Can't see CD drive in windows

vbimport

Hi,
I have a problem with my parents Dell Vostro running Windows 7. The CD drive has disappeared from Computer. It also doesn’t who in disk management.

In Device Manager there’s an exclamation mark against the ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA device entry. I’ve tried uninstalling that entry and running a detect again. It reappears but with the exclamation mark still.

The CD works if you boot off of it.
I’ve also tried a USB CD drive with the same effect.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Olly

[QUOTE=oliverm;2567287]Hi,
I have a problem with my parents Dell Vostro running Windows 7. The CD drive has disappeared from Computer. It also doesn’t who in disk management.

In Device Manager there’s an exclamation mark against the ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA device entry. I’ve tried uninstalling that entry and running a detect again. It reappears but with the exclamation mark still.

The CD works if you boot off of it.
I’ve also tried a USB CD drive with the same effect.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Olly[/QUOTE]

What kinda interface does that drive use? When did this happen and what A/V are you using? And the exclamation mark does it say anything else for the error message? And since your able to boot from it that would suggest something in the O/S has gotten corrupted and you might have to reinstall to fix the problem? But since we don’t have the error message what the Dell is reporting to you it will be hard to know what happened???

cannot start (code 10)
It’s a sata drive
AV is trend micro

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en