Can't read UDF DVDs in win7x64

vbimport

I’ve burned a few UDF disks while I was using windows XP and I never had any trouble reading them. Now I’m using 7x64 and explorer shows all UDF DVDs as empty. I can burn them fine with Nero, but I can’t read them back. The only way to see the content is with IsoBuster.
I assume that this must be a common issue since lots of people use 7x64 and UDF is the default mode that Nero selects when burning a new disk, but I haven’t been able to find a solution. A commonly refered MS-KB patch doesn’t work on my pc (Windows6.1-KB975617-x64). It says not applicable to your computer.
I assume I need a driver update but I can’t find the new driver anywhere and I’m baffled that win 7 can’t read UDFs when XP had no troulbe at all.

[QUOTE=aiolos;2665624I’m baffled that win 7 can’t read UDFs when XP had no troulbe at all.[/QUOTE]

Most likely means your XP had Nero or Nero file extensions installed to burn UDF media. A very uncommon and worthless format to use other then Nero uses it when it has no common usage or wide spread usage to begin with. UDF is a dead format that only Nero would use when there are plenty of others format that is more widely used and more common. If you want to read your UDF nero created files you will have to reinstall a newer version of Nero that runs on Windows7. But from the read are you even sure you have Windows7x64? Since we have no O/S details from you - you could be using Windows7x86 instead and thinking it is x64 when it is really x86 O/S instead. So you should go back and also check to see what version of O/S your really using as well.

Well I have Nero 11 installed and it burns UDF just fine, but then windows can’t read it. If Nero installs a UDF driver it should be present otherwise how can it write this format ?
As for questioning if I use 7x64, I don’t understand why you question it, but yes I know very well what OS I’m using.

I don’t have a solution but I’ve observed a similar problem with another type of DVD recording . I’ve always thought it was a UDF problem .
I have one DVD recorder that can be set to use -VR mode .(This is an uncommon mode that was supposed to be more flexible for editing with the standalone DVD recorder.)
This disc will open with my Vistax86 or laptop with Windows7x64 . It shows what I consider blank but does show a desktop.ini file . That file is not actually on the disc & only put there by Windows Explorer.
ISOBuster Pro can view the files on this DVD & extract them . So they are definitely there.
This is a Windows problem & for me it affects both x86 & x64 . If you find a solution please post it .
Also I have an old backup computer with XP pro & Windows 98se both of those can open & view this DVD in Windows Explorer. So this is a “newer” Windows problem.

Yes it’s very strange that UDF seems supported by XP and earlier versions of windows and this support was dropped in Vista and later versions.
The only suggestion I’ve found so far is the KB article which I mentioned, which doesn’t of course solve anything for me. So isobuster remains the only viable solution.

So what should I do when I want to write files larger that 2GB on a DVD ? Split them into parts ? :confused: Is iso+udf more compatible ? I’ve actually never used this because I’ve always though it would be the least compatible option to combine two different formats on one disk.

You have to install a UDF Reader. Probably one from Roxio. Check it out.
I stoped using UDF AGES ago…Found it a darn nuisance…

Have you tried new UDF win driver, this is the lastest afaik, ofc it goes into: windows/system32

udfs.zip (174 KB)

@ jebacina666 , IMO the newer udfs.sys is even less likely to allow a read .
The older one in XP allows the read in XP. I have even tried that one in my Vista OS & it didn’t work any better.
I didn’t try the one you posted but others can if they like.
For the OP MS has an updated version for x64 .I’m not sure how available it is as a seperate file.

[QUOTE=aiolos;2665624]I’ve burned a few UDF disks while I was using windows XP and I never had any trouble reading them. Now I’m using 7x64 and explorer shows all UDF DVDs as empty. I can burn them fine with Nero, but I can’t read them back. The only way to see the content is with IsoBuster.
…snipped[/QUOTE]

1. Interesting that you couldn’t install that hotfix.

2. Have you read this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640/en-us

3. The possible workaround (contained in 2.), if the updated udfs driver jebacina666 posted doesn’t work, is to open WMP with the disc in the drive–then try to open the disc with explorer. Some people with Win7 have posted that that worked. Apparently, WMP calls dlls that allow CDFS driver to open such discs.