Can't upgrade my 256 RAM to 2 GB RAM. Please help

vbimport

Hi

I have recently bought a two sticks RAM of 1 GB each. My old RAM was 256 MB and when I removed the old one 256MB and added both the new 2* 1GB RAM my computer boots but does not show the new RAM as 2 GB and remains at 256 MB RAM. Also it does not boot to windows. Then there are options to start in safe mode but even that doesn’t start.

The method I used to to add the 2 GB RAM was just to remove and replace the old RAM 256 and placed the new 2* 1GB RAM in the 3 slots available.

The new RAM sticks are new I just bought them yesterday. They are of the type 184 PINs:
1GB DDR-I 333MHz

The old RAM 256 MB is of the type 184 PINs:
UNB PC2700 CL 2.5 APacer

My system specs are: AMD Athelon XP 2600+ 2.13 GHz.

do you think the new RAMS I bought are faulty? OR am I not installing them correctly?

Please help.

Thanks.

Even though the memory is of the same “standard” (or type) you cannot expect it to work without doing a little research *beforehand.

*Using a memory configurator at one of the leading memory mfr’s site is best.
If you have a manufactured computer (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) you need to know the computer make, model and model number.
If you have a custom-made computer you will need to know the motherboard make, model and model number.

Post back with this information and someone will help you.

Hi

I have recently bought a two sticks RAM of 1 GB each. My old RAM was 256 MB and when I removed the old one 256MB and added both the new 2* 1GB RAM my computer boots but does not show the new RAM as 2 GB and remains at 256 MB RAM. Also it does not boot to windows. Then there are options to start in safe mode but even that doesn’t start.

The method I used to to add the 2 GB RAM was just to remove and replace the old RAM 256 and placed the new 2* 1GB RAM in the 3 slots available.

The new RAM sticks are new I just bought them yesterday. They are of the type 184 PINs:
1GB DDR-I 333MHz

The old RAM 256 MB is of the type 184 PINs:
UNB PC2700 CL 2.5 APacer

My computer details are : AMD Athelon XP 2600+ 2.13 GHz.
Mother Board Biostar USA (M7NCG)
Here is the link for the manual for the Biostar M7NCG.
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncg%20400

do you think the new RAMS I bought are faulty? OR am I not installing them correctly?

Please help.

Thanks.

Sorry my mother board model is Biostar USA (M7NCG), and my computer make is Acer incorporated( AMD Athelon XP 2600+ 2.13 GHz)

Below is the link for the manual for my mother board (M7NCG):
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncg%20400

Thanks again.

Pull one out and try with just 1 in the number 1 slot, if that does not work pull it out and try with the other one.

Let us know if that works

I tried that it still crashes and does not boot to windows. Also still displays 256 MB RAM!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Remember that some boards just don’t play well with certain types (brands) of memory, even though the specs say that they should.
Using a configurator eliminates some of the guesswork.

Crucial :
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=M7NCG%20400&pl=Biostar&cat=RAM

Corsair :
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=2919#other_modules

If you prefer a different mfr, try their memory configurator (memory finder).

Important, consult your mobo manual and make sure that you are populating the correct slots for [B]dual-channel mode[/B].

Have you gone into the bios?
Sometimes just going in and saving and coming back out will pick up the new ram.

Most of the time no need to change anything, the bios will see the differance and when you reboot it works.

** Two threads merged **

One thread is enough. :wink:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried going to the bios and saving but nothing changed? Any more ideas?

Have you tried clearing your Cmos (using the jumper or by removing the battery for a minute or so)? If that doesn’t work you might check the voltage of the memory you bought if it’s different from what you had installed, there might be an adjustment in your bios for ram voltage.

[QUOTE=n1239999;2153831]I tried that it still crashes and does not boot to windows. Also still displays 256 MB RAM!

Any ideas?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

What does your motherboard says for the RAM specs? Maybe consult your motherboard manual would help to eliminate some of the problem in finding the correct type of Ram. This is something you have to do since you own the computer you must take care to read all the manuals to know what is happening in your system. I tell this to people whom I know use and own computer, you have to have some knowledge of your rig and its working. Don’t take this the wrong way that I am belittling you. It’s sounds advice for anything to read the manual and how to reference it when you need to trouble shoot.

I built a heck of a lot of machines with the M7NCD Pro, but only a few with the M7NCG (too many problems with the onboard video enabled). Some tips dredged from the deepest crevices of my memory (so take with a grain of salt):

This board can be picky with RAM. Some BIOS releases are better than others in this aspect. Google for an enthusiast webpage somewhere to find the better BIOS versions for you.

