Can't install XP Pro SP3

vbimport

I have a computer with an ASRock Pi945GC motherboard. I had loaded W7 to see if it would run on the computer, but it wouldn’t. I then loaded Vista and it wouldn’t run either.

So, I am now trying to reload XP on the computer but, during Windows setup, I get to the screen where there are two choices, quick format and regular format, nothing happens. Last night I left the computer on this screen for over and hour and the progress bar was still grayed out and it was at 0%. I had selected quick format. Then I tried the normal format and same thing. I have tried an XP ISO I downloaded and burned to a DVD, and a XP disk I bought years ago. I have used both and they have always worked. I have a new 500 GB Western Digital HD connected to the computer with 1 GB RAM.

I am not a computer geek, but am far from a newbie. This is the first time something like this has happened when I was trying to fresh install an OS. Since W7 and Vista won’t run on this board the customer wants XP reinstalled.

Thanks.

Hi again… There is no reason that motherboard should not run Windows 7 as the overview says: OS - Microsoft® Windows® 7 / Vistaâ„¢ / XP / 2000 compliant but with only 1 GB ram, I would stick with XP. More info on that here.

Do you have a possibillity to attach that hard-disk to another PC either by using USB or internally and check to make sure it is not the disk itself that is the problem? I note you say the hard disk is new, but it can go bad even if new these days.

A quick format should only take a few seconds and so it seems as though it is something wrong with the disk, cable or connector (both ends).

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769451]Hi again… There is no reason that motherboard should not run Windows 7 as the overview says: OS - Microsoft® Windows® 7 / Vistaâ„¢ / XP / 2000 compliant but with only 1 GB ram, I would stick with XP. More info on that here.

Do you have a possibillity to attach that hard-disk to another PC either by using USB or internally and check to make sure it is not the disk itself that is the problem? I note you say the hard disk is new, but it can go bad even if new these days.

A quick format should only take a few seconds and so it seems as though it is something wrong with the disk, cable or connector (both ends).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Don’t think it is anything you mentioned as I used the same board, HD and DVD drive to install Windows 8 and it installed perfectly. Don’t know, but the XP won’t reinstall.

Sorry, boo boo in last post. I had switched boards to test the board. I test boards to see how they run with different OS’s and the Pi946GC would not run W7 and Vista. When I first installed either OS the computer operated very well, but as more and more updates were added the computer would slow significantly until when all the updates were finally loaded, for either OS, the computer would be so slow that when I would try to open IE I would just have to sit until IE opened. Then opening a webpage was extremely slow also. Thanks.

Whatever happens usually happens suddenly, but if that is the case try this:
Start the computer and enter BIOS (usually you hit either [F1] [F2] [ESC] or [DEL] on the black screen before the OS loads to get there)
Set your hard-drive to IDE mode, save the settings and restart, boot from the CD and then try to reinstall Windows XP.
I do not know where in the BIOS this setting is found for your board, but there are usually two or three choices: IDE, AHCI or RAID. move along the settings and see if you can find it.

I am a little vague as in most scenarios, Windows XP will not even see the disk if it is set to the wrong mode in BIOS, but it is worth a shot. Another thing, if you have swapped disk from IDE to SATA during this, may be to check boot device in the BIOS settings and if there is a setting for IDE or SATA as the main boot device for hard drives. In this respect it must be emphasized that I am not talking about boot order which usually lists CD/DVD first.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2769472]Sorry, boo boo in last post. I had switched boards to test the board. I test boards to see how they run with different OS’s and the Pi946GC would not run W7 and Vista. When I first installed either OS the computer operated very well, but as more and more updates were added the computer would slow significantly until when all the updates were finally loaded, for either OS, the computer would be so slow that when I would try to open IE I would just have to sit until IE opened. Then opening a webpage was extremely slow also. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Did not notice this post from you yesterday. I think that the reason for the above is too little RAM. 1GB is not enough for proper operation of Windows 7 or Vista over time. I also think that a P4 which even if HyperThreading is a monocore processor and better suited for Windows XP than Vista and 7. It would of course help to bring the RAM up to 4GB, but I think it would still lag.

Oh, another information to clarify the settings in the BIOS. The IDE setting is sometimes referred to as ‘Compatibility’ instead of IDE. I am as I mention a little uncertain as to this being the case as the disk would normally not show up in the Windows XP setup at all. I came to think of one thing though as you mention Windows 8…

It may come down to while installing Windows 8, the disk was changed to GPT (GUID Partition Table) instead of MBR (Master Boot Record) which XP expects.
If that is the case, You should try to use a boot disc/USB if you have access to one, or insert the disc into another computer and change the disk type from GPT to MBR.
the following is an example screenshot just for the illustration:

As you can see, the disk here is MBR, and I snapped the menu as well to show you that there is a choice to convert it to GPT. This choice will be MBR if the disk is GPT.

