CD 99 track limit and MP3 files

vbimport

The CD audio format limits the number of tracks on any single disc to 99. If you burn lower bit rate MP3 or WMA files you can easily exceed this 99 limit. Or would you? Does the limit only apply to WAV files? Or does it apply to all formats?

And what, if any limits, are there for DVD +R discs?

CD Audio (CD-DA) is not the same as a data CD with WAV files.

There is a limit of 99 tracks on CD Audio discs.

There is no general limit on number of folders or files for data CDs with MP3 or WMA files, but some players have their own limitations some of which are indeed 99 folders and/or 99 MP3/WMA files per folder or 99 MP3/WMA files altogether.

You will have to test or read the manual for your specific player(s) to know which limits apply in your case.

I have Cd’s completely full of MP3 in the root directory, and there is no problem at all.

I think you don’t have to worry about it

Thanks. Have you ever popped a CD into your DVD player to play your MP3 tracks? I have a DVD machine connected to my home stereo and would like to use it to play recorded DVDs. But I don’t know if my remote will let me jump to song #299, for example. Any idea if this is a limitation for remote controls on DVD machines?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2142549]CD Audio (CD-DA) is not the same as a data CD with WAV files.

There is a limit of 99 tracks on CD Audio discs.

There is no general limit on number of folders or files for data CDs with MP3 or WMA files, but some players have their own limitations some of which are indeed 99 folders and/or 99 MP3/WMA files per folder or 99 MP3/WMA files altogether.

You will have to test or read the manual for your specific player(s) to know which limits apply in your case.[/QUOTE]

So when I burn a CD with MP3 files I am creating a data disc and not a CD audio disc, is that right? My DVD player supports the MP3 format. Does this mean it will be able to play the MP3 data disc even though it isn’t in CD audio format?

[quote=sc_1004;2142651]So when I burn a CD with MP3 files I am creating a data disc and not a CD audio disc, is that right? My DVD player supports the MP3 format. Does this mean it will be able to play the MP3 data disc even though it isn’t in CD audio format?[/quote] A CD/DVD with MP3 files is by definition a data disc.

A CD Audio (CD-DA = Compact Disc Digital Audio) is a special format that doesn’t contain a filesystem but rather the tracks in “raw” form. This is the format on the commercial music CDs you can buy.

You can make an Audio CD by converting MP3 files, but that’s another story.

One thing to watch, some DVD players with MP3/JPG and other file CD capabilty, may not have the same capability on DVD.

Low bitrate files take their capacity on a data disc, but their TIME when converted to audio CD.

[QUOTE=Matth;2142708]One thing to watch, some DVD players with MP3/JPG and other file CD capabilty, may not have the same capability on DVD.

Low bitrate files take their capacity on a data disc, but their TIME when converted to audio CD.[/QUOTE]

Is the same true for DVD discs? If I create a DVD video - ie, that conforms to that format - am I restricted by the time limit (like 120 min)?

What if the video has no video content (a blanck screen) but only audio content? Am I still limited to the TIME limit? That would be a horrendous waste of disc space!

DVD Video is a compressed format, so just as DVD recorders can put anything from 1 to 8 hours on a 4.7GB, a DVD video can be authored to higher or lower compression.

For recorders:
High quality = 1 hour, higher than standard DVD quality
Standard play = 2 hour
Long play = 4 hour
Super long play = 8 hour, and potentally sub-VHS quality.

For an audio only DVD, the video bitrate can be crushed, though it’s down to the encoder if it makes a passable job of handling stills (eg. put a “Now playing” in), putting most of the available bitrate into keyframes.