Can't seem to burn DVDs any longer

vbimport

#1

Hello everyone,

I’m Shelly and new to this site.

I’ve been having this problem for several months now but never had the time to find a solution. I did some research on the internet but I’m such a novice that I really don’t even know what I’m looking for . lol

Here goes:

Brother installed a DVD/CD RW Drive, downloaded software to burn these and left me with instructions and a stack of blank CDs and DVDs. I was completely successful. Not one dud DVD burn.

My procedure:

  1. DVD Decrypt
  2. RipIt4Me
  3. DvD Shrink

Ok, since these work in conjunction with each other I forget the order but you get the idea. I do nothing else. I don’t change any settings or features. I wouldn’t know how to. I used TDK DVD-R, 8x, 4.7GB, 120 minutes discs.

When I finished those, went to the store and and bought two spindles of:

Verbatim DVD -R, 4.7 GB, 120 min, 16x.
TDK DVD -R, 4.7 GB, 120 min, 16x.

This is were the problems started. I would say it’s a usually a 80/20% chance with these new blank media. 80% of the time they don’t burn at all, 20% if I’m lucky. When I mean they don’t burn, I mean I pop them into the DVD player and they run for about 5-10 seconds and just stop.

They DVD player I use is a Panasonic DVD -RV32. I’ve never used any other.

So everything is exactly the same except the 8X and 16x which I don’t even know what that means. So I’m just guessing that what I need to do is change the settings in my software to accommodate the different blank DVD with the 16x.

Is this right and if so would anyone know how I could go about doing that?

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Shelly

The DVDs I used were


#2

What is the program that you burn with?


#3

So, these blank 16x dvds are successfully written, but don’t play in your Panasonic player?

Try playing them on the computer. Download and use VLC media player to test them: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The Verbatims should be very good media. The TDK 16x not so much.


#4

Hi BeefBarley,

Thanks for your response.

I did list the softwares I use in my initial post but I believe it’s the DVD Decrypter software that actually burns the DVDs.

Thanks…


#5

Hi Kerry56,

Thanks for your reponse.

I’m so duh!! lol

I burn the DVDs to watch on TV. I never thought of checking them to see how they work on the computer.

Well, they work perfectly. Real Audio, Windows Media, VLC, yep they all work perfectly.

So it seems, like I mentioned, that the Panasonic player likes the 8x but not the 16x blank media discs. So to use the 16x successfully do you think I would need to change some settings in the actual burning software? Or wouldn’t that make a difference?

Thanks again,


#6

With what DVD burner are you writing the discs? The drive should be listed in DVD Decrypter. :wink:


#7

Hello Albert,

Thanks for your post.

Here it is:

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D


#8

I have a 111L Pioneer, and have found it to be a very good drive. It should be able to handle those 16x disks with no problems. You might try changing the burning speed of DVDDecrypter from Max to 8x.

Or take the output from RipIt4Me and use ImgBurn, which is the updated burning engine from DVDDecrypter. But it really sounds like the disks are being burned correctly, they’re just not recognized by your player.

You say you are using -R disks, not +R 16x?


#9

Hello Kerry 56,

Yes, all the disks I’ve used are all -R. I learned that early on b/c I still have the instruction manual for my Panasonic DVD player which states it can only play -R.

Since I took your advice and checked all the discs in the media players, yes they are definitely burning correctly.

But I will practice burning using your advice about changing the Decrypter setting and look into IMGburn.

Naturally, the easiest solution would be just to purchase again the initial blank media which I know works however I have since purchased a total of 6 spindles of TDK and Verbatim 16x which I don’t feel like returning.

I will update you on how it goes.

Thanks!!!


#10

Hi,

I’m leaving the forum for the evening but will check back tomorrow for any responses.

Thanks again!


#11

TDK discs these days are kinda crappy, Verbatim should work.

Use Imgburn and pleast post a logfile here.


#12

Hello everyone,

I’m sorry I haven’t been back sooner. Since I last posted, there were 2
deaths in the family and I had to travel overseas for work.

It’s just the last couple of days that I’ve had time to test out some of the advice that was given.

I’ve just burned a couple DVDS but I’ve definitely seen an improvement by changing the write speed as recommended.

I haven’t tested IMGBurn yet but since I don’t understand all the bells and whistles of burning software anyway, I think I’ll stick with DVD Decrypter since I’m familiar with it and its automatically set up to work with Ripit and DVD Shrink.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Michele


#13

[QUOTE=shellykelly;2070017]Hello everyone,

I’m sorry I haven’t been back sooner. [B]Since I last posted, there were 2
deaths in the family and I had to travel overseas for work. [/B]

It’s just the last couple of days that I’ve had time to test out some of the advice that was given.

I’ve just burned a couple DVDS but I’ve definitely seen an improvement by changing the write speed as recommended.

I haven’t tested IMGBurn yet but since I don’t understand all the bells and whistles of burning software anyway, I think I’ll stick with DVD Decrypter since I’m familiar with it and its automatically set up to work with Ripit and DVD Shrink.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Michele[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that.

Imgburn is “the new dvddecrypter without the DecSS option” beause of the big biz industry. Apart from that feature, its better, IMHO.


#14

[QUOTE=chef;2070109]Sorry to hear that.

Imgburn is “the new dvddecrypter without the DecSS option” beause of the big biz industry. Apart from that feature, its better, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

To clarify that a little more, dvd decryptor was sued and shut down by macro vision because it would crack macrovision copy protection. The copy you are using hasn’t been updated in 3 years. Imgburn is the same exact program with the same user interface and options etc (it should be very easy to switch over to), except it lacks the ability to remove copy protection. It has current updates though and might support your drive better. ITs good to have both dvd decryptor (as it can do coying/copy protection removal) and imgburn (as it is more up to date for the burning end of it).

A couple of other things. The review of this drive indicates it has issues with 16x burning, however many 16x medias burned well at 12x.

Updating firmware might help with burn quality. Check here for info on firmware.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/

This drive is supposed to automatically bitset. That means when the drive writes the disk type id to a dvd+r, it falsely writes that the disk is a dvd-rom. Bitset dvd+r are the most compatible. You might not want to completely rule out +r media as your player might play it if it is bitset.


#15

There is a link on this page to download dvd shrink that will use Imgburn instead of dvd decryptor: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/521885