Can't read or write to drive, very desperate, please help

vbimport

A question about my LG Blu-ray Burner Model # WH10LS30 HL-DT-ST BD-RE

This computer using Windows 7 x64 and has been using that version of Windows for multiple years, and I also have a CPU called INTEL Q9400 CPU Quad core, LGA775 socket based system if that is helpoful.

My Blu-ray Burner will no longer read discs that were previously written by the SAME burner and also will cannot burn anything to a discs, audio, video, data, nothing.

It does show in the COMPUTER list of devices as a drive. It also DOES appear in the Device Manager.

I even updated the firmware from LG’s website and it did noy help.

So, is there anyone out there that might have some tips or ideas to get this blu-ray to work again?

Or some diagnostic test?:frowning:

thanks.

You can try the Microsoft Fix-it tool for optical drives. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

I find it to be generally ineffective.

Another thing to try is to remove the upper and lower filters in the registry. Here are the instructions from Microsoft’s site:

Click Start,  type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission
     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Warning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry
 subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. 
To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, 
make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.
    If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 

Note  After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs, such as CD recording programs. 
In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If this problem occurs again, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

If you are already using ImgBurn, it is relatively easy to remove upper and lower filters from within that burning program. Just go to Tools–>Filter Driver Load Order and remove any filters you find there. Then close the program and reboot.

Another thing to try is to remove the drive in Device Manager, then reboot and let the operating system find the “new” hardware.