Causes of this high PIE spike and PIF at the end?

I have a disc that I scanned in my LiteOn drive. (MCC004)

Just wondering what could have caused the high PIE ‘mountain’ in the middle of the disc and the PIF spike at the end?

I’ve looked at the disc, no dust or scratches and tried cleaning it but still same scan pretty much.

This particular disc was in a Jewel case, though it had another disc on top of it. (I got a few standard jewel cases where I put 2 discs in, 1 on top of the other… this 1 was the bottom one) All other discs are fine though, though I got about 3 or 4 with simliar PIE mountains, but the rest are fine and they are kept in a ‘2 discs in 1 jewele case’ system as well…

Just wondeering these PIE mountains that are on only a few of the discs be caused because there was another disc on top, or would it just be that these discs were just unlucky? since the other discs are fine

There are several possible explanations. Without knowing anything beyond the information you have given us, here are the most likely explanations:

PIF spike near end: Most likely due to a tiny scuff mark, scratch, fingerprint, speck of dust or other surface defect near outer edge of disc

PIE mountain: Probably due to a shift in laser power in the middle of the burn caused by OHT or similar OPC adjustment or write strategy that isn’t optimal and then a later shift in laser power improves PIE again.

The PIE mountain could also be a media problem, but such problems usually show a more gradual rise and fall in PIE - usually not as sudden as the scan above.

Okay then.

Could that PIE mountain have been caused by another disc that was sitting on top of it? (The scan above is for a disc that was in a jewel case, but there was another disc on top of it in the jewel case)

[quote=nosoup4u;1973478]Could that PIE mountain have been caused by another disc that was sitting on top of it? (The scan above is for a disc that was in a jewel case, but there was another disc on top of it in the jewel case)[/quote] I’d say that’s highly unlikely. Scratches and scuff marks would result in PIF clumps occurring, and there are none of those in the scan above at the location of the PIE mountain.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1973525]I’d say that’s highly unlikely. Scratches and scuff marks would result in PIF clumps occurring, and there are none of those in the scan above at the location of the PIE mountain.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that. When I burned a load of discs awhile back, I stored them temporarily in a spindle, with other discs above and below.

The discs scanned fine.

Okay thanks for the info!

Like I was saying, 90% of my ‘2 discs in 1 case’ discs scan fine, it’s just the 3 or 4 that have that mountain etc. There is 1 disc that has about 1cm in length clump of PIF (2). Though I cannot remmeber if this was there originally when I burnt the disc, of it it has formed over the year.

But anyways, since 90% of these discs are fine, could safely assume that this ‘2 discs in 1 jewel case’ system is actually okay?

Note: I don’t move them or take them out daily, they pretty much sit vertically in a long plastic cd storage box.

So you’re using a 1 capacity jewel case to hold 2 DVDs right? I would recommend against this in future.

Now as for the PIE mountain, I pretty much agree with dragemester. I suggest if possible, scanning that same disc again with jitter enabled. Click the advanced tab and tick jitter.

I am betting jitter rises suddenly at this point. Did you burn this @ 12x or something? Or lower?

Yeah, I am using a 1 CD capacity jewel case for 2 DVDs.

But thing is 90% of these that I ahve scanned are fine, it is just some, including the screenshot above that seem bad.

Anyways here is a screenshot with jitter enabled. The disc was actually burnt at 8x.

[quote=nosoup4u;1973683]Anyways here is a screenshot with jitter enabled. The disc was actually burnt at 8x.[/quote] On your LiteOn SHM-165P6S with OHT enabled?

I recommend double cd cases over having 2 dvds in one case as well!

What exactly is OHT?

[quote=blad3runner;1973725]What is OHT?[/quote] OHT = Online-HyperTuning

It’s LiteOn’s version of a Running Optimal Power Calibration - it checks certain parameters of the burned disc during writing and re-calibrates laser power when it thinks it’s needed.

In my experience this can sometimes create sudden changes in jitter, shifts in beta/assymetry and large jumps up or down in PIE.

EDIT: Apparently the quoted post was edited and then [B]nosoup4[/B] you asked a similar question!?! :eek:

Yes, I wanted to know what it meant as I too have a LiteOn drive. I looked it up via google so edited my post to avoid looking like a dummy! :smiley:

Okay thank you DrageMester.

One piece of info I forgot to tell you all is that I actually burnt this disc with my Pioneer 111D and I am just scanning it with my LiteOn.

Hmm weird burn one the Pioneer @ 8x. I usually get nice low jitter and low everything with my 111L on MCC003. May be something defective on some of the discs. I remember having some Daxon media that had sections where PIE would also shoot up. It happened on every disc regardless of writer.

Yeah it must of been the disc, though I don’t think that ‘PIE mountain’ was there orignally when I burnt at, because I wouldn’t of accepted it and just chucked it away and reburnt :smiley:
But yeah like I said 90% of them usually stay around the TOTAL 50 PIF Mark and 1500 PIE mark.
One thing that I love about MCC003 is the extremely low PIE, well except for the disc above :bigsmile:

Anyways I’ve bought some dual cd cases and I am in the process of transferring these discs over. One thing I dislike about these dual cd cases is that there is hardly any ‘gap’ between the actual disc and the black plastic surface.