Can't read the vcd from any computer

vbimport

Fact #1 ;
My friend has a family vcd, it’s a cd-r, i can play it on my home vcd player well, but neither i can play it on my computer nor copying it. I can see the the Folder & *.dat file AVSEQ01.DAT. The content has a vcd menu, which on my home player, press 1 and the movie run well, but on computer, press 1 and the vcd run only 2 second & stopped.

Fact #2 ;
It was transfered from dv by a semi-professional video editing service.
I think they put cd protection on it, so in order to have more copies, we have to contact them again.
Now that dirty service is gone, don’t know where to find it.

Fact #3 ;
I’ve tried it on 4 different computer but it didn’t work.
CloneCD can copy it, but the resulting disc can’t be play on both my home vcd player & my computer.
VSO Blind Write, Daemon Tool, IsoBuster & Nero are not working.

Fact #4 ;
I Think they have a vcd protection program & burn it on a cd-r.

How do i know the protection ?
How can i copy it ?
Thank’s,…

i suggest youll try to play it with other software windvd/powerdvd/vlc
as for burning get alcohol 120% use “video cd” profile and read at 8X if it wont go well then try it again at 4x if that wont work then try the “video cd with bad sectors” profile at same speeds , if neither of the profiles worked scan the cd with a-ray and report results http://download.copybase.ch/araysoft/Cb/Setup_ArayScanner2023.exe

Hi,

Can you extract the second track using ISOBuster ? :smiley:

Can’t read any track with IsoBuster.
But am finnish with it, i capture it with my tv tuner, connect my home vcd player to tv tuner video in.
Then smack & shattered the cd into pieces…,I’ve beat the protection with a physical abuse :bigsmile:
Just don’t have time to think of it, am too busy for that todays :smiley:

Thanks for the replies…

Great :clap: Good that the VCD didn’t have the macromedia protection :stuck_out_tongue:

My brother has one copy of the VCD, and this is what IsoBuster 1.6 see ;

Session View (session selected) ;

CD
Session

+ Track 01 2.83 MB
Track 02 357.73 MB

Expanded View ;

CD
Session 1
Track 01
ISo
CDI

CDI_IMAG.RTF
CDIITEXT.FNT
CDI_VCD.APP
CDI_VCD.CFG
EXT
LOT_X.VCD
PSD_X.VCD
SCANDATA.DAT
MPEGAV
ASVEQ01.DAT
PICTURES
SEGMENT
ITEM0001.DAT
VCD
ENTRIES.VCD
INFO.VCD
LOT.VCD
PSD.VCD
TRACK 02
TRACK 01 2.83 MB
TRACK 02 357.73 MB

I can’t copy it with Alcohol 1.4.8 (VCD & VCD Bad Sector).
I am using Asus CRW 4816A, Asus DVDRom E616 & LiteON SOHD-16P9S,
None of it working…
I Scanned it with Aray Scanner 2023, it said NO PROTECTION.
The VCD runs very well with every home vcd player i tested, but not in any computer.
I’m very curious what protection they use…

Can you extract the second track using ISOBuster ?

Not at all.

Ok, so you have (probably…) a protected VCD…
The VCD seems to look normaly - as from what you have described in the post.

1. what kind of error(information/dialog box) do you get when you try to extract the second track using IsoBuster?

2. A-Ray probably gave no protection info as it could be a homemade protection.

3. When copying with Alcohol120% what kind of info do you get from the log ?
    Are there read errors or what ?

4. Would it be possible for you to send the VCD for inspection (I would pay the transport cost ) ?

If you are able to extract (try drag and drop) the dat out of the vcd and it still plays form beginning to end with out a problem. Convert it to a mpeg and burn it with nero as a vcd and u will get a vcd wiht out the protection.

thats pointless its alredy a mpeg just with another extension

scan with these protection scanners
clonyxxl
http://get.copybase.ch/11

copy scanner
http://get.copybase.ch/110

cbscanner
http://get.copybase.ch/108

copy-discovery
http://get.copybase.ch/115

protection id
http://get.copybase.ch/71

Bescaue it is a dat the structure of it could be wrong so converting it bacck to an mpeg is to make sure the structure is correct.