One program supporting this is the freeware Active@Partition Manager.

I know the above may be a tad advanced and if anything is unclear, just get back to me and I’ll try to explain it better :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769479]Did not notice this post from you yesterday. I think that the reason for the above is too little RAM. 1GB is not enough for proper operation of Windows 7 or Vista over time. I also think that a P4 which even if HyperThreading is a monocore processor and better suited for Windows XP than Vista and 7. It would of course help to bring the RAM up to 4GB, but I think it would still lag.

Oh, another information to clarify the settings in the BIOS. The IDE setting is sometimes referred to as ‘Compatibility’ instead of IDE. I am as I mention a little uncertain as to this being the case as the disk would normally not show up in the Windows XP setup at all. I came to think of one thing though as you mention Windows 8…

It may come down to while installing Windows 8, the disk was changed to GPT (GUID Partition Table) instead of MBR (Master Boot Record) which XP expects.
If that is the case, You should try to use a boot disc/USB if you have access to one, or insert the disc into another computer and change the disk type from GPT to MBR.

As you can see, the disk here is MBR, and I snapped the menu as well to show you that there is a choice to convert it to GPT. This choice will be MBR if the disk is GPT.

I know the above may be a tad advanced and if anything is unclear, just get back to me and I’ll try to explain it better :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Xercus, and sorry for the late reply. It might be several days before I can get back to the Pi945GC board as I am testing four boards at the present. As soon as that is finished I will try your solution and see what happens. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769474]Whatever happens usually happens suddenly, but if that is the case try this:
Start the computer and enter BIOS (usually you hit either [F1] [F2] [ESC] or [DEL] on the black screen before the OS loads to get there)
Set your hard-drive to IDE mode, save the settings and restart, boot from the CD and then try to reinstall Windows XP.
I do not know where in the BIOS this setting is found for your board, but there are usually two or three choices: IDE, AHCI or RAID. move along the settings and see if you can find it.

I am a little vague as in most scenarios, Windows XP will not even see the disk if it is set to the wrong mode in BIOS, but it is worth a shot. Another thing, if you have swapped disk from IDE to SATA during this, may be to check boot device in the BIOS settings and if there is a setting for IDE or SATA as the main boot device for hard drives. In this respect it must be emphasized that I am not talking about boot order which usually lists CD/DVD first.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, been busy. I can’t find anything in the BIOS that evens looks like IDE, AHCI or RAID, and I went everything in BIOS step by step. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769479]Did not notice this post from you yesterday. I think that the reason for the above is too little RAM. 1GB is not enough for proper operation of Windows 7 or Vista over time. I also think that a P4 which even if HyperThreading is a monocore processor and better suited for Windows XP than Vista and 7. It would of course help to bring the RAM up to 4GB, but I think it would still lag.

I know the above may be a tad advanced and if anything is unclear, just get back to me and I’ll try to explain it better :flower:[/QUOTE]

Nope, not compatibility listing either. And I didn’t try to install W8 only Vista and W7. Thanks.

[I]Did not notice this post from you yesterday. I think that the reason for the above is too little RAM. 1GB is not enough for proper operation of Windows 7 or Vista over time. I also think that a P4 which even if HyperThreading is a monocore processor and better suited for Windows XP than Vista and 7. It would of course help to bring the RAM up to 4GB,[/I]

Thanks Xercus, you posted this five days ago and I was thunderstruck today. I have been testing with 1GB RAM. I have a computer that I was trying to install W7 Home Premium on and it was slow. When what you said here hit me I installed 2 GB RAM and now the computer is working well. Computer 101.

But all the years I was a mechanic I made the same “stupid” mistake and when I realized my wrong thinking the fix was easy. Thanks. Sometimes the ole brain just doesn’t work correctly.

Glad it sorted out… for a 32 bit Windows, I think that Windows 7 will only report about 3GB usable memory even if you have 4GB (the maximum amount of memory the board supports). For a 64 bit Windows 7, I would advice you to raise it from 2GB to 4GB of RAM as it will benefit longer periods of work at the computer with fewer slowdowns caused by Windows accessing the swapfile. Even then you may find that you need to restart one or more times during a day’s work depending on what programs you run.

Personally I have 8GB in my day to day laptop and this is enough to not having to restart the computer (Windows 10) at all when used normally. It should be noted that a client operating system should be restarted from time to time though :slight_smile: