Can't see MP4s on my PS3

I’m using the new 6 release, but I’ve also tried this with 5. I’ve tried converting AVI files and other files into “Playstation 3” format (MP4), and I’ve also tried converting DVD movies. Nothing ever seems to show up to the PS3 when I browse the computer across the network (through Windows Media Server).

AVIs that are compatible with the PS3 do show up – I can browse and watch them on the PS3. Incompatible AVIs still show up in the listing but can’t be played, so shouldn’t the MP4 files converted by DVDFab at least be visible across the network? Why can’t I even see the file entries?

Is there maybe some setting on the PS3 that I’ve got wrong?

Do I need to burn them onto a DVD instead of trying to read them across the network? If so, how do I make that kind of disc?

:frowning:

probably would get more help posting in the dvdfab mobile option/videofab converter at the top of the page. maybe a mod will move your thread there since double posting is frowned upon.

I would appreciate it, mods, thank you. I really need to know what’s going on here, it’s driving me crazy. :slight_smile:

I just did “Underworld” this morning to an mp4 and it worked fine. I put it on a USB thumb drive in a folder named “VIDEO” and it worked like a charm. I didn’t try to stream it.

How do you view items on the PS3 off a thumb drive? Just stick it in? Do the contents of the “VIDEO” folder automatically appear in the Video section of the UMB? Or do you have to run one of the programs and search for them?

Yeah, the USB device will show up in the UMB, select it and the titles will be listed.

yeah thats what i do sometimes, I can’t stream because i have a 64 bit version of vista.

Odd – I can’t get that to work either.

I just set up TVersity and that seems to have solved the problem, though. Through that interface (which I believe is based on UPnP) I can see all the Mp4 files and even copy them down to the PS3 where they play normally. Go figure.

when using the thumbdrive method, scroll to the video tab on your ps3 and hit the triangle button on your ps3 controller and then some options pop up in the sidebar and select show all. i seen the TVersity and it’s supposed to work for the 64-bit based systems but i just upgraded my video card which has an hdmi output and bypassed the ps3. glad you got it going.

[QUOTE=riptorn;2276576]when using the thumbdrive method, scroll to the video tab on your ps3 and hit the triangle button on your ps3 controller and then some options pop up in the sidebar and select show all. i seen the TVersity and it’s supposed to work for the 64-bit based systems but i just upgraded my video card which has an hdmi output and bypassed the ps3. glad you got it going.[/QUOTE]

Just run a Cat5 cable from your router to the PS3 and stream that way. Streaming video should be all wired all the time!

thanks for the suggestion. I just prefer to use the ps3 for gaming only though but its always good to know one’s options if and when you need them.

[QUOTE=riptorn;2276586]thanks for the suggestion. I just prefer to use the ps3 for gaming only though but its always good to know one’s options if and when you need them.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I use mine for gaming and BR movies but it is wired for the Internet through the same router as my PC so I can stream if I choose that way.

I suspect the use of WiFi is part of the problem, yes. I’d run a Cat5 but it’s just not workable in the current situation. My DSL comes in through the “office” room, but my PS3 is in the living room. I’m looking into the possibility of having the provider split the dsl and have it come in to both rooms.

I just posted a new thread… searching for “PS3” in the forum didn’t bring this up, but Googling the web brought me across it.

I’m having the same problem. I’m streaming from a Vista x64 machine across a wi-fi network, but I don’t see how that can be related. I can stream anything I want just fine… music, pics, videos… EXCEPT for DVDs ripped to MP4 using the DVDFab DVD to PS3 option. When DVDFab offers a DVD to PS3 option, it doesn’t seem like using TVersity should be considered a solution to the files not showing up on the PS3.

Viewing network files with your PS3 is normally handled by Windows Media Player File Sharing. WMP does not support the MP4 format and will not display any .mp4 titles. There are a few other media server software packages that will accomplish this, but this type of streaming is not always effective (especially when using WiFi instead of CAT5). The simplest fix is to take a thumb drive, create a folder called VIDEO and place the mp4 file in there. Once the USB stick is inserted into the PS3 the drive should be detected and the mp4 file should play just fine.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I knew WMP couldn’t play MP4’s… didn’t occur to me that the extender wouldn’t share them. I guess TVersity is looking pretty good right now.

Thanks again!