Carl Sagan's Cosmos Disc 4 never reads, pls help

A while back I tried using DVDfab to make a back-up of “Cosmos” (by Carl Sagan) and every time disc 4 either didn’t read or the program encountered an unexpected error and shut down. I just now got a hold of a brand new set of Cosmos since I figured there was something wrong with the other disc. There are 7 discs and only the 4th one gave me trouble.

I am now running DVDfab 6.0.1.0. I have tried the brand new disc on two different computers and the program fails every time. So I’ve tried 2 different DVDfab versions, on two different computers with two different store-bought discs. Advice anyone? BTW in all my years I have not encountered something like this that hasn’t been quickly fixed by the DVDfab team. Thanks.

[QUOTE=e6bwhiz;2308654]A while back I tried using DVDfab to make a back-up of “Cosmos” (by Carl Sagan) and every time disc 4 either didn’t read or the program encountered an unexpected error and shut down. I just now got a hold of a brand new set of Cosmos since I figured there was something wrong with the other disc. There are 7 discs and only the 4th one gave me trouble.

I am now running DVDfab 6.0.1.0. I have tried the brand new disc on two different computers and the program fails every time. So I’ve tried 2 different DVDfab versions, on two different computers with two different store-bought discs. Advice anyone? BTW in all my years I have not encountered something like this that hasn’t been quickly fixed by the DVDfab team. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried changing the pathplayer setting?

Whatever it’s on now, first try always enabled, the try always disabled, and let us know if one of those works.

OC

:slight_smile:

Well, I turned off Path Player and restarted and tried again. After an hour the disc drive kept making a read noise and the program seemed to lock up. It estimated over 5 hours to go. I tried enabling Path Player at all times, but I got a disc read error message.

I did forget before that I tried this on two different computers the first time. Since then one of the computers broke and I got a thrid one. And this third one had a different brand drive in it. So I’ve tried this on 3 different computers and 4 different drives, all with the correct updated bios and drivers.

I’m pretty sure I tried the different path player settings before as well to no avail. So unless there is an unlikely defect in both number four discs in Cosmos, I have no idea what’s going on here. Any more suggestions?

I did the entire 7 disk series region 1 without a problem… Kind of. I didn’t want use DL media so I used the split function to create 2 files of each disk and then burned the single files on SL media (except disk 1 which is originally a 4.7 GB disk).

One problem I did encounter was in creating generic xvid.mp3 files for watching on the computer. It was my own stupidity in using a question mark in the title of one of the episodes.

Does the disc play normally? Put disc 4 in your normal read drive, let DVDFab analyze it, then click on the green checkmark to access the Info page. Click the Send IFO files button. At the bottom of the form put a brief description of what happened and/or a link to this thread.

I sent the IFO files with notes. The disc plays fine when watching it on my computer or stand-alone player. I’ve only always selected a full disc copy to be put on a double layer disc, but it never can finish reading it.

I obtained an original copy of Disc 4 and copied it with no problems using DVDFab V6.0.3.6, PathPlayer enabled, Full Disc mode.

Well, I guess I know it’s possible. Thanks.