CCD "deactivated" my WindowsXP

Well. Pretty simple actually.

I installed the latest version of CloneCD and when prompted, restarted my pc. Upon logging back in, I got an error message saying that an error had prevented Windows from checking the status of my liscence and that I needed to activate Windows to proceed.

I already reactivated my copy over the phone (no net access), but I must say… it gave me a scare for a sec. (This is the first time I’ve had to reactivate XP.) So I’m guessing this is due to the virtual drive thing…? I’ve had quite a few hardware changes since I installed XP, so I suppose this was just the straw that broke…

Anyways. Just thought I’d share.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Not from installing software, but I’ve had to reactivate mine finding the limit (and stepping slightly over) overclocking.

Originally posted by rumokeenme
Anyways. Just thought I’d share.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Thanks for this, you explained it well. Can you send an email to Elby?

I knew what Virtual CloneDrive was for before I installed CCD, (I mean duh–pretty obvious) but I didn’t realize how …er… virtually real it would be. After reactivating XP, I saw how it utterlytotally&completely thinks there’s a new drive there.

So… I’d actually be pretty amazed if no one else has ever had this happen before; now it seems to me quite the obvious consequence for an XP user who’s already made two or three (or whatever stupid number it is) hardware changes. But then again… my knowledge on the subject is definitely lacking–I never did bother to read up much on XP activation craziness.

As for your suggestion FP, of contacting Elby… uhh… I wouldn’t mind of course, (although I have very little more to offer than what’s posted here) but I don’t have an address handy and am kinda in a hurry [& on dialup].

PS: That’s weird Jailer. I’d be interested to hear how far overclocked you were when that happened. (I’ve over/underclocked my AMD TBird bazillions of times without any troubles.)

srohde@elby.ch

Uhh… FutureProof?

To: rumokeenme@yahoo.com
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at elby.ch.
I’m afraid I wasn’t able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I’ve given up. Sorry it didn’t work out.

<srhode@elby.ch>:
permission denied

Oh well. I tried.

Their mail server is down. I’ve sent an email to Sven’s home address

Hi FP,

our mail server is not down. It is ROHDE not Rhode. :slight_smile:

@ rumokeenme,

please send it again, we will try to “rebuild” your trouble.

regards, sven

Originally posted by Sheepfriend
[B]Hi FP,

our mail server is not down. It is ROHDE not Rhode. :slight_smile:

[/B]
Argh…typo! I had 'em right in my mail client :o

If elby peoples are here and have noticed this thread then… I don’t really see the point of emailing–after all, I don’t have anything else to offer.

But uh… here ya go sven. Email sent.

@ rumokeenme,

thanks, tomorrow I will look if we can find a solution. Today I have been out of office (had to watch my son’s Carneval).

sven

Originally posted by rumokeenme
If elby peoples are here and have noticed this thread then… I don’t really see the point of emailing–
This is not an official CloneCD support site. It’s a privilege to have Sven & Olli visit when they can.

to add to things that have caused deactivation, i uninstalled the alternative user input for ms word 2002 last night (runs ctfmon.exe in background at startup). Anyway, i used the guide in the microsoft knowledge database to do it and restarted my computer when asked. IT boots up and that comes up, so i had to reactivate. Im thinking about sending a few choice words to microsoft.