Can't play foreign DVD copy even with AnyDVD

vbimport

Hi, have Enchanted April DVD, which is only available in non-US regions. I bought it hoping it would play on players or that a copy would. Have used DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, and AnyDVD (and others) to make copies. Original DVD and copies of DVD play on my computer, but get error message “incorrect disc” on all players with all copies. DVDShrink does not ask what region it is. Here is info from AnyDVD:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.6.2)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2195243 sectors (4287 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DEFAULTPAL_SCN
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Any suggestions most appreciated, TIA. km2

your problem is not the region. by creting a backup you’ve made a region free copy.

the video format is PAL and your system is NTSC if you’re in the US.

the solution: purchase a multi-format dvd player or convert PAL to NTSC. I’ve never used it myself, but I know that DVD Santa is capable of this conversion however the results of any format transfer are never really guaranteed and may include jerkiness. you will not be able to preserve menus and subtitles either.

some peopel report no problems with conversion software, others say the result is nearly unwatchable which is why purchasing a multiformat standalone device is the first suggest (but obviously not economical if you’ve only got like 1 movie with a different format.

They both have to be multi format (TV andDVD player) I have tried this out on mine. I set the TV to PAL the DVD to NTSC and vice versa and it was unwatchable. Put them both on auto and everything is fine.

I see, thank you both! km2

well here in the usa the (standalone) dvd players and tv’s don’t have a switch for pal/ntsc. the dvd player just convert the format pal to ntsc to play on the tv’s.

Ah but we don’t know where km is though.

i assume us since they said the disc they bought is only available in non-US regions and they were just hoping it would play on their system…

also, i’m keeping my mouth shut on whether or not NTSC devices can also play PAL since everytime i mention that multiformat devices aren’t readily available here someone gets all pissed off haha.

It still stands that you PAL people have it easy in terms of media flexibility

Sorry I missed that bit.

True I don’t think there is a format mine won’t play, it even has one beginning with an S in the list.

SECAM?

weird haha

Yes but come media prices , special offers, rebates etc you’ve got it easy.

With the money you can save on these you could buy a DVD player that’s capable of auto switching between PAL & NTSC.

newegg has a really cheap one for $30.00

haha did you see the reviews on that? I guess it does prove the point that it’s the pieces of junk that are the most compatible with a variety of formats though.

I’m not rich, but I usually at least try to buy middle of the road stuff in terms of quality and reputation. I’d probably be able to find a PAL/NTSC player that’s up to my specs if I looked hard enough, but my point is only that they’re not easy to come by. you can’t walk into an electronics store and say “hey, what do you have for multiformat standalone dvd palyers in a middle price range”

That’s the one!! I knew I would remember it when I saw it. I have no idea where it comes from but it’s in the list for the DVD player and TV.

My friend got one for £15 (roughly $30) and it has yet to refuse a disc (except for +R or bitset) even ones my Philips refuses to play work on it, and I am talking ones that ued to work and don’t anymore (G05).

yep it’s weird that a cheap dvd player can play anything and a expensive one ($2500.00 that i received for christmas) won’t play anything but a pressed dvd. but it does everything else audio wise. so with that said guess which one i use most…the cheap one…lol

Hi, reasonsnotrules, I’ve never had much luck figuring out how to use dvdsanta; it’s been working on Enchanted April for hours now, changing from screen to screen with new times till that particular whatever is done; do you think it’s really doing something or…? TIA for any info. I’m in the U.S., looked over my players and didn’t find a way to switch formats. TIA all, km2

Some players have a format setup in the setup menu in the US. Don’t give up yet.

There is not only SECAM, but some weird subformats too.
check it out, pal. :wink:

It’s actually been a while since I went into set up as auto works, but I will have to see what else is in it’s list.

km, there is no switch, it is in the set up menu if the option exists at all on your equiptment. It should say so in the manul, if not you will have to go through all the options, as it is not obvious on all players where the option is.