Can't restore backed-up Outlook file

vbimport

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to this club, and new to CD-burning. The answer to my query is probably not LiteOn-specific; apologies, and you might want to answer off-list, if you think it would be wasting other members' time.

I'm screwing up my courage to attempt my first-ever Windows reinstall. I've been backing up personal data. One crucial file is my MS Outlook mailbox file, C:\Windows\mailbox.pst I copied this onto a CD-R with my brand-new Liteon LTR-40125S. (It's about 300 MB - I must do some culling ...)

Then I tried to test the backup by opening Outlook using the copy. But I got an error message telling me that the copy is not a valid .pst file.

I copied the backup file back across to my hard disk, but got the same result with this new file. I altered its properties so that the Read-only box is cleared, and the Archive box is ticked (checked). Still no good.

Can anyone tell me what to do next? Do I have to resort to the Inbox Repair Tool?

Best,

Chris

Doesn’t Outlook has it’s own export method ? I tend to believe that’s much more reliable than just copying the .pst file.

Export it to some map on your harddisk , and try to import than export. Then burn to cd and try to import again.

Thanks for this, Mr Belvedere.

Exporting from Outlook seems to work fine when I do it to the hard disk.

However, when I try to do it to a CD-R, I get the message ‘not a valid filename’.

• the file type I’m trying to save it as is Personal Folder File (.pst);
  • the filename is D:\Perso1.pst
  • the CD has previously had a file burned onto it using Nero.

[I’ve just noticed that when I look at the CD’s properties, it’s described as having 27 MB used, but 0 MB free. Why’s this? Is this relevant to my problem?]

Best,

Chris

Originally posted by Chris Cooper
[B]
[I’ve just noticed that when I look at the CD’s properties, it’s described as having 27 MB used, but 0 MB free. Why’s this? Is this relevant to my problem?]

Best,

Chris [/B]

A cd always has 0 Mb free , even when it’s a cd with only 1 byte written to it. The Windows file system cannot write directly to it in the same method as a floppy disk drive. (Perhaps when using Mount Rainier this will change).

You type that the cd already has some file(s) on it written. This means that this cd consists of multiple sessions. Could be that you have to select the correct session first before you can import the file.

> Could be that you have to select the correct session first before you can import the file.

Dunno. I just copy the file from CD to HD, in Windows, without any information about sessions being displayed.

When I try to open up mailbox.pst from the HD, I get messages like 'You don’t have permission to access this file … ’ This seems to be cured when I clear the Read-only box in Properties. But after that I get ‘This is not a Personal Folders File.’

This last is also the message I get if I try to open the mailbox.pst file from the CD directly.

a very basic step by step run down.

open outlook
file
import/export
export to file
*.pst
select the top folder (it will be “your name’s mailbox”) or something close.
click the box at the bottom that says “include all subfolders”
select location/name/proporties (best leave proporties as defaults)

2 - 3 minutes later the pst file will be created

now, to import it, you do the exaxt same steps, just replace export with import.

(i dont believe you can access a pst just by clicking on it…well not all the time anyways, i beleive u have to set it up as a personal folder to do that.)

P.S what version of outlook ?

Thanks for this, huzzy. I appreciate everyone’s efforts to get me past Square One.

As I said in an earlier post:

>>>
Exporting from Outlook seems to work fine when I do it to the hard disk.

However, when I try to do it to a CD-R, I get the message ‘not a valid filename’.

• the file type I’m trying to save it as is Personal Folder File (.pst);
  • the filename is D:\Perso1.pst
  • the CD has previously had a file burned onto it using Nero.
    >>>

I’ve just tried again: identical result.

It’s Outlook 2000, by the way.

Cheers,

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

you cant just tell it to go to the CDR…unless you have packet writing software or mt rainer…if you havent heard of those 2 terms then you dont have it.

just write to the hard disk.
then use nero or the likes, to burn the file to the disk.

same thing…just takes 10 mins extra.

Sorry, Huzzy, I can’t understand your post.

> ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I understand that bit.

> you cant just tell it to go to the CDR…

?? I did what you said:

>>
open outlook
file
import/export
export to file
*.pst
select the top folder (it will be “your name’s mailbox”) or something close.
click the box at the bottom that says “include all subfolders”
select location/name/proporties (best leave proporties as defaults)
>>

> just write to the hard disk.

What ?!

> then use nero or the likes, to burn the file to the disk.

In my 1st post, I said:

>>
I’ve been backing up personal data. One crucial file is my MS Outlook mailbox file, C:\Windows\mailbox.pst I copied this onto a CD-R with my brand-new Liteon LTR-40125S. (It’s about 300 MB - I must do some culling …)

Then I tried to test the backup by opening Outlook using the copy. But I got an error message telling me that the copy is not a valid .pst file.

I copied the backup file back across to my hard disk, but got the same result with this new file. I altered its properties so that the Read-only box is cleared, and the Archive box is ticked (checked). Still no good.
>>

So you see - I’ve used Nero to make a copy to a CD-R, and the copy won’t open. And I’ve tried to export directly from Outlook to the CD-R, and got the ‘invalid filename’ message.

Thx,

Chris

ok, im confusing you and myself.

how do you know its not working ?

to test if it works you have to import (opposite to export) the pst file back into outlook.

All right, I think it’s got through to me.

• Export from Outlook to a file on the hard disk.
  • Copy this file from the HD to the CD-R via Nero.
  • Reinstall Windows, Outlook.
  • Copy the file from the CD to the HD.
  • Import this file into Outlook.

I now realize this is what you were trying to tell me all along.

Thx, Huzzy & Mr B