Can't see MPG file after burning Nero 6 CD Extra

I’ve made several attempts to burn audio tracks and a single MPG file to replicate Enhanced CD content.

The audio burns and plays back without problem. I can’t pick up the video though. I can see that 2 folders have been created on the CD:
Session 01 which contains the Audio tracks
Session 02 which contains nothing and I am assuming this is where the MPG file should be.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Dave

What are you using for playback, a PC or stand alone player? What program are you using to create the CD?

I am using a PC. To create I am using Nero 6 Express and choosing Music > Audio and Data CD.

I’m not a Nero user but I found this"

"Burning an Enhanced CD (CD Extra) with Nero:

To burn an Enhanced CD with Nero Burning ROM (6.0 or greater):

Select “CD Extra” and input desired settings.

Add your audio tracks by dragging your audio files to the track window.

Add your data files by dragging them to the folder structure window"

That’s what I did - several times. For some reason that I can’t fathom its not burning the movie file. Hence the question.

[QUOTE=wendivad;2577711]…choosing Music > Audio and Data CD.[/QUOTE]

This is what you wrote.

That is the Nero Express route. I tried both the shortcut thru Nero Express and the long winded route thru Nero Burning ROM. Net result was still the same.

As I stated, I don’t use Nero. You can try CDBurnerXP, http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home, it’s freeware. All you really want to do is create a multi-session CD. Burn your audio tracks as you normally would, close the session but don’t finalize the disk. Next add your video file and burn it, close the session and then finalize the disk. This is from their website:

Mixed mode disc

A mixed mode disc is one of the disc types known as Enhanced CD/CD Extra/CD Plus. A mixed mode disc contains both audio (for usual audio players) and data (readable for other devices, like PCs).

To create a mixed mode disc, start a new audio compilation and burn your audio tracks to disc. If you are asked how to burn the disc, choose Let me choose advanced settings. In the burn settings dialog, make sure that Finalize disc is unchecked and Track at Once / Pause between tracks is selected. Then start the burning process.

After that, start a new data compilation. Add all the data you need to the layout, and open the burn settings dialog (press the burn button in any of the toolbars). Again, if you are asked for the type of disc, choose Advanced settings. In the burn settings dialog, make sure that Finalize disc is checked, and Session at Once selected. Start the burning process.

Now you should end up with a CD that contains both audio and files.

Why “mpg”.

Usually there is a *.dat file on it…

I tried that. It burned the audio without issue. Then when I came to burn the mpg file it said there isn’t enough space. However, when you do the math, there must be. I am burning about 14 minutes of WAV data (about 150mb) and 1 small 3 minute mpg file (42mb). There is no way this shouldn’t be able to fit on a normal 80 minute CD-R.

@wendivad
On your CDs burned with Nero 6 you can’t see the CDPLUS & PICTURES folders in Explorer ?

[QUOTE=chef;2577894]Why “mpg”.
Usually there is a *.dat file on it…[/QUOTE]According to which standard ?

[QUOTE=Terramex;2578017]@wendivad
On your CDs burned with Nero 6 you can’t see the CDPLUS & PICTURES folders in Explorer ?

According to which standard ?[/QUOTE]

No I cannot see anything other than the 3 Audio files that it has burned.

I don’t understand the comment about *.dat.

To reiterate, I am using Nero 6 Express and choosing Music > Audio and Data CD. I select the WAV files that I want to burn and check the box “no pause between tracks”. I then move on to a section that allows me to identify the Data I wish to add. There are the 2 red colored folders entitled CDPlus and Pictures. I hit the “Add” button, highlight my MPG file and add it, it appears below the red folders. I can play the file if I highlight it and press the “Play” button.
I then burn it and get no error messages.

Which write method did you use ?
If it was set to Track-at-Once please retry with Disc-at-Once.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2578048]Which write method did you use ?
If it was set to Track-at-Once please retry with Disc-at-Once.[/QUOTE]
It is set to Disc At Once.

Try session at once.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2578051]Try session at once.[/QUOTE]

How do I do this? I can’t see it as an option in Nero Express. Do I have to go into the full Nero Burning ROM to find this setting?

I don’t know how it’s done with Nero or even if your burner supports SAO. Did you try a different burning program?

I checked Nero Burning ROM and it looks like DAO or TAO are the only options.

I’ve tried a few other pieces of software to try and do this but had no luck.

I am wondering if I am supposed to stick the MPG file into one of the two pink/red folders - or even create a new folder. The Nero instructions are pretty poor on this. I am doing some GOOGLE-ing to see if there is a better description on where the MPG should go exactly.

If a burner supports DAO burning it most certainly supports SAO, but afair Nero doesn’t offer that option.

[QUOTE=wendivad;2578055]I am wondering if I am supposed to stick the MPG file into one of the two pink/red folders - or even create a new folder. [/QUOTE]No, your approach was absolutely correct.

Do you have the chance to try your already burned CDs on another PC ?

EDIT:
Also, if you like you can try the following:

• open a new CD Extra project in Nero Burning ROM

• switch your real burner to ‘Image Recorder’ using the drop down menu

• add your audio & mpg just like the way you did before

• “Burn” a NRG Image file to your hard disc

• download DAEMON Tools lite 4.40.2 & install (uncheck the options you don’t like; most likely Toolbar, Start Page & Search)

• if checked please uncheck ‘Advanced Emulation’

• now mount your NRG image file into DAEMON Tools’ virtual drive

Can you now see your MPG in Explorer ?
If yes, then Nero treats the project correctly without fail, but either Nero’s burning fails,
or some circumstance (to be honest i’m not aware of any) on your PC makes only the first session “visible” after burning.

I am so kicking myslef right now! You hit the nail on the head with your question about whether I’d tried the burned disc in another PC. I borrowed a laptop and tried - looks like all the attempts I’ve made have actually burned the movie file to the CD. The ones just using the regular CD Extra route have the extra folders on there for Pictures and CD Plus. All the others ones burned using various suggestions have not got these folders but the MPG is there.

I am sorry to waste your time.

Next question, any ideas why I cannot see the MPG file in Explorer on my normal PC? Its a regular Windows PC with XP on it.

Also, I tried buring the NRG file and once again Explorer sees nothing on there other than the 3 Audio tracks.