the “structure” is 100% same just the extension isnt

But is La Dima able to get the dat file out? if so La Dima can just re-create a vcd with no protection on it. Unless the dat file it self is protected.

this can almost certainly be dealt with by a prog called mpeg-vcr by womble by selecting input as the dat file from cd and output as mpeg it deals with virtually anything. The fact u can read the TOC correctly suggests the cd is maybe unfinalised or something.

Well, the dat file could be protected and extraction will be hard(not possible using rigthclick/copy&paste).

Alcohol With Alcoholer 4.1 (vcd/svcd mode) says ;

###Dumping/Recording Progress Log

14:45:55 Processor info: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ (2010MHz)
14:45:55 Disc dumping: LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9S(1:1)
14:45:55 Reading Mode: RAW Mode , Fast skip error blocks
14:45:55 Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 2, Length: 360.6 MB / 041:01:34
14:45:55 Writing image file: G:\BURNER TEMP\MDS3\NEW.mdf
14:45:58 Disc read error at: 1749
14:45:59 Disc read error at: 1750
14:46:00 Disc read error at: 1751
14:46:01 Disc read error at: 1752
14:46:02 Disc read error at: 1753
14:46:03 Disc read error at: 1754
14:46:05 Disc read error at: 1755
14:46:06 Disc read error at: 1756
14:46:06 Starting Advanced Sector Scanner to scan the bad sector area.
14:51:00 Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 1749, End - 184606
14:51:20 G:\BURNER TEMP\MDS3\NEW.mds: Image file writing completed!
14:51:20 Disc dumping completed!
####################################

IsoBuster see & says ;

Track 01 | LBA 0 | Size 2.83 MB
Track 02 | LBA 1451 | Size 357.73 MB

Error Message ;
Sector 1451 couldn’t be read
Error : 03/11/00

“Omit Sector”
“Replace with all zeroes”
“Replace with dummy data”

Looks like the error is in the very first sector of track 2 (LBA 1451). i chose “replace with dummy data”, but the process was so long & no progress.
The only playable movie is the track 01 which is 2.83 MB, that is the menu of the movie.

Finally i install my old cd-rom Asus CDS500/A, i’ve never been using it for nearly 2 years, but it can extract the M2F2 Video frames with IsoBuster very slowly, still with error in the very end of the movie, but alas, the result mpeg file can only run for 4 Second! & freeze.
Asus CDS500/A with Alcohol (vcd mode) can copy the vcd but very slowly about 0.2x, still with error in the very end of the movie, and again the result unplayable on my vcd home player.

Q : If thas is a bad sector, why my vcd home player can read it very well (except the glitches & freeze in the end of the movie) ?
Q : Is it possible to protect the mpeg file itself (not the cd) so computers can’t play it (software decoder) but still can be play with true mpeg hardware decoder ?
Q : My old Asus CDS500/A can copy it at 0.2x, but what makes the result is unplayable?
Q : Was that possible that the vcd use, some freeware or shareware protection tool, like Freelock, TZCP or SafeVCD ?

The method by IzNoGoud here, looks like the protection of my VCD :eek:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=79364&highlight=Making+copy+protected+VCD

Would it be possible for you to send the VCD for inspection (I would pay the transport cost ) ?

That’s very kind of you, but i am very sorry that the vcd is not really belong to me… :slight_smile:
And i am very aware of your curiousness too about the protection… :iagree:

Thank’s

La Dima> That’s very kind of you, but i am very sorry that the vcd is notreally
La Dima> belong to me… And i am very aware of your curiousness too about
La Dima> the protection…

Well, I’m interested in creating copy protection - and I’m not hidding with that :stuck_out_tongue:

So not a problem - I’ll not cry about it :iagree:

SafeVCD - protects the VCD in a way that it is not playable (seeable) on the PC drives - so this VCD isn’t probably protected with that.

