Can't write more than 700mb on DVD

I have a TS-H553A burner and for some reason Nero and Pinnacle Studio both tell me I only can burn 700meg to the disk. I have a dvd in the drive, and it shows I have 4.7gig available, but for some reason I can’t get any program to burn a DVD with more than 700 meg of video. It shows I have CD for some reason, even though it recognizes I have a bland DVD.

I’ve posted on the Pinnacle Studio site about this and they don’t have a clue.

If any of you could help I’d be very greatful.

Thanks…

@ Montag,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you ensured that your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation (TSST) TS-H553A Optical Drive has the newest most current up to date available Firmware?

What is the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD Media you are attempting to use? To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD Media you are attempting to use suggest using a utility software program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and/or Nero CD DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip).

Perchance do you have any Virtual Drive software programs similar to Alcohol 120% and/or DAEMON Tools installed on your computer? Is so for troubleshooting purposed suggest fully completely removing them for your computer. These types of software programs in some instances have been known to cause various Media recognition malady problems.

Regards,
bjkg

Hello, Thank you for responding…

I downloaded the latest drivers from Dell. I believe I removed all virtual drive programs that might have been on there. I will go through the system one more time and make sure there is nothing hiding out there. I know I used to have Alcohol and Creator 9 Suite on there, but thought I had removed them. I will check again.

Any techniques for ensuring they are completely removed other than uninstalling them in control panel?

I will also see about getting the info you mentioned.

Thank you for your help. This problem has been ongoing and it is preventing me from making home movies in a decent format.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2271670]@ Montag,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you ensured that your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation (TSST) TS-H553A Optical Drive has the newest most current up to date available Firmware?

What is the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD Media you are attempting to use? To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD Media you are attempting to use suggest using a utility software program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and/or Nero CD DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip).

Perchance do you have any Virtual Drive software programs similar to Alcohol 120% and/or DAEMON Tools installed on your computer? Is so for troubleshooting purposed suggest fully completely removing them for your computer. These types of software programs in some instances have been known to cause various Media recognition malady problems.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

If you have access to an external burner that can be used with USB you could test to see if it has the same problem.If it does then it probably is a software problem conflict somewhere.
Many softwares don’t completly remove on uninstall.Tracking the left overs can be difficult.The first thing I usually try is to reinstall the suspected problem software /reboot then uninstall it again & reboot again.
The Virtual drive I use is CloneVirtual Drive I have’nt had any conflicts with it so far.

Hello,

Thanks for answering. I don’t have an external burner. Do you think it is something I might want to invest in if I want to make home movies on DVD?

I’m not sure what “Virtual Drive” is. Is it something I could use?

I’m wondering if I should just reformat my entire drive? I haven’t done it since I bought it about two years ago. It would be a lot of work to move stuff around and reinstall, but maybe the system would work better? What do you think?

Thanks in advance. Your expertise is appreciated.

BTW, we often travel through Amarillo. We like going to that amusement park you have there. thx

[QUOTE=cholla;2271824]If you have access to an external burner that can be used with USB you could test to see if it has the same problem.If it does then it probably is a software problem conflict somewhere.
Many softwares don’t completly remove on uninstall.Tracking the left overs can be difficult.The first thing I usually try is to reinstall the suspected problem software /reboot then uninstall it again & reboot again.
The Virtual drive I use is CloneVirtual Drive I have’nt had any conflicts with it so far.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded DVDinfoPro and it says I need to pay for the package before it would give me a complete media code. I’m not sure if that’s what you needed, but I’m not going to pay $30 just to try something out. I have a TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H553 DEO4 drive. I learned that last part from Nero.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks…

[QUOTE=bjkg;2271670]@ Montag,

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

1, I think it from a Dell correct?
2. If it is, I found this at another Forum.

<DT>DVD Burner TSST corp DVD±RW TS-H553A <DD class=desc>The drive doesnt recognise blank DVD media correctly, it believes that its a CD RW. I cant understand this.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers. Uninstalling the drive then reinstalling. I have checked DMA and not PIO.

