Can't seem to burn anything with any program

vbimport

I used to use DVD Shrink + DVD Decryptor, but recently DVD Shrink doesn’t seem to be able to either: open a DVD or back it up. It just freezes. So then I used DVD Decryptor to make an ISO on my hardrive, shrink it with DVD Shrink and then burn the newly shrunk ISO with DVD Decryptor. Now I can’t even make the ISO file with Decryptor with the last two movies I tried; Magnolia and Being John Malkovich. The problem with Magnolia was to do with Dummy Sectors or something, idk - I got a Retry Abort Ignore message. A quick google search lead me to two other programs with did nothing… With the other movie, BJM, it just stopped doing anything for a while I couldn’t tell what error it was from the log. Then I found DVD Fab and apparently its much better, can rip anything etc.

And again it fails. I’m not sure what the problem is though, it just pops up with the Retry Abort Ignore thing and nothing helps. Any ideas on how to go about this?

There’s nothing particularly special about those movies as they’re both older titles so it looks like the discs are either dirty or have been damaged.

Try cleaning them with a soft lint free cloth and re-ripping.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Alright I’ll try that. I noticed that about 1 or 2 minutes of BJM didn’t work or something so I had to skip it. I haven’t watched Magnolia yet so I bet there’s something wrong with that too…

Also could it be that something is wrong with my laptop? I just found it strange that DVDShrink suddenly stopped working (since as of late I’ve been mostly ripping movies from the 90’s) and now Decrypter stopped working…

[QUOTE=squib23;2484142]Alright I’ll try that. I noticed that about 1 or 2 minutes of BJM didn’t work or something so I had to skip it. I haven’t watched Magnolia yet so I bet there’s something wrong with that too…

Also could it be that something is wrong with my laptop? I just found it strange that DVDShrink suddenly stopped working (since as of late I’ve been mostly ripping movies from the 90’s) and now Decrypter stopped working…[/QUOTE]

Hi squib23
Welcome to the forum :flower:

The two programs you are using DVD Shrink and DVD Devrypter are both very out dated however they still work on most older movie titles, since you are talking about a laptop I would suggest you use an externalB[/B] DVDdrive/burner because most laptops come with the slim model which are known for problematic issues from running very hot due to poor ventilation.

lol, you can buy external USB DVD drives? Didn’t know that and I’ve had a disc jammed in my good laptop for over half a year now, I’m burning with my older laptop. Just tried burning Rush Hour 2 with DVD Decryptor and it just stopped working at 80%… the error was “Failed to Read Sector” “Timeout on Logical Unit”… this is annoying me now.

I guess the overheating thing may make sense since I’ve been burning a LOT recently…

DVD Decrypter is no longer updated and hasn’t been for sometime now,so it can’t bypass the newer protections try using DVDFAB Decrypter

[QUOTE=squib23;2484165]lol, you can buy external USB DVD drives? Didn’t know that and I’ve had a disc jammed in my good laptop for over half a year now, I’m burning with my older laptop. Just tried burning Rush Hour 2 with DVD Decryptor and it just stopped working at 80%… the error was “Failed to Read Sector” “Timeout on Logical Unit”… this is annoying me now.

I guess the overheating thing may make sense since I’ve been burning a LOT recently…[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile: Just use the internal drive/burner for only reading and do all the burning with the external :wink:

also when it stopped at 80% if it was during the burn process then it may sound like the laser is having trouble focusing on the blank media you are using…a common issue among low quality media

Erm sorry, it wasn’t doing the actual burning to a blank disc it was the ripping of the ISO.

And @Jimbo DVD Fab doesn’t work for me either…

[QUOTE=squib23;2484332]Erm sorry, it wasn’t doing the actual burning to a blank disc it was the ripping of the ISO.

And @Jimbo DVD Fab doesn’t work for me either…[/QUOTE]

“Failed to Read Sector” during the copying processcan mean either the DVD is dirty and/or scratched and needs cleaning, if you have this problem with all DVD’s the lens in the drive/burner needs cleaning

What is a good lens cleaner to use? Any suggestions?

Personally I would only use a lens cleaner as a last resort as they’re of dubious benefit and there are stories of them causing damage to what are essentially sensitive components.

You can buy lens cleaning discs that are basically just CDs with little brushes built in and these are probably the safest but I still wouldn’t even recommend using these unless you’re certain that it’s the lens causing the problem.

If these are the only discs you’re having difficulties with then it’s most likely to be a problem with the discs and you should check out the various disc repair solutions.

You can buy disc polishers, get a rental store to do it for you, use repair fluid or any one of a number of home remedies.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Alright thanks, I realized it was the disc’s problem because I ripped a few other DVDs fine. Guess I was just unlucky with 3 different DVDs not working in a row.