Running the sticks in single channel mode can sometimes be the only way to get the board bootable/stable. Some cheapo memory (Elixir 512MB sticks come to mind) can be used only one at a time, and then a small bump in VDIMM is required for stability. Try a single 1 GB DIMM at first and see if you can get the board to POST and recognize all 1024 MB.

I recall running into problems with the IGP at higher resolutions (1280x1024 and above). If you have an AGP video card to hand, disable the onboard graphics and use the discrete video card. For some reason some of the M7NCG boards I had didn’t like to run the memory at 200Mhz or even 166Mhz with the onboard graphics enabled.

All these pointers are fine and good, but I guess your problem lies more with recognizing all your RAM than getting your system running smoothly. Try updating the BIOS to the latest version and installing only one of your GB sticks. If you can get that working, add the other stick. Putting both sticks into the slots that are right next to each other might work when having them in dual channel configuration doesn’t.

Honestly, you might not be able to get these sticks to play nice with your board. Try to come to a decision before the easy-return period on your memory purchase ends.

Thanks for the replies. I have found the Bios information using the program Driver Detective and it is:

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date: July 10th 2003
BIOS ID: 07/10/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BB02C-00-None
BIOS OEM: NCG0626 ES - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Unknown
SuperIO: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 at port 002E
Manufacturer: AcerSystem
Motherboard: Aspire 8000 XP DDRb

System information:
Manufacturer: Acer
Family: Aspire
Model: 8000XP
operating system: Windows XP
Total physical memory: 256 MB
Processor Model: AMD Athelon XP 2600+

Now my question is do i need to update the bios? can anyone help me with how to update it? and does anyone know where can I find the update for the bios. Please Help?

Thanks again

Here’s where to download the M7NCG’s BIOS updates: http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M7NCG

Please Help! I have messed about witth my bios settings and I can’t get the pc to boot up at all. I have changed some settings out of desperation and hoped that it will work and now I can’t even get the pc to start it remains as a balck screen without booting or coming out with anything!

I would tell what i changed but I can’t remember I think it was the Cache and somthing to do with RAM speed.

The reason that made me do these changes is becuase I download a program called UltraBios. and when runing the program the blue screen of death appeared and I could not start windows again!

Is there a way to reset settings mother board and the bios so I can start the PC again.

Please Help. Do I have to buy a new mother board?

I had this happen before also. I replaced the bios chip instead of replacing the MOBO

Only you can determine if you want to replace MOBO or the bios chip.

I got mine from the following place and had no troubles after getting it.They will send the most recent updated version if you ask for it.

http://www.biosman.com/replacement.htm

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

[quote=n1239999;2154250]Please Help! I have messed about witth my bios settings and I can’t get the pc to boot up at all. I have changed some settings out of desperation and hoped that it will work and now I can’t even get the pc to start it remains as a balck screen without booting or coming out with anything!

I would tell what i changed but I can’t remember I think it was the Cache and somthing to do with RAM speed.

The reason that made me do these changes is becuase I download a program called UltraBios. and when runing the program the blue screen of death appeared and I could not start windows again!

Is there a way to reset settings mother board and the bios so I can start the PC again.

Please Help. Do I have to buy a new mother board?[/quote]Relax! There is no way that you have destroyed anything just by changing BIOS settings. Unless you tried to flash the bios and screwed something up along the process that is. This ultrabios program you used, can you be more specific about it? Googling it gives no definite info.

For starters, just try to get the battery off the mobo for 2-3 minutes, put it back and reboot.

Thanks for the replies. However now it seems that the problem is my monitor will not show anything. I can hear the pc starting up but the monitor is not showing anything even when the pc seems doing something!
I have tried other pc monitors that I have at home and is still the same it won’t show anything. It is always displaying POWER SAVING MODE!
This happened after I changed some options in the bios and mother board settings!

I have tried removing the battery for 10 minutes, and tried reseting the CMOS carefully following guides

My Pc spcs.:
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date: July 10th 2003
BIOS ID: 07/10/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BB02C-00-None
BIOS OEM: NCG0626 ES - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Unknown
SuperIO: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 at port 002E
Manufacturer: AcerSystem
Motherboard: Aspire 8000 XP DDRb

System information:
Manufacturer: Acer
Family: Aspire
Model: 8000XP
operating system: Windows XP
Total physical memory: 256 MB
Processor Model: AMD Athelon XP 2600+
Pleasae any ideas
Thanks

Have you tried updating/flashing the BIOS or did you just change settings in the BIOS? A bad flash could explain the problem you are experiencing, otherwise i can see no reason why reseting the CMOS wont turn everything back to defaults and fix this.

Does your computer post? Do you hear a beep sound a few seconds after you boot it up?