I checked the manufacturer web site of the drive and cannot even find the model number (I bought the PC Oct06) I have tried the DELL forums. Everyone recognises the problem but no one seems able to fix it or determine whats causing the problem.

I beg of anyone to help me please. Thanks. <DD>[B]Posted:[/B] 05/06/2007 @ 04:50 AM (PDT) </DD>

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. I had gone to the Dell website and looked for information, but didn’t find any solutions. I don’t recall if I saw this one or not. Since there isn’t a link, I will go to the Dell website and see if anyone answered this.

I do have a Dell, it’s an XPS 410. This is getting frustrating! Thanks for everyone’s help…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2272086]1, I think it from a Dell correct?
2. If it is, I found this at another Forum.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find this post? I can’t seem to find it on Dell.

Thanks…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2272086]DVD Burner TSST corp DVD±RW TS-H553A
The drive doesnt recognise blank DVD media correctly, it believes that its a CD RW. I cant understand this.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers. Uninstalling the drive then reinstalling. I have checked DMA and not PIO.

I checked the manufacturer web site of the drive and cannot even find the model number (I bought the PC Oct06) I have tried the DELL forums. Everyone recognises the problem but no one seems able to fix it or determine whats causing the problem.

I beg of anyone to help me please. Thanks.
Posted: 05/06/2007 @ 04:50 AM (PDT) .[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Montag;2272067]I don’t have an external burner. Do you think it is something I might want to invest in if I want to make home movies on DVD?
[/QUOTE]
I thought you might know someone you could borrow one from but it wouldn’t be a bad investment.

[QUOTE=Montag;2272067]
I’m not sure what “Virtual Drive” is. Is it something I could use?
[/QUOTE]
If you haven’t had one before you probably don’t need one right now.As you learn more about copying & burning you may want to install one.

[QUOTE=Montag;2272067]
I’m wondering if I should just reformat my entire drive? I haven’t done it since I bought it about two years ago. It would be a lot of work to move stuff around and reinstall, but maybe the system would work better? What do you think?
[/QUOTE]
At this point I would say No if it is running stably.

[QUOTE=Montag;2272067]
BTW, we often travel through Amarillo. We like going to that amusement park you have there. thx[/QUOTE]
Glad you enjoy it .I haven’t been in a long time.The loop on the Texas Tornado is a little tight for my liking.If you ever get the chance The Desparado at Jean Nevada is one of the best I’ve ridden.

On DVdInfoPro I think it will give you all the information in it’s trial period it just says it won’t.After the trial period it will just stop working.I use the free Nero one myself.

This might not help but my old second computer a 1999 IBM with a LH-20A1P burner has burned many 4.35GB movies to blank media.In Windows Explorer it shows a blank +R as a CD-ROM Disc & shows 1.99GB used with 0 free space.After a burn with CloneDVD2 ;Windows Explorer shows the +R as an Audio CD CD-ROM disc with 4.36 GB used.The disc plays fine on both computers & my settop DVD units.
You might try the trial of CloneDVD2 & see if it will burn a DVD.
Also try ImgBurn.
If neither of those will do a burn then if you can’t get a firmware update for the TS-H553A that makes it read the DVD blanks correctly replace it with a new internal drive.
If you don’t have the expertise to do that or know someone that does.Then you will need to have a computer shop do that or get an external USB DVD drive.

Thanks for all the info and help.

I have several computers and just about all of them have DVD burners.
I use one of the desktops, XPS 410, to do movie editing and DVD burning.

I don’t have any problem installing new equipment. I’ve done it many times before.

This capacity problem has me going nuts. I’ve asked Pinnacle for help and they can’t figure out. I’ve installed and uninstalled the drives, updated the drivers, installed and uninstalled the drivers. etc…The DVD burns as if it has 700 meg for space instead of 4.7. Therefore, I can’t get much on, especially HD movies. The software identifies the drive as having a 4.7 gig blank disk, but when I select the mode to record in, it only shows CD 700 meg available.

I think I might try and get an external so I can use it on my other computers. Does anyone have any suggestions? [B]How about a high quality Blue Ray/DVD burner? [/B]I think there is such a combination isn’t there? What are some of the best externals and internals I can buy?

