CCE 2.5 Halts

Hi all! Since some days I’m trying to make HQ main movies with DVD2SVCD but I have a problem cos almost all the times I try it, the process halts when CCE is working. I’ve been changing some options of the program and also some options of the Windows.

My OS is Windows XP and I have an ASUS MB - A7N8X rev2 Deluxe & Athlon XP 2600+.

Any Idea??

Thanx

As it turns out I am running the same OS, the very same M/B and even the same CPU. I have CCE 2.50.01 installed and the only few times I have ever seen it crash/stop/etc is when I’m trying to convert problem AVI’s. Fix the AVI and the CCE crashing problem is also fixed.

If your not converting AVI’s but DVD’s then I suggest you have a problem with your DVD2SVCD installation, CCE installation (or both) or even Windows XP installation. Try re-installing them.

I’m just trying to backup some DVDs (main movie only) with DVD2SVCD method. At the beginnig, with WinXP and MB Drivers installed, it was ok. Sometimes system halted while CCE was working but almost all the times, the whole process finished without any problem. I thought that the problem could be the timings of the memory or something like that cos my PC is overclocked. Right now, the CPU and memory are not OC but after WinXP autoupdate, system halts almost all the times I try to backup a movie. It’s a really strange thing that process stops after 2 or 3 hours and not at the beginning of CCE encoding. I don’t know what else can I do. Maybe I can try to use TMPGEnc instead of CCE but here I have another problem cos I don’t know how to configure its options. Indeed, I don’t know if the problem is that I’m using wrong options in CCE (Advanced settings) so would be a good idea to get a good profile correctly configured with both of the encoders.

does CCE give u an error when it stops working, and if it does, what does it say? there’s a known issue with CCE 2.50 and AMD cpus that sometimes causes problems that are fixed by applying a “crc patch” (u can try googling for that or something, i don’t have a link right now). i don’t know if this will solve ur problems as u haven’t given an error, but hopefully it will.

No. The system halts and nothing else happens. Then I have to do a HW reset. Anyway, I’ll look for that patch. Thanx

Ps. Here you have a link if you need it: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~susajb/Cinema_Craft_Encoder_2_50_SP_CRC_Patch.zip

i have the patch already, thanx. did it help to solve ur problems?

When CCE “holts” as you say, does the PC freeze and the only option is to press reset ? If this is the case you problem is either memory timing probs or heat related. Check your fan is working and also not clogged with dust. Your CPU and memory is put underc a lot of stress during encodes and if either fail, then so does Windows and anything thats running.

I’ve got the same M/B and an XP2800. I was having major problems with CCE 2.5. About half-way through an encode, the PC would freeze and I’d have to restart it and continue. A right nightmare.

The PC was a brand new build, I ran ASUS cop to check the temp but came up with nothing out of the ordinary. The memory checked out good. 2 sticks of Corsair DDR400 XMS. Not the cheap stuff.

So I started using 2.67 with ECLCCE and haven’t had a problem since. Bit of a cop out I know but I couldn’t find another way. The PC performed spot on apart from that.

Just a thought, I’m running 2x512meg sticks of Kingston DDR400. If I run in Single Channel mode all is well. If I insert them in Dual Channel mode, CCE will hang the PC somewhere during the encode. Tried that a few times, hung every time, went back to Single channel and working like a dream, as always.

So I need to see if Dual Channel with CCE 2.67 is just as fast as Single Channel with CCE 2.50.

@AZImmortal

i have the patch already, thanx. did it help to solve ur problems?

I don’t think so :(.

@ChickenMan

When CCE “holts” as you say, does the PC freeze and the only option is to press reset ? If this is the case you problem is either memory timing probs or heat related. Check your fan is working and also not clogged with dust.

CPU and mamory are working fine. No heat problems and memory is ok. Indeed, if I downclock CPU and relax timings, the problem is still there.

Just a thought, I’m running 2x512meg sticks of Kingston DDR400. If I run in Single Channel mode all is well. If I insert them in Dual Channel mode, CCE will hang the PC somewhere during the encode.

