Capacity of CD is with/without overburning?

Is it necessary to use overburning to get close to 700M on a 700M disc? If so does this imply manufacturers don’t expect the last 50M to be reliable at max speed?

We’ve been having problems with Ghost getting write errors close to the end of the discs. Could it be that Ghost is trying too hard to use all the available capacity?

Is there a way to limit how much it tries to fit on each disc? I know about the SPLIT command line option but the manual says not to use that when writing direct to CD as spanning is done automatically.

Does this sound like a reasonable theory?

Originally posted by cwatters
Is it necessary to use overburning to get close to 700M on a 700M disc? If so does this imply manufacturers don’t expect the last 50M to be reliable at max speed?
Nope. A 700MB CD-R should be written reliably throughout the complete disc. If it isn’t then it’s a bad quality disc. I am not familiar with Ghost but perhaps the program is overburning each disc (burning more than 700MB data, e.g. 703MB) which can cause problems.

G@M3FR3@K is correct, the entire disc should be available without overburning. A nominal 80 minute disc has a specified length of 79:59.74 min., which is about 703.1 MB of data capacity.

If an extended length disc such as the 80 minute variety has manufacturing defects, it often fails first at the periphery of the disc. Newer drives all record at the highest speeds at the outside of the disc. Media defects, vibration, or imbalance effects will all be amplified at the periphery of the disc by the higher writing speed.

Thanks for the replies. We’re seeing errors almost every disc (at 24x) and they are always at just over 600M. All works ok at 16x. The drive and the media are rated at 24x so it should be ok. As you say perhaps just poor quality media.

@Inertia:

What you describe applies to crap discs, and to some discs which are written at a higher speed than what they are certified for (e.g. if I overburn Mitsubishi 24x at 48x speed, I get a slowdown at the end)

Someone who uses crap discs doesn’t deserve better…