Can't split screen monitors in Windows 10

vbimport

Ok, back with another question Microsoft, and others, haven’t been able to answer.

I built a computer and installed Windows 10. Installed a QuadroFX 560 graphics card with two DVI-I outputs. This card, and another graphics card, both split the screen in Windows 7. Since the Qradro wouldn’t split the monitors I installed the other card and it wouldn’t split the monitors either.

Now all I can I can get, in Windows 10, is mirrored monitors. In Display Setting the computer can’t find the second monitor. I have tried with Aero Snap off, and on, suggested by Microsoft, and still mirrored monitors. I have tries Windows button + Q and the troublershooter can be used for, according to Microsoft, a “view all” button is supposed to be in the top left hand corner and it not. I tried Windows button + P and I get the message: “Your PC can’t project another screen. Try reinstalling drivers”. I have reinstalled the drivers and even went to NVidia and their app says the drivers are up to date. I have tried several other things and nothing works.

So does anyone here have a suggestion that would split the monitors on this computer running Windows 10. Thanks.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2770368]Ok, back with another question Microsoft, and others, haven’t been able to answer.

I built a computer and installed Windows 10. Installed a QuadroFX 560 graphics card with two DVI-I outputs. This card, and another graphics card, both split the screen in Windows 7. Since the Qradro wouldn’t split the monitors I installed the other card and it wouldn’t split the monitors either.

Now all I can I can get, in Windows 10, is mirrored monitors. In Display Setting the computer can’t find the second monitor. I have tried with Aero Snap off, and on, suggested by Microsoft, and still mirrored monitors. I have tries Windows button + Q and the troublershooter can be used for, according to Microsoft, a “view all” button is supposed to be in the top left hand corner and it not. I tried Windows button + P and I get the message: “Your PC can’t project another screen. Try reinstalling drivers”. I have reinstalled the drivers and even went to NVidia and their app says the drivers are up to date. I have tried several other things and nothing works.

So does anyone here have a suggestion that would split the monitors on this computer running Windows 10. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Problem solved.

I don’t need the solution personally, but it might help others if you would show what you did to solve the issue.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2770446]I don’t need the solution personally, but it might help others if you would show what you did to solve the issue.[/QUOTE]

Download the cards driver to desktop. Right click, select properties, compatibility. Then I set the driver to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and the screen split.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2770446]I don’t need the solution personally, but it might help others if you would show what you did to solve the issue.[/QUOTE] Great initiative :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2770447]Download the cards driver to desktop. Right click, select properties, compatibility. Then I set the driver to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and the screen split.[/QUOTE]

It is a general trouble for all threads that they are left without a conclusion as it takes a greater incentive from the thread starter to report back what actually worked and make the thread universally usable.
Most of us who try to help notice that and while we can not do anything about it for the most, of course we enjoy when it actually happens and a thread gets a conclusion like here :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770451]Great initiative :slight_smile:

It is a general trouble for all threads that they are left without a conclusion as it takes a greater incentive from the thread starter to report back what actually worked and make the thread universally usable.
Most of us who try to help notice that and while we can not do anything about it for the most, of course we enjoy when it actually happens and a thread gets a conclusion like here :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Xercus, I ask a lot of questions as I have a problem that makes it difficult to learn simply from reading. The more technical the material the more difficult. So I generally learn best by doing.:cool:

But, sometimes, I surprise myself.:iagree::smiley:

I’m still curious.

So … You had to use old Windows 7 drivers, basically? Because the card is otherwise obsolete? (Saw a press release that the 560 was released in 2006, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it lost support sometime before the release of Windows 8)

Did Windows try to install a generic driver beforehand?

[QUOTE=Albert;2770469]I’m still curious.

So … You had to use old Windows 7 drivers, basically? Because the card is otherwise obsolete? (Saw a press release that the 560 was released in 2006, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it lost support sometime before the release of Windows 8)

Did Windows try to install a generic driver beforehand?[/QUOTE]

No, Albert, until I got the 560 driver installed in compatibility mode all I could get was mirrored monitors and windows did nothing. :slight_smile:

And, yes, the 560 is obsolete, especially as W10 is concerned. It worked in W7, but wouldn’t in W10. I had downloaded to driver after installing W10 on this computer, installed it, but nothing happened until the installation in compatibility mode.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2770473]No, Albert, until I got the 560 driver installed in compatibility mode all I could get was mirrored monitors and windows did nothing. :slight_smile:

And, yes, the 560 is obsolete, especially as W10 is concerned. It worked in W7, but wouldn’t in W10. I had downloaded to driver after installing W10 on this computer, installed it, but nothing happened until the installation in compatibility mode.[/QUOTE]

This suddenly became more interesting as a general discussion… Did you try an upgrade, or was the Windows 10 install a fresh one? I am asking as I have a feeling that upgrading makes a lot more work than a fresh install… No proven fact afaik, just a feeling.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770480]This suddenly became more interesting as a general discussion… Did you try an upgrade, or was the Windows 10 install a fresh one? I am asking as I have a feeling that upgrading makes a lot more work than a fresh install… No proven fact afaik, just a feeling.[/QUOTE]

This was a fresh install. The board is an Intel board I bought for $15.00. When I buy a board I always fresh install whatever OS I am going to install, this was W10, and then go through the process of updating the OS through the Windows updater. I have had boards run continually for up to 12 hours finding and then installing the updates. This is my way of stressing the board and cpu.

So, I fresh installed W10, updated it and then, once I got the OS working the way I wanted it to, I installed the 560. Windows would do nothing to help with driver updates or anything. Then I compatibility mode and everything works. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770482]Thanks :flower:[/QUOTE]

Well, Xercus, I am the same way. When some gets on my mind it drives me to distraction until I find and answer.

My mother tells me that when I was young every time someone said something to me the first thing out of my mouth was “Why?”.:slight_smile: