CCE better than TMPG - why?

It has been stated in these forums that CCE is the better encoder. I’m curious as to why it’s better. Does it simply encode faster, do the results look better on the screen, are it’s encoding algorithms superior or… what??

Or are the differences not worth worrying about?

Merry Christmas all :slight_smile:

Better quality.

In my (very limited) experience with TMPG and CCE, CCE is faster. And as the Davidguy said, it looks better :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, is it possible to elaborate on the “looks better” bit?
“Looks better” is a relative and somewhat subjective term - I know from experience that most people wouldn’t know a (technically) good picture if they fell over it. I’ve seen TV’s where the contrast is wound up so much that I need sunglasses, or the colour is absolutely saturated but the owner thinks it’s a great picture. Adjust it to as close to broadcast quality as possible, and they don’t like it!

I guess what I’m getting at is whether the encoding capability of the two proggies is sufficiently different that it can be noticed at a technical level (with a waveform monitor, for instance) or is it primarily a matter of how your TV is adjusted, and therefore purely subjective?

Cheers.

Both technical and seen.

Better PSNR, and looks better as well.

Many thanks, guys. I’ve downloaded the CCE-Lite (I assume this is the one we’re talking about) trial and I’ll have a bit of a play with it, when I can find the time.

CCE is really only superiour to TMPGenc when we are talking SVCD or DVD encodes. If your trying to make VCD’s then stay with TMPGEnc, its the best.

CCE is not very good making MPEG1 low bit rate streams like VCD. Its quality and speed on encoding shines when it does MPEG2 (SVCD & DVD). TMPGenc can only do a 2 pass VBR, while CCE is not limited to the number os passes it can do, though 3 or 4 is optimal.

Thanks, ChickenMan, I guess that’s what I needed to know. My one attempt at VCD’ing, using EasyVCD/TMPG and Nero worked fine, but I’m still tossing up whether to try an SVCD. It would seem to be a bit more of a challenge, using DVD2SVCD, with a lot more settings to stuff up!.

Incidentally, are you any relation to the famous crimefighter Chickenman, who was on radio many years ago? His catchcry, as I recall, was “He’s everywhere, he’s everywhere”.

He was a pretty fowl, somewhat dysfunctional crimefighter, as I recall.

Originally posted by dik
[B]Incidentally, are you any relation to the famous crimefighter Chickenman, who was on radio many years ago? His catchcry, as I recall, was “He’s everywhere, he’s everywhere”.

He was a pretty fowl, somewhat dysfunctional crimefighter, as I recall. [/B]

Your right he was pretty fowl. No not me, I use to wake up in the morning listening to the series and that catchcry. It sort of sunk in.

But then again I am a bit of here, there and everywhere.

I also look after a LOT of chooks at home!

Sorry forgot to say, DVD2SVCD is really very easy to use. Once its set up, then next one you do involves only 4 steps (as it remembers all the settings from last use):

1. Load the IFO file in.
  2. In Misc tell it the folder you want the files save to ( may not need to change this).
  3. Set the CDImage to correct name and load in the correct front cover (but only if you do this).
  4. Hit GO.

If you make MPG file (no Image file) and always save to the same folder, it just a simple matter of load in IFO file and hit the GO button. You really cant get much simpler than that !

Actually, the waiting is the hardest part.

Or so Tom Petty claims.