Can't upgrade my firmware and burn software doesn't recognize my drive (SHW-1635S)

I have a Liteon SHW-1635S (firmware revision: YP70) which came installed on my Compaq Presario SR1675CL pc. It reads/writes CDs and DVDs just fine. The only problem I have with it, is I cannot “print” (etch) a label using it. I have tried the pre-bundled Sonic software programs (there are two: Express Labeler & SureThing CD Labeler 4 se); and, they both say there are no lightscribe devices found on the system.

I have went to liteonit.com and compaq.com trying to flash the firmware; but, since it’s showing up as rev. YP70, I am not able to flash it (I am given an error that there are no SHW-1635S drives on my system, with a list of drives I do have - which includes the SHW-1635S YP70 which is on my system). When I “Google” the query, “SHW-1635S YP70”, I do not get any pages in English - only French, German and Simplified Chinese.

I have already tried removing the drive from the hardware manager; but, the same drive specs are “found” when the system is rebooted (I was thinking there might have been a problem with the image on the HD; but, that does not seem to be the case). SiSoftware (Sandra) also reports the drive as a SHW-1635S; so, I know/believe the hardware is correct. I just have no idea how to “fix” the firmware… sighs

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? It’s not critical that I be able to “print” (etch) a label onto the CD/DVD; but, it would be nice - since that’s what the drive is supposed to be able to do. :wink:

Thanks in advance!
~Lisa
:slight_smile:

The 1635S is not capable of LabelFlash/LightScribe so forget that.

your drive’s firmware is also oem, that’s why a stock liteon firmware won’t work.

Thanks for the reply…

So, does this mean the drive is completely incapable of “printing” to a CD/DVD - or just those two formats? (My gut is telling me it’s simply not capable; but, I figure it doesn’t hurt to ask… :wink: )

Thanks again!
~Lisa

Thanks for the clarification!

Would one of the LiteOn Tools like the FlashFix help in any way? If the hardware is completely incapable of “printing” to the CD/DVD and everything else is going well with the drive, would I be best off just leaving things “as is” - or would it be better to go ahead and flash it with a non-OEM firmware rev - just to make it easier to upgrade in the future, should the need arise?

Thanks again!
~Lisa

the drive has no disc labeling hardware (like lightscribe).
you can use flashfix to patch the stock liteon firmware and then flash your drive. flashing a non oem firmware will void warranty, if you decide to flash use the YV6N firmware found in the test firmware announcements thread. it adds some nice features you can use with the smartburn test version.

OK, thanks for the info!

I had just believed it had lightscribe capabilities because when I went to Compaq’s driver update page for the specific computer I have, it mentioned lightscribe… (see here)

Anyway, I guess it’s not the end of the world - just a bit of a let-down… sighs

I still find it odd that none of the firmware updates from Compaq will work with the drive. :doh:

Anyway, I guess if I have an extreme urge to use lightscribe, I will scrounge up some pennies 'n buy me a new drive someday… :rolleyes:

Thanks again!
~Lisa

EDIT: Wow - I just clicked that link to test the link itself 'n realized it’s the wrong drive number… So that explains that much… :doh: :doh: :doh: Now, I look back through Compaq’s Liteon Firmware options for my system and NONE of them have the correct model number for what I actually have in my system. Arg. I guess since Liteon’s site won’t recognize it at all since it’s OEM; and, since Compaq for some reason doesn’t support the drive they put in my system… I will have to use the flashfix if I ever must update the firmware… :confused: (So much for my experience with my very first “out of the box” pc - maybe I should go back to building my own systems - LOL!) Thanks again, Y’all! :flower: