Can't play my DVD-Rs

vbimport

All,

I have a pretty nice surround system (for our budget), with the main player being a Pioneer DV-563A. For Chritsmas, the family got me an RCA DVD burner, model number DRC8320N. Along with it, they bought DVD+R discs, the type the salesman suggested.

Being naive, I transferred a VHS tape to a disc, only to find it won’t play in my Pioneer player. After doing some research, I discovered that there are actually different formats of discs. I read that Pioneer developed the DVD-R, and upon reading my manual, discovered that that was the only type of format that my player supported.

Armed with this, I bought a 100 pack of DVD-Rs, and recorded another tape. Lo and behold, this one doesn’t play in the Pioneer either! Now I have 10 discs of one type, 100 of the other, and none of them will work in the player connected to my system! I tried both types in my son’s PS3, and the $30 player I have in the bedroom; they BOTH work in BOTH players!

Soooooooo…what am I doing wrong? I know the Pioneer isn’t the newest, or the most expensive model, but according to what I read, the discs should work.

I don’t want to have to watch our home recordings in our bedroom…

Greg

1. Try using better quality media - anything the salesmen recmmend is generally that with the largest margin :wink:

2. DVD+R has support for booktyping, which will fool most dvd players into thinking they are commercial pressed DVD’s. That pioneer DOES play commercial pressed DVD’s right?

3. Hopefully someone can tell you what the model burner you’ve actually got. RCA have rebadged someone elses drive.

If you can run the nero infotool, and copy/paste the info here (between code tags) so we can see what you’ve actually got.

Very good advise.

It’s likely that you need to finalise the disks on the RCA burner. Finalising makes the discs readable in other devices & often is not the default setting.

Some players can cope with un-finalised disks but others can’t.

Tim,

I have made sure that I finalized both the + and - disks before removing them from the recorder, so that isn’t an issue.

Debro,

My particular Pioneer player does play “commercial” DVDs. It also supports CDs, MP3s, CD-R/W, SACD, etc. It’s versatility was one of the reasons I bought it.

As for the better quality media, I believe the 100 pack I bought was from Costco. I’ll check when I get home, but I think they were Memorex. Being a newbie, I don’t know what the nero infotool is, but I’ll figure out what you’re asking for and try to post the code after I get home tonight.

From what I’m gathering here so far, nothing stands out as a glaring problem or oversight…

Greg

All,

Well, doing a little bit of surfing here, pretty much all the reviews I am reading about this machine have been negative. Seems that there’s lots of problems with it… :sad:

Not really much I can do now (maybe), as it’s been well over a month, and I’m not sure about receipts as it was a gift from the missus.

I’m not sure about how to do this “nero infotool”. What is “between the code tags”? I’m confused…

If it is Memorex you’re using that could be a problem as these are generally poor & variable quality.

What’s the best quality to try? I can go get a single disc and give it one more shot before throwing in the towel and starting over.

I talked to my wife, and she has no problems with me returning it, although I no longer have the box. It was bought at Target, and she still has the receipt. If I go that route, what’s a good unit to replace it with? And I still don’t know that the “nero infotool” is…

Here is a thought; Will your RCA recorder plug into your surond sound system? If so use it to play your recorded DVD’s until you learn how to change the format. While you are learning get yourself some Verbatim DVD-RW media to use. This way you won’t be wasting disks. It’ll save you some money and its better media.

Hi
At what speed did you record the DVD-R? If you did record to HDD and afterwards to the DVD-R make sure you do it at the lowest speed, don’t use fast speed.
Your Pioneer may have compatibility problems with the particular series of discs you bought, for instance if they are the kind of fast speed discs (up to 16x).
Sometimes devices like yours and some Sonys are quite picky about the discs and even about copyrights. Even without that, the PSP and the computer drives can read discs that some home recorders can’t.
Check the video format you are recording with the RCA, if it is DVD-VR (that it is nice for later editing) it may be the reason your Pioneer can’t read it.
DVD-VR is the format of the recording and DVD-R is the format of the media.
Using DVD+R certain home recorder can also record in DVD+VR
Check in you PC and if the video files under the folder video_TS are .VRO extension instead of .VOB it means your recording format is DVD-VR.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html