Thanks for all your assistance. It really is appreciated.

[QUOTE=cholla;2272325]I thought you might know someone you could borrow one from but it wouldn’t be a bad investment…

… If neither of those will do a burn then if you can’t get a firmware update for the TS-H553A that makes it read the DVD blanks correctly replace it with a new internal drive.

…If you don’t have the expertise to do that or know someone that does.Then you will need to have a computer shop do that or get an external USB DVD drive.[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=Montag;2272084]I downloaded DVDinfoPro and it says I need to pay for the package before it would give me a complete media code. I’m not sure if that’s what you needed, but I’m not going to pay $30 just to try something out.[/quote]I agree. Get DVD Identifier, which is free

I have a TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H553 DEO4 drive. I learned that last part from Nero.
DE04 is the latest firmware for that drive. If you have Nero installed, then run Nero CD/DVD Speed (or Disc Speed). There is a “Disc Info” tab which also gives you the media code.

But regardless of the media code, your drive should be able to tell CD and DVD media apart. I guess there is something installed on your system that negatively affects your drive’s funktionality. Perhaps some copy protection of games, video DVDs or music CDs.

You may try in Safe Mode, please.
As already suggested, the best option would be to borrow an external drive. This would rule out any Windows and software related issue.
Other ideas:
Try the drive in another computer.
In case, there is a second drive installed in your computer, you could also try a Linux Live CD.

Michael

[QUOTE=Montag;2272231]Where did you find this post? I can’t seem to find it on Dell.

Thanks…[/QUOTE]
If anyone would have posted a solution I would have told you. :flower:

@ Montag,

Your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation (TSST) TS-H553A Optical Drive is more than capable of Burning SL DVD (4.7 GB). Your problem is some type of computer software conflict error problem and jumping the gun and purchasing a Brand New DVD Burning is not going to correct the route cause of your Computer problem.

To effectively trouble shoot your problem you are going to have to provide hard factual data so that informed knowledge experienced Forum Member can closely review this data and attempt to figure out is causing your problem.

Suggest installing the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program. Then attempt to Burn a SL DVD (4.7 GB) data file using the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program and then post an ImgBurn Burning Log File for analysts. In ImgBurn the ImgBurn Burning Log is found under ‘View’.

Also post a Filter Driver List. In ImgBurn the Filter Driver List is found under ‘Tools”.

Regards,
bjkg

I will defer to

[QUOTE=bjkg;2272575]informed knowledge experienced Forum Member [/QUOTE]
There are many forum members with a lot more knowledge & experience than me.

I did suggest ImgBurn.I just thought I would see if it worked for Montag before asking for a log.

When I suggested a new burner I didn’t know Montag had other computers with drives he could probably remove to test in the problem computer.Or his ability to do that before he posted something about his ability level.It seems he has the ability to do that to try another drive.

Even if he did decide to buy a new drive they are fairly cheap for a basic one.

I agree that a new drive probably wouldn’t have solved the problem.That’s the reason for borrowing an external if possible.An easy plugin solution to spot if it’s a drive problem or a software problem.Then go from there.As it is unlikely both drives would be the problem.

Not sure if you’ve resolved your 700GB restriction using Studio 12. I am having the same issue, thus it’s not your DVD drive nor laptop. For reference I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop using an Optiarc DVD drive. I too have asked Pinnacle for help as well, and unlike yourself have not received any response.

Have you managed to find a solution? If so, I’d appreciate you sharing.

Hello, I went ahead and reformatted my whole system and installed Vista Premium Home. I had XP before, which worked fine, but after the format I was able to use the drive to maximum capacity.

It shouldn’t have been that difficult. From what I gather, this is common problem with many people and doesn’t occur with any other programs we use. I’m getting ready to upgrade to a higher power computer and I’m hoping every still works…

Good Luck…

Thanks…

Hi Montag,

Many thanks for the information. I’m planning to replace XP with WIndows 7 this week-end so this may resolve the issue. Glad your issues are resolved.

Cheers

Easier solution is to ouput an iso image and burn that using imgburn.