Cant read the latest DVD movies

vbimport

I have been backing up DVDs for a few years. I use a number of the later programs DVD fab 6 / Magic dvd ripper etc, usually without any problems.

Over the last two days I have found that there are some new dvds out that my computer wont even recognise. I use a Benq 41 joybook with optiarc burner in it . I think they are some form of dvd9 s but the catch is my computer wont even recognise they are in the burner. It sort of spins and keeps trying to kick in but does not get going.

Tried updating firmware for burner. Bought Nero 9 and installed it which fixed the problem with one of them but it was a dvd5 new release. The drive seems to run fine with dvd 5s and some dvd 9s but there are three now that it wont even see.

Anyone got an idea of why this is? anyone got a solution?

DVD5 or DVD9 shouldn’t make any difference at all. Either your optical drive needs a good cleaning or it’s dying. Can you watch any of the problem disks with whatever software media player you have installed? Is the problem just that you can’t rip them to your HD or can you even just explore the disk from Windows?

Well the answer to this reply is that the disc cannot even be recognised by the optical drive. I did use a cleaning disc on the drive and have tried cleaning the discs as well.

No the problem is not that I cant rip it to the hard drive. The problem is the computer does not even see it in the first place.

I did consider that the drive is on its way out but it does read dvd5 without a hitch and it did read some dvd 9s without a hitch as welll.

I have not tried actually cleaning the ‘eye’ of the optical drive with some cleaning fluid and a cotton bud.

Thank you for the reply

[QUOTE=jianakn;2499402]Well the answer to this reply is that the disc
I have not tried actually cleaning the ‘eye’ of the optical drive with some cleaning fluid and a cotton bud.

Thank you for the reply[/QUOTE]

When you say “cotton bud” if this means a [B]Q-Tip[/B], DO NOT USE IT!

Cotton [B]Q-Tips[/B] [U]and the like[/U] tend to leave fibers behind and will make things worst :eek:

To clean electronic internal components you should use something that [B]blows-out dust[/B]. Those [B]air-cans[/B] you can buy at almost any computer hardware store like [B]Fry’s Electronics[/B]. I think that [B]Office Depot[/B] also carries them.

This is also what you should use to clean dust out of your [B]CPU Heatsink[/B] and other fans.