Cap burning speed?

Hello peoples,
So I am trying to make some backups of some games I have, it seems to be working pretty well, although the videos in the games tend to freeze every couple of seconds. I am assuming this is because the slowest I can burn a cd-r atm is 24x. Is there any program or something out there that can cap your burner speed? I mean trial versions of different burning software do it somehow. I would like to get it down to 1-4x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

what drive do you use? I am aware of minimum write speeds between 8x and 16x (depending on the drive) for modern DVD writers. 24x is very uncommon.

I mean trial versions of different burning software do it somehow.
Not really. The minimum CD-R write speed depends on the media and the drive you are using. No piece of software is able to override this limitation although some softwares indeed allow to set any speed you want - but this setting might just be ignored by your drive.

I would like to get it down to 1-4x.
Unless you can get your hands on an ancient 16 CD writer - no chance.

You may run either Nero CD/DVD Speed and check the “Disc Info” tab or use Imgburn and have a look into the right pane after having inserted a blank disc. This will show you the speeds your drive supports with that particular blank media.

Since you have readability problems with a disc written at 24x, then either your media are mediocre at best or your drive isn’t a good CD writer. Or both is applicable.

Michael

Thank you very much for the info. I am not really too sure about my drive or the media to be honest. The drive I am using is this one here:

I clicked on the “See Full Specs” but nowhere does it say minimum write speed.

So then I downloaded Nero CD-DVD Speed, which is starting to make me think this media might be junk. When I insert the CD and click on Disc Info it only gives me disc type and capacity.

I seem to remember using a tool similar to this a long time ago where it told you manufacturer name and speeds supported by the disc.

[QUOTE=oxywashere;2444633]Thank you very much for the info. I am not really too sure about my drive or the media to be honest. The drive I am using is this one here:

I clicked on the “See Full Specs” but nowhere does it say minimum write speed. [/quote]That’s normal. Nobody cares about the minimum speed (which is also media dependant)

So then I downloaded Nero CD-DVD Speed, which is starting to make me think this media might be junk. When I insert the CD and click on Disc Info it only gives me disc type and capacity.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/oxywashere/discinfo.jpg
Ugly. Do you by chance have Deamon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed? These have options of “hide writeable media” type.

Additionally, run Imgburn, select your drive, insert a blank CD-R and see what you get.

The screenshots below show the speed information of a certain blank disc for two different LG drives:

Ah so this was my problem, both blank media CDs slowest supported speed is 24x. Does anyone know of a place I can look for slower-speed supported media? I would like the slowest speed possible.

Might be more to it than than. I just popped a Ritek CD-R into my Pioneer 115D and ImgBurn shows 4, 10, 16, 24, and 32X. The same disc in my Optiarc 7200 shows 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48X. Nero InfoTool shows the same.