jumpers, etc. It’s dead. I need a new motherboard.

So in my mind, that’s TWO HP products that have both FAILED in the last 48 hours. HP is, therefore, on shaky ground with this fellow. In the latter case, HP has stated they are UNABLE to help me, which is understandable and forgivable. I do not expect a brand new motherboard when mine is out of warranty. That’s fine. However, in the former case, HP has simply stated they are UNWILLING to assist me, and that really REALLY irks me.

In my mind, HP doesn’t stop owing me its loyalty 1 year after I make a purchase unless they change their motto to “Welcome to HP: We’ll see you again next year!” At that point I will happily go to some other manufacturer for my home computing needs. Perhaps I am mistaken. Perhaps in this day and age only the almighty dollar means something. However, if HP is too myopic to see that by shortchanging me they are driving me away as a customer, then I’m happy to speak loudly and clearly by churning and going to another company.

So in short, your customer service so far as been non-existent, I have 2 HP computers, 2 HP printers, and 2 HP digital cameras. At some point, all of those products are going to need replacement (my wallet is crying now! Another sleepless night of trying to dry his tears and assure him it will be alright and we’ll get through this crisis somehow!). Shall we get me a driver to get my DVD drive working again, or shall I add HP to my “naughty” list and check the “nice” list for another purveyor of mediocre electronic appliances?

There, let the goofs in suits sitting in a high-rise in New York City ruminate on THAT one a while!

Sincerely,
David Stratton

P.S. I actually do want some support. I promise to behave and be polite with the actual representative. I’m just EXTREMELY peeved by the way I’ve been handled like a head of cattle by HP thus far. I work in a call center for a nationwide cell phone provider with 87.7million customers, so I know how much the tech job stinks, but for crying out loud, how about some SERVICE!? God bless you![/QUOTE]