Cant rip The Dresden Files disc 1

trying (in vain I fear) DVDFab3 (newest version) for the umpteenth time.

it tries, then comes up with that Pathfinder msg, so I click yes to restart it with pathfinder enabled, it found errors b4 it started so in the end i clicked ignore all. now its working (i can hear the disk spinning) but the progress bar isnt moving.

have tried dvd decrypter, that couldnt even get started on it (i 4get the error msg), dvd shrink wont touch it (cyclic redundancy)

admittedly the disk is a bit scuffed, but no scratches. my sis in law owns them and wants them backed up before they get scratched, cos theyre well worn

does anyone have any suggestions please? :kiss:

im just downloading this

DVDFab HD Decrypter 4.0.0.5 Beta:
http://www.dvdfab.com/DVDFabHDDecrypter4005Beta.exe

to see if it helps.

ok that beta dvdfab managed to rip the file, after 5 hours! :eek:

now dvdshrink wont shrink it so i can burn it to disk :sad:

i got this dvdshrink error message;

Programming error - exception occurred. the handle is invalid :a

i have no idea what that means or how to get round it. :frowning:

theres 4 episodes on the disk, maybe i cud put 2 on one disk and 2 on another if someone could please tell me how? tho i wud prefer to keep them all on the same disk

please help someone!!! :bow:

First off, are you able to view the files from your hdd?

Have you tried to clean up the disc? Rubbing alcohol or windex works well.
There are are few things to try to “restore” the scuffed disc.
Brasso metal polish works well with a microfiber cloth.
Essentially works like a jeweler’s rouge to polish. I’ve heard some toothpastes work this way as well.

Be certain to wipe/buff from the inside out, like spokes on a wheel and Not around as you would a cd.
You can also try Pledge furniture polish.

Finally, there are some retail machines, dunno about these. There are some industrial grade machines out there, but these cost a few hundred bucks. You would have to take the disc to a shop.

im rying to play them. theyre video TS files. nero wont play it without buying a plug in. windows media player said summat about a .BUP file extension and wont play them. realplayer says unable to play vob file.

:lol: i guess i will have to clean the disk and retry. i have tried the 2nd disk and it took a while to rip too. havent tried burning it yet tho

thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Check your drives in the device manager to make sure they have not slipped into PIO mode, from the read errors, they should be in DMA mode. If they have look in Mainemans signature for the “How to’s”

Try VLC, there’s a link in my sig. It’s free, does not rely on external codecs and will play darn near anything.

Yeah, I’d try cleaning the disc. Start off with the rubbing alcohol and take it a step at a time.

Good luck, and you’re welcome.

[QUOTE=tgidday;1921472]Check your drives in the device manager to make sure they have not slipped into PIO mode, from the read errors, they should be in DMA mode. If they have look in Mainemans signature for the “How to’s”[/QUOTE]

i reset the DMA on dvdfab, that usually makes it rip a dvd when it cudnt b4 but it didnt work this time. i will check the settings tho, thanks

[QUOTE=maineman;1921475]Try VLC, there’s a link in my sig. It’s free, does not rely on external codecs and will play darn near anything.

Yeah, I’d try cleaning the disc. Start off with the rubbing alcohol and take it a step at a time.

Good luck, and you’re welcome.[/QUOTE]

thanks, i will try VLC first cos theres no point cleaning and re-ripping it if the files on the puter are ok, is there? :disagree:

vlc d/l went tits up on me last night LOL trying again now

right, VLC will play MOST OF the files, so theyre ok. there are a few that have no converted and wont play with VLC. does that mean i have to re-rip them??? most of them are only 14kb and are either back up files of the IFO (apparently lol) or dvd movie info.

should i re-rip??

Hi RRos
From VLC’s File menu, select Open Directory to play the DVD files as a DVD player would. VLC will play the VOB files by themselves (if you select Open File), but this won’t test the functionality of the menus or read the IFO files the way Open Directory will. When the Select a Directory box pops up, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and open it.

wow thats wicked,thanks!!! :bow:

they play ok, so how do i get them on disk if dvdshrink wont shrink them??

Hi RandyRos,

Please try DVDFab Platinum at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

Best Regards,
Fengtao

thank you

have cleaned the disk as directed. dvdfab platinum restarted to do the PathPlayer thingy…

now getting read errors. i guess that means the disk IS scratched???

clicking retry…

nope. clicking “ignore all” i think i did that before and thats when i got it onto my HD but cudnt put it to disk :frowning:

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

dvdfab p[latinum ripped it but i went to dvdshrink it and it went 97% before saying…

failed to read file “blah blah” invalid access to memory location :frowning:

See if you can run the files that will not work in shrink with Imgburn in build mode then mount that ISO on a virtual drive and try using shrink again.

As tgidday suggested, I think Img build mode will work.
Another possibility now that you have platinum and not just Fab HD decrypter (freeware), is to do the whole thing in platinum. If platinum ripped it ok, it should burn it as well. Just make sure your “source” is the original and your “target” is your blank media. If you’re only using one drive, this will take 2 steps and the app will prompt you to change discs

[QUOTE=tgidday;1925066]See if you can run the files that will not work in shrink with Imgburn in build mode then mount that ISO on a virtual drive and try using shrink again.[/QUOTE]

im sorry, i understand that Imgburn is a program, but the rest of that is beyond me :frowning:

[QUOTE=maineman;1925079]As tgidday suggested, I think Img build mode will work.
Another possibility now that you have platinum and not just Fab HD decrypter (freeware), is to do the whole thing in platinum. If platinum ripped it ok, it should burn it as well. Just make sure your “source” is the original and your “target” is your blank media. If you’re only using one drive, this will take 2 steps and the app will prompt you to change discs[/QUOTE]

the app wudnt start. it said i dont have dual layer media. :doh:

ive found the file that is bad, i watched it on the pc and it goes blocky and jams right at the end of it.

unfortunately i havent watched the dvd so i have no idea if the file is a part of an episode or if its an extra. all i know is it is the very last file in the folder.

do you think i could safely delete it and still burn the disc???