Can't read DVDs anymore

Since I installed version 6, neither of my machines can red DVDs anymore. Cds read fine form the DVD/CD-read/write drive, but I can’t read DVDs any more…??? Before this I used thsese same drives without problems.

[QUOTE=shieber;2303448]Since I installed version 6, neither of my machines can red DVDs anymore. Cds read fine form the DVD/CD-read/write drive, but I can’t read DVDs any more…??? Before this I used thsese same drives without problems.[/QUOTE]

How many drives are you talking about, and when you look them up in Windows Explorer, how does that program refer to them?

P.S. A little more info about your system would help, too.

OC

:slight_smile:

Well I had a probl with an NEC drive so I swapped in a Pioneer DVD-115

Windows sees them and DVD/CD drives but can only read CD media. Coincidnce that both drives are bad?

[QUOTE=OCanada;2303482]How many drives are you talking about, and when you look them up in Windows Explorer, how does that program refer to them?

P.S. A little more info about your system would help, too.

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=shieber;2303486]Well I had a probl with an NEC drive so I swapped in a Pioneer DVD-115

Windows sees them and DVD/CD drives but can only read CD media. Coincidnce that both drives are bad?[/QUOTE]

Is it only DVDFab that sees these as CD drives, or is it all your software?

Can you post a screenshot of what Win. Explorer lists those drives as?

OC

Alas, it is all optical drive software–even Isobuster and imgburn. The drive is found but the DVD media is not recognized as valid media. Can’t post a screen shot till I get back home. If I open a windows Explorer window for the drive, it opens up showing no disk contents and at the top left it says “Write these files to CD?” the same as it would if yoy open and explorer window on any optical dirve when no disk is present. It’s as if the DVD laser isn’t lighting up.

Further swapping around with drives in the diff machiens shows the NEC drive won’t recognize any disks and the Pioneer will only recognize DVDs – this behavior is the same on both machines.

Uninstall all the burning softwares completely, then uninstall ide/atapi controller in the devicemanager too, restart.

I can try this when I get home. You mean restart with drive attached so that windows will reinstall the ide/atapi controller and the drivers for the drive?

[QUOTE=chef;2303710]Uninstall all the burning softwares completely, then uninstall ide/atapi controller in the devicemanager too, restart.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=shieber;2303723]I can try this when I get home. You mean restart with drive attached so that windows will reinstall the ide/atapi controller and the drivers for the drive?[/QUOTE]

Yup…that’s what he means. Windows will re-install the drivers for the drives on re-boot, but you’ll probably have to manually re-install the IDE controller - I don’t think Windows will do that on a simple re-boot.

OC

Got it. Thanks.
sh

Doesn’t appear to be the ide controller driver. I’ll just replace the cables and drives and if that doesn’t do the trick. . . :rolleyes:

You mentioned that you tried ImgBurn. Can you post the log file from ImgBurn?

Turnon imgburn; insert DVD & clsoe drive; wait for drive light to finally go off:

Log stillshows like this
I 16:16:30 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 16:16:30 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 16:16:30 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,600 KB - Available: 1,122,376 KB
I 16:16:30 Initialising SPTI…
I 16:16:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 16:16:31 Found 1 DVD±RW!

In the upper window, if you click on Create Image File from Disk, you get a mesaage at the bottom saying:
“Device not ready (incompatible medium installed”

But it says that for any dvds including ones burned with imgburn in this drive previously.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2304556]You mentioned that you tried ImgBurn. Can you post the log file from ImgBurn?[/QUOTE]