CCE makes video too soft

vbimport

I have a problem with CCE. I here it is supposed to be the best, but, in makes my videos to soft.

TMPGEnc does a good job keeping he video close to the proper sharpness, but, CCE does a better job on multi-pass processing, except for this softness problem.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to set CCE properly?

I have tried changing all the setting I could think of that would change it, with no luck at all.

I am using CCE SP v2.70.02.12

Thanks for any help. :slight_smile:

How do you use the encoder, standalone or by other program? An encoder itself should not really make the image quality softer than source. It maybe related to the matrix utilized or use of filters in the pre-processing. HC Encoder has comparable image quality to CCE for most users perceptions and is opensource freeware. I would recommend it as an alternative choice.

I frequently use CCE with DVD Rebuilder and use a number of different Matrices, but with any of them I generally see a slight softening of the image compared to a transcoder (using no filters). It’s only a minor softening though, except with the heavy compression matrices, and it’s a worthy tradeoff compared to the macroblocking that you’ll see with heavier compression with a transcoder. For lighter compression amounts such as around 80%+, I usually use either DVD Shrink or Nero Recode since it’s faster and does yield a slightly sharper image, though the overall image quality is worse once compression levels get heavier. But for slight compression levels, I actually prefer the image from a transcoder.

I use the encoder as a standalone. I use TMPGEnc and there is no softening, but, the quality is not as good.

I will look into HC Encoder. I am always up for trying new software if it may suit my needs better! :slight_smile:

but, I have heard how great CCE is supposed to be, and it is supposed to be the “Hollywood Standard” and all… I just don’t see it…

Thanks for the reply!

I sure wish I was only getting slight instead of huge softening…

Well, I do use transcoders when I am shrinking a DVD, but, I am processing a lot of my own video, so, it is not in Mpeg-2 yet. I use lossless AVI files…

Did you have to do something special to get it only to do slight softening, or was that just your overall experience with CCE?

If you’re using CCE as a standalone program, you might want to look into using it with a frontend program that will allow you to tweak the settings. Of course you can do this yourself in CCE, but it’s more intuitive with a frontend.

I can’t figure out how to open my AVI files with HC Encoder, CCE and TMPGEnc just opens them, I guess I will have to do some research on what D2V and AVS files are, I capture my video to AVI, I never heard of either of these…

Try the FilmMachine which supports AVI conversion to MPEG-2 with HC Encoder/CCE support.

http://members.home.nl/thefilmmachine/

OK, I didn’t know there was anything like that out there, I will find them and try them, thanks! :slight_smile:

Ok, I will try that one, thanks! :slight_smile: