Can't install Nero 7 Essentials

vbimport

I just got Nero 7 Essentials CD bundled with my new LiteOn DVD writer. I’m on windows XP Pro. Writer is installed with no problem.
After inserting the CD and clicking on ‘install Nero Essentials’ I get the main setup window, and also this stupid newsletter page appearing in the background which doesn’t send anything to my email even though I registered twice.
But more importantly, after I click the ’ Nero 7 Essentials ’ button, it shows a loading bar for a second, disappears and nothing else happens, no matter how long I wait. If I press that button again OR click ‘Exit’ I just get the ‘Setup’ message popping up that you can see in my screenshot. Then, in order to completely exit everything, I have to ctrl, alt, delete. :rolleyes:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/merlin.five/ScreenShot438.jpg

Do I need to download Nero 7 from the net? Because this CD seems a bit fecked.

I do have an old Nero 6 ultra edition software, but I don’t think that burns DVD, just CD’s, right?

Nero conflicts with older versions of itself. Go to nero.com and download the clean tool for nero 6. It’s in their support> downloads section. That will usually fix what you are running into. If you need further instructions just let me know.

Hi,[quote=Roman5;2062054]
I do have an old Nero 6 ultra edition software, but I don’t think that burns DVD, just CD’s, right?[/quote]Then use that. Of course, you can burn DVD with Nero 6 :iagree: and it is less bloated than Nero 7.
You might get the latest Nero 6 update from nero website, though.

Michael

Thanks neotype and mciahel. So, it looks like I should not bother with nero 7. Heh, I just loaded nero 6, and silly me, I hadn’t changed the tab on burning rom/new compilation from CD to DVD! Now I can see that it does do DVD. :bow:

You say nero 7 is bloated, so I don’t want bloated of course. Out of interest, is the interface different/more interesting from nero 6 or much the same? Are there any other things in nero 7 that might be useful which I haven’t already got with Nero StartSmart, Ultra Edition and Toolkit?

Not missing out on much, different video options and such, but the interface and function is basically the same as nero 6.

Hey guys, I decided to try out nero 7 for the hell of it. I downloaded clean tools, cleaned off nero 6 and rebooted. Trying to install nero 7 and have the same problem. Nothing is happening.:sad:

Try disconnecting the DVD-ROM and uninstall any virtual drive software you may be using. Must be a problem with your setup somewhere.

I have a dozen virtual drives running. I’m not about to unmount all those AND uninstall Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools just for the sake of Nero. Besides, I have no problem installing nero 6, so there must be something wrong with the nero 7 CD.

Unfortunately, those are also the reason you couldn’t read RW’s. We see it every day here, virtual drive software will compromise Windows.

I’m sure you’re right. Mind you, my new LiteOn burner is reading DVD RW’s with no problem. I’ll just reinstall nero 6 and be done with it.

[B]SUCCESS! Nero 7 installed :iagree:[/B]

It was my stupid firewall. :a

I recently uninstalled comodo firewall, the supposedly best free firewall. I had quite a lot of program errors with comodo, and now they work fine. There were no alerts from comodo when trying to install nero, so I had no chance of even knowing. I’ve installed Sygate firewall now.

Nice catch, but still Cressida is giving you good advice as long as you have all those vitual drives runing you should expect problem of this nature.

Maybe, maybe not. The solution here was the firewall, it had nothing to do with virtual drives and I’ve never encountered any problems burning discs with nero before while having virtual drives mounted. Maybe when someone else posts a similar problem, you can now suggest to them to look into their firewall as another possible solution. Because its not something that was suggested here. I found out only because I decided I wanted a firewall change.

[QUOTE=Roman5;2071861]Maybe, maybe not. The solution here was the firewall, it had nothing to do with virtual drives and I’ve never encountered any problems burning discs with nero before while having virtual drives mounted. Maybe when someone else posts a similar problem, you can now suggest to them to look into their firewall as another possible solution. Because its not something that was suggested here. I found out only because I decided I wanted a firewall change.[/QUOTE]

Then I you are happy with your own solution found then good for you and that is all matter. Good luck.