Can't open my NEC-2500A Drive!?!?!?

vbimport

Hello guys, this is my 1st post, I’ve been reading the posts on the NEC Forum for a while now, and all I can say is that you guys are so AWESOME!!! :wink: :iagree: :bow: :cool: :bigsmile:

Anyways, it seems that I can’t open my NEC-2500A even though I took out the 6 screws on the metal panel. I’m trying to clean the lens because SUDDENLY, the burner stopped reading ANYTHING. But then again, it could’ve been the fact the the my neighborhood’s lights went out after the thunder storm, and I did have my computer on at that time, but I wasn’t burning anything though. Back to the point though, when I try to remove the top to see the lens, the top will sorta bulge, but it won’t go the full distance. It seems like something I can’t see (probably from the inside) is holding something which causes the top to not come off!!!

:frowning: :sad: :eek: :rolleyes: :a

warantee sticker over screw ?

The “big” sticker is on the top.

Did you eject the tray and then remove the bezel?

guitarshredder,

If you bought your drive less than a year ago you could have probably gotten a free replacement under warranty. Opening the case voids the warranty.

From the failure circumstances you have described, it is very unlikely that the problem has anything to do with lens cleaning. It is much more likely to be damage from an electrical surge, which probably would have been covered by warranty before the case was removed.

Inertia, can you explain this better, I’m pretty confused on what you’re saying. Oh yeah, I got this thing like 8-9 months ago.

???

I’m not sure what you want explained.

Practically all DVD burners come with at least a one year warranty. If you saved your dated proof of purchase, contact the vendor or manufacturer of the drive for a RMA (returned material authorization) number in order to return the drive for replacement.

That is, if there is no evidence of the case being opened by the user. Normally, this automatically voids the warranty. If the case is opened, any malfunction could have caused by an inexperienced user damaging the product.

Inertia, how would they know if I opened the drive or not??? Also, how or where can I find the proof of purchase??? BTW, I ordered this item from eBay, and I believe that I still have my receipt somewhere…

reread your warranty power surge is not a manufacturer’s defect and not covered by warranty

Usually there is a sticker over the edge of the case that will be broken if the case is opened. It is put there to prevent tampering.

The NEC Optical Drive Support site doesn’t show the model 2500 drive, even as an OEM model. I’m not sure why, as their OEM NEC 2500 drives have been sold in the U.S… The later retail model 3500 can be returned to NEC.

All NEC 2500 drives sold in the U.S. were sold as OEM models. This means that the seller is responsible for the warranty. Warranties, if they exist, are usually only to the original purchaser. If you bought it through eBay, you probably got no warranty at all. If you had bought the drive from a reputable OEM vendor such as NewEgg, you could return the drive hassle-free for a replacement.

You could try contacting NEC support and giving them a hard luck story. If you’re lucky, maybe they’ll feel sorry for you and replace the drive if you can produce the original receipt.

Have you reread your warranty? I have read my warranty on the NEC 2500 purchased from NewEgg. The only disqualification stated in the warranty terms is “physical damage”. See Newegg.com Warranty.

Physical damage includes but is not limited to improper handling and/or any other type of damage sustained by irregular usage.
It mentions neither power surges or manufacturer’s defects. If you think you know for a fact what caused a drive to fail and feel obliged to offer a self-defeating amateur diagnosis of an unknown cause of failure, that’s your option. In my opinion if no user negligence is involved, it is worth applying for warranty coverage if it is available. The warrantor can provide disqualification without a user disqualifying himself.

My own experience is that most reputable vendors or manufacturers won’t futz or split hairs over warranty terms, but will simply make a replacement unless there is direct evidence of user mishandling or negligence.

bump