CD and DVD "Access Denied" on install

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-4550A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]When I start up both my CD and DVD get an error when new hardware is found. This happens on every startup.

The message is: Cannot Install this Hardware. There is a problem installing your Hardware. An error occurred during the installation of the device. Access Denied.

Then it says its finished and you may have problems with the hardware. I can only click finished.

The Drive are a Lite-ON CD and NEC DVD. Both then show as CD-Drives…but the DVD can not read DVDs. When I use Nero it does see the NEC DVD and it can burn the DVD as a DVD. But XP does not see the disk or DVD in explorer.

I have tired removing the upper and lower with that CDGONE registry updater but that does not help. Today I replaced the Driver.cab file from a XP disk and the problem remains the same.

Any help on how to get past this error would be great…thanks

Hi,

access denied means, there is a permission problem.
In case you are logged in with administrative permissions, then you shouldn’t have that problem unless something with the permissions in the relevant registry branches is messed up for whatever reason.

At the moment I have no idea if there is a way to restore the default permissions apart from repair install, reinstall or recover from a recent backup or system restore.

In case you have no administrative permissions, then this might be normal after hardware changes (inluding firmware updates). Logging on as user with admin priviledge should then fix that.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2204635]Hi,

access denied means, there is a permission problem.
In case you are logged in with administrative permissions, then you shouldn’t have that problem unless something with the permissions in the relevant registry branches is messed up for whatever reason.

At the moment I have no idea if there is a way to restore the default permissions apart from repair install, reinstall or recover from a recent backup or system restore.

In case you have no administrative permissions, then this might be normal after hardware changes (inluding firmware updates). Logging on as user with admin priviledge should then fix that.

Michael[/QUOTE]
I checked my current login and it shows as having administrator privileges. I will give this a few more days to see if another response comes. If not I will give a repair install, I really can not do a full install because I have so many old programs I don’t want to reinstall, plus some passwords saved on programs. Thanks

Maybe a bad IDE cable? Wrong jumper settings on the drives?