Can't use my SONY DVD RW

vbimport

I just want to be able to use my awg170a cd burner on my computer. How can I flash new firmware or do whatever I have to do to make it operable??

Welcome to CDF, nerdydave (great nick) :bigsmile:

We may be able to help you without flashing your firmware, although that’s obviously an option we can still help with once your drive is up and running :slight_smile:

What problems are you having with the drive - and what are your system specs?

Thank you so much for replying. My SONY will not read music files. It will read data files such as MS Word etc. It is on a Dell Dimension 4700 with XP, 2.99 GHz processor, and 1 MB RAM.

Thanks for the specs :slight_smile:

Now, about these music files - I’m guessing you have them on a disc. What happens when you insert the disc, and explore it - can you click one of the files and play it in Windows Media Player (or whatever media player you use)?

It shows the files on a disc but it says Media Player can’t read them. The disc works when inserted in other drives on the same computer. And I previously had a SONY AD 7200A in this computer and the computer would not recognize the drive. Seems these SONYs can be a problem??

Hmmm, interesting - though it’s a bit of a coincidence, I don’t think the Sony brand is the culprit.

What brand are the discs and, out of curiosity, what brand(s) are the drive(s) that do play the files?

The reason I ask this, is that some drives are better readers than others. :wink:

It can be any disc including commercial pre recorded discs. The drive won’t read them. The other drive is a CD ROM made by Lite-On. LTN4865 (model number). The LIte-On is configured as the slave and the SONY is the master.

And thank you again for replying to me. Any ideas as to my problem??

[QUOTE=nerdydave;2171264]It shows the files on a disc but it says Media Player can’t read them. The disc works when inserted in other drives on the same computer. And I previously had a SONY AD 7200A in this computer and the computer would not recognize the drive. Seems these SONYs can be a problem??[/QUOTE]

Then use a reliable tool like Videolan Client or mediaplayer CLASSIC.

So I should not use Windows Media Player to open the songs??

In case of songs/music I’d use the free winamp.