Cant read DVDs, report as blank

vbimport

I have a couple of DVDs, actually 11 of them to be precise, which are IMATION DVD-R 8x 4.7Gb media that where burned like 3-4 years ago, i dont actually recall which one of all i had was the burner nor the software i used, but the problem im having now is that those medias are totally unredable.

Most of the programs i tried report the media as blank, but imgBurn reports the media as “Not Empty” but still not able to read anything on it.

the more close to the data i got is this log, from imgBurn

ATAPI iHAS120   6 7L0E (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Empty
Erasable: No
Sessions: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 0
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 2.52Mbps
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

I had already tried to read the media on 3 different machines, all with the same issue, but i can be 100% sure that there are data on the disks.
My first though was that i was crazy and i “tested” burn the data instead of actual burn, but you can tell the data is there just by looking at the color of the plate…

anything else i can try/do in order to read these medias?

DVD-decrypter reports as empty media
VSO Inspector reports empty media
isoBuster reports empty media
imgBurn reports “disc not empty” but wont let me ready anything on it.

ISOBuster is the usual tool for recovering data from degraded disks. If it isn’t working, you’re probably out of luck unless you happen to find a really good dvd drive for reading data. They vary a lot in this capability.

[QUOTE=creizlein;2574114]I have a couple of DVDs, actually 11 of them to be precise, which are IMATION DVD-R 8x 4.7Gb media that where burned like 3-4 years ago, i dont actually recall which one of all i had was the burner nor the software i used, but the problem im having now is that those medias are totally unredable.[/QUOTE]

Since you don’t recall the software that was used to burn to the DVD it will be hard to know what was burned to the media itself. If you can remember the software used it might help those reading to figure what might have happened during the burn process. It sounds like it burned but didn’t properly finalize the media to be able to read correctly. Was the media burned movie or data to the DVD?? If you couldn’t see it with isobuster there a high probable chance you won’t be able to get any data back from the dvd now.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2574136]Since you don’t recall the software that was used to burn to the DVD it will be hard to know what was burned to the media itself. If you can remember the software used it might help those reading to figure what might have happened during the burn process. It sounds like it burned but didn’t properly finalize the media to be able to read correctly. Was the media burned movie or data to the DVD?? If you couldn’t see it with isobuster there a high probable chance you won’t be able to get any data back from the dvd now.[/QUOTE]

There is a 95% chances that the burn software used where Nero, as it was the burning program i was using back then, but dont ask me for the version.
These media contain data files, i believe in joilet format or so.

I had tried forcing to close the CD without success, and i cant close the session/track as no software does list the session itself.

This might sound stupid, but why there isnt any way to read the data just by blocks/sectors? something like “jump to the middle of the CD and read data there, no matter what”… i thought that was somehow possible, but seems not :frowning:

I cant believe i lost 10 dvd’s worth of data backups