Can't recognize my drive

hi there i am a newbie and here is my problem. i had a redirect virus that i removed…but the virus changed my computer to where i was showing 2 cd rom drives an e: and f: drive. my actual drive is a pioneer dvd rw. i uninstalled the drive thinking that would fix it…but it didn’t. the drive is a pioneer 1910LS. I was looking online for drivers but cant find any. Also i was trying to drfrag my computer but get an error stating disc defrag could not start…any ideas of some fixes. i’m running windows xp.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=bosshogg501;2312008]hi there i am a newbie and here is my problem. i had a redirect virus that i removed…but the virus changed my computer to where i was showing 2 cd rom drives an e: and f: drive.[/quote]You can’t clean a compromised system.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

Michael

thanks…what do you recommend?

[QUOTE=bosshogg501;2312225]thanks…what do you recommend?[/QUOTE]If you have read the article I mentioned, then you’d already know:
Formatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows is the only chance to get back to a system you can trust.
Apart from that, changing the passwords on all services you are using online is highly recommended.

Michael

The best bet is like was stated to re-format and install windows. Hopefully you have the restore disk or your computer was made after mid 2006 and the re-set data is stored on a partition on your hard drive. Try googling your machines model number and type and see if there are support forums or tech forums on how to do it. As far as the virus if you want you can try and find root-kit removal tools. Again to find one google is your friend. Avert’s McCaffey Stinger is excellent for removing a lot of them depending on how deeply it is rooted in and how comromised your system is. As far as the drivers go Uniblue Driver scanner is excellent. It will back-up the drivers you have, scan for out-dated scanners, download the ones that need updated and give you a threat level for how it could affect your system by changing the drivers. Malwarebytes offers a free scanner, SpyBot Search and destroy does as well. Between these three if it is super nasty it will do a lot to help in the removal of your re-direct. The McCaffee Stinger is the best for that particular string as well as the ugly Vundo family. Hope this helps.

you guys are great help and i do truley appreciate all the assistance.