My memory is running in dual channel. I think that it’s possible to change to single mode by bios. I’ll try after writing this post and we will see…

@monaghan

I’ve got the same M/B and an XP2800. I was having major problems with CCE 2.5. About half-way through an encode, the PC would freeze and I’d have to restart it and continue. A right nightmare.

Maybe is a problem of our MB but as I’ve said, I’m going to try again putting memory in single channel mode.

Thanx m8s

No, you cant set Single/Dual Channel in the BIOS (I’m running lastest 1007), they need to be phically placed in the correct slot on the M/B. Put 2 stick of the same in the 2 BLUE slots and it will run in Dual Mode, Put 1 in the BLACK and 1 in a BLUE and it will run in Single Mode.

Ok! I’m going to change them and I’ll try again. I Hope this is the problem cos I’m getting crazy…

Thanx

just wanted to say that i’m running in dual channel myself and don’t have any problems with CCE, so there isn’t anything directly wrong with running CCE + dual channel, but i’m not doubting that it helped solve CM’s problem.

:bigsmile: Now working in Single Channel mode and no problem. I’ve done only a backup this afternoon but it seems that now it works perfectly. Indeed, working speed is the same as when it was working with dual channel mode.

Thanx for your help

Ps. Maybe this is not the correct threat to ask this but I’d like to know which are the correct settings that I have to put in the encoder tab of DVD2SVCD cos I’ve seen many guides and I’ve found also many different configurations. Also in “Advanced Settings”.

So I need to see if Dual Channel with CCE 2.67 is just as fast as Single Channel with CCE 2.50.

with an AMD cpu, 2.50 is significantly faster than 2.67. i’m getting 1.9 RT with 2.50, and 2.67 gave me around 1.3. both results are while running dual channel.

KripXP: what settings are u referring to?

Just got around to reading this thread. Of course my issue is that CCE doesn’t seem to start at all, just hangs the program, no system freeze. might be that win2000 is more stable than XP. :wink:

Anyway, the best way to test your RAM and CPU stability is with Prime95 torture test #3. If that can run for several hours with no errors, you have a stable system and there shouldn’t be any issues with CCE either. DDR can easily be checked with Memtest86, run that one overnight off a floppy and you want to see “0” errors in the morning when you get up. If both these tests run with no problems, it’s extremely unlikely that you have hardware issues.

I’ll try that AMD patch here to see if it helps.

@AZImmortal

Oh sorry! At the beginning of the thread I was talking about backing up DVDs with DVD2SVCD. I’ve found a lot of guides but you can find in almost everyone different settings and configurations and as I’m just a newbie in this topic, I’m driving crazy… :stuck_out_tongue:

For example, I’d like to know the correct configuration of CCE tab and the “Advanced Settings” of it to get the best quality. I also would like to know why you have to resize the movie cos indeed, there is no need to do it. The resolution is the same. Am I wrong?? As I said, this is not the correct part of the forum to ask this but I didn’t want to open a new thread just to ask this and maybe, I could find responses in other threads if I look for this ;).

Ps. I’ve been making more proofs and I’m convinced that the problem with CEE was Dual Memory Channel mode. I don’t know why. It makes no sense for me but… I don’t know. Right now working without problems with my OC PC :cool: (XP2600+@200MHzx12 and 2-3-3-11).

@rdgrimes

I had that problem at the beginning. I just had a lot of programs about DVD backing up installed. CCE and Scenarist didn’t work ok cos they hanged when I tried to load them so I decided to reinstall my OS and afterwards, they worked fine (Ok, maybe not fine cos I had a lot of problems with CCE but they worked again).

if u have Scenarist, u can try following a guide i wrote for using DVD2SVCD to backup ur dvds. use default settings for any settings i don’t mention in the guide.

@CM I run my memory in dual channel mode. I never tried to drop down to single channel when I was using 2.5 but by the looks of this it seems that may be the key with the M/B. Like I said, I now run 2.67 with no problems in dual channel mode.