TZ - well, TZ has some functions that maybe could help in creating a protected VCDs, but copying using CloneCD would not be a problem.

The most commercial VCD protection that I have seen are not good, so probably not that also …

La Dima>If thas is a bad sector, why my vcd home player can read it very
La Dima> well (except the glitches & freeze in the end of the movie) ?

Well, DVD / VCD players have a very good tolerance due to read errors on the VCD, but while making a perfect copy bit-to-bit your PC drive tries to read all the data !

Also the VCD have some kind of protection , but man I have no idea what kind. As the VCD looks normaly. Exept the error that you have while copying.

Also a very interesting this is that you got read error from ~1700 to ~180000
as that is the movie area.

Also if you would have protected VCD with the IsNoGood method than you would have lots of additional tracks + 95 min length of the VCD, while from your post it doesn’t seem to be that way.

La Dima> Is it possible to protect the mpeg file itself (not the cd) so
La Dima> computers can’t play it (software decoder) but still can be play with
La Dima> true mpeg hardware decoder ?

Well, it should fit to the VCD specs - so in theory it should not be possible…
But I claim - never say never - as I have seen many things that where suppoused to be impossible and someone has made them real.

OK, so VCD players have a very good tolerance due to read errors on the VCD, and that means home Players ignore the slight error on the disc, which computers will read it bit by bit. In that case i wonder how they made that slight errors all over the disc. From the 41 minutes of the length, i can play it only 4 second on my computer.

Now am thinkin, were they made the protection intentionally or not. I’m searchin’ the web and found that no absolut protection for vcd, smart progs like Alcohol & CloneCD will copy it easily. Maybe i am the “luckiest” one which have a cd-r (vcd) with massive slight bits error all over the cd-r, i mean chemical defect. The OS (Windows) & PC Drive tries to reads all the data, while the home players quickly skips the error bits & continue playing the good/ readable bits.
If that so, why the drive can’t just copy the good/ readable bits and skips the error bits ?
Or maybe programs (such as IsoBuster or Alcohol) can’t skips but will replace the error bits with data which can change/ affecting the structures of the *.dat file & resulting an unplayable dat file.

Is that sounds logic ? :rolleyes:

By the way, have you people here found a disc protection that you never succeeded to copy? Was that a drive problems or softwares?
I’m sure that some drive has a better performance dealing with disc protection.
What is todays best disc protection? I mean the most terrifying one for a copier.
Thanks…

LD>OK, so VCD players have a very good tolerance due to read errors on the
LD>VCD, and that means home Players ignore the slight error on the disc, hich
LD>computers will read it bit by bit. In that case i wonder how they made hat
LD>slight errors all over the disc. From the 41 minutes of the length, i can lay
LD>it only 4 second on my computer.

Yes, that is the most interesting part of your VCD…

14:51:00 Advanced Sector Scanning finished, Bad Sector Range : Start - 1749, End - 184606

This is really oddd- as its not possible to have data(movie) in the error field…
If your movie would be located after the 184606 sector than it could be possible as you have a 300 mb movie…
But according to what you have written here the second track starts at 1450 sector so… hmmm…

Could you tell us what is the CCD file after you copy the VCD (using clonecd)?

Could you tell us what is the CCD file after you copy the VCD (using clonecd)?

On process…it takes about 4 hours to copy :doh:

Could it be possible that it was made with ccd-lock, does anyone here tried ccd-lock to protect vcd? Can you copy the protected-with-ccd-lock vcd?

Well, its a long time needed to make a copy :slight_smile:
But you don’t need to wait 4 hours. Simply start the copy process, wait 10 seconds , than abort it and after that a dialog box will apper that will ask you if you wantto delete the incomplete file. Select : no . Goto the directory where you where copying the VCD and you have the CCD file ready :slight_smile:

Well, regarding CCD-Lock - I can’t use it somehow it doesn’t like to protect VCDs CCD on my PC :frowning: