Can't hit 16x

vbimport

I just got some TYG02 DVD-R’s today and wated to burn some @ 16x. Here’s what I got, and it wasn’t 16x…

I 17:44:02 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
I 17:44:02 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
I 17:46:25 Source File Sectors: 2,096,640 (MODE1/2048)
I 17:46:25 Source File Size: 4,293,918,720 bytes
I 17:46:25 Destination Device: [3:0:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1620 B7T9 (H:) (ATAPI)
I 17:46:25 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: TYG02) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
I 17:46:25 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496
I 17:46:25 Write Mode: DVD
I 17:46:25 Write Speed: 16x
I 17:52:46 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:06:20
I 17:52:46 Average Write Rate: 11,333 KB/s (8.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 20,591 KB/s (14.9x)

I burned that one from my Seagate 18GB 15K SCSI drive.

The scan was good.

Then I burned another one from a Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MB.

The scan was also good, it was the best one I ever burned actually.

I burned it with Nero 6 and it took about 11 minutes!

My PC is a Compaq SP750 workstation. Dual PIII Xeon 933MHz, 512MB RDRAM and builtin SCSI Ultra Wide controller. Could it be my PC’s performance, or lack thereof that prevents me from reaching 16x?

Well you got up to 15x. With the OPC it’s going ot slow down with media that needs to write slower. Rumour is the next firmware will let you disable OPC so you have a btter chance of getting below 6 mins.

So you’re saying it could be anything related to my burner, the media or the firmware? It’s not my PC’s specs?

I’ve got the same problem with my 1620 in an external firewire case. The burst rate it 24MB/s for the drive. My HD is UDMA-5 and is not the problem. I am starting to think it’s WinXP/SP2 that’s the problem…

BokaSW, you can’t hit 16x because the file size is only 4,293,918,720 bytes (=4,083MB=3,98GB)!! I think your drive and system are normal.

If you want to make sure, download Nero CD Speed and create data disk (press F9) to burn a full ±4,700,000,000 bytes or 4,38GB and show us the graph.

That means wasting a blank DVD for the test right?

Unfortunately yes. But you want to know if you can hit 16x right?

You can also “shrink” a movie to 4475MB with Nero (save as *.nrg) and burn it with NeroCDSpeed so you can see the actual write speed graph.

I guess I can waste a good TYG02 in the name of science. Just got a 100 pack today from rima thankfully. It’s the only media I have here that supports 16x.

In the name of science, you see that you can hit 16x. If you want to be able to sleep well, I would suggest you waste 1 or 2 more media. This is to see if that particular TYG02 is bad. I wasted almost 10 TYG02 with Nero create data disk (just for fun) and only got 1 coaster so far. Most of them resulted with above 90% quality score.

Pick a random disk from your spindle. If the second scan is a coaster again, then you might want to try burning the TYG02 @12x and see what happens. If the 2nd scan is good, I wouldn’t worry to burn those TYG02 at max speed for daily use.

The burn time for a full DVD-5 disc is around 6 min for 16X. I would use the Seagate for testing. That said, you have a 933 MHz processor. Unless your system is in top condition, you may have difficulty reaching 16X speed due to the load on the CPU. Start Task Manager and keep an eye on the CPU usage. It will go up with speed. You really don’t want to see it past 90%. When the CPU tops out, the hard drive will slow down. To avoid buffer underrun, the burn speed will also drop.

Per the previous post, you should use CD SPEED to create a data disc and post the graph here.

I have two 933MHz processors, and they rarely reach 100% usage. And what do you mean by “use CD SPEED to create a data disc and post the graph here.”?

Here’s another disc from the same spindle, at random. I started the test but forgot I had defrag running on the Maxtor(has the most free space avail)…it looks like d-o-o d-o-o, but the scan is good. What gives?

welll…seens to have some driver conflict…

see here…this is one of my drives installed in a new test system…and i was on and off getting burns like yours…similar?? in the end i reinstalled the whole OS and problem solved…

I see reading spikes after the 4 GB mark…common problem with those “newer” BenQ drives. Checkout recent posts in this forum.

Since your CPU load is approaching 100% at higher burn speed, there is a possibility that you system can barely keep up with the system load at 16X. If you have Nero, then use it to burn a full DVD. Set the Nero ULTRA BUFFER to 80 MB. Watch the NERO ULTRA BUFFER during the burn. To obtain a stable burn at 16X, the UTRA BUFFER should stay above 80% throughout the burn.

Your TYG02 are genuine and not faked ?.

furballi is right … 933 MHz may be too slow. That you have 2 of them does not double speed with tasks you cannot do in parallel - and many cannot, besides compiling or photoshop or whatever. And IDE accesses may even be less efficient than for one cpu as the drivers/os have to take care of parallel accesses being serialized.

I can tell you about my system: I have an XP1600+ running at 1400 MHz normally and it is able to write 16x - with a CPU load close to 100% and having everything unnecessary disabled in services.msc !

To write @16x without any speed drops like the ones you mention, I better overclock by about 10%.

You should do the Nero CD/DVD Speeds Burst Rate test to find out whether it is a driver issue and the CPU Usage Test which will output %ages for 1x - 8x speed. Double 8x usage for 16x writing - its not exact but gives you a reasonable value which should be no higher than about 90% if you want no speed breakdowns.

Look at the PCs the guys in the Hall of Fame thread write with - P4 3.2 GHz, AMD 64 3000+ and so on. For a task like this, you cannot say 2x933=1866, but should more calculate = 933 MHz * (100% - SMPoverhead). I would rate SMP overhead with at least 5%, but I think 10-15% would be more realistic in Win…

I have a 600 MHz PIII…not that far behind the 933 MHz (double CPU speed = 20% gain in system performance). I can burn reliably up to 14X. The system is tweaked to the max with the bare minimum items loaded at startup (61 MB memory load after reboot).

He bought from rima, should be real tyg02.

And your burn write transfer rate shows no speeddowns? Would be nice if you showed a graph. Or do you always prepare an Image you burn to DVD then?

Not to forget the ineffectiveness of Dual CPU systems when only one cpu is really used … this costs maybe even more than 20%.

EDIT:
“Double cpu clock = +20%” is bullshit. This is valid for system overall including your hdds and so on, but not for cpu intensive tasks or things requiring more cpu interaction (like task changes). For Nero CD/DVD Speed, raising FSB by 10% brings CPU Usage @8x from 46% to 42%, so this is nearly linearly attached to CPU clock rate.

BokaSW, your system is up to the speed. In fact, my retail BenQ box says minimum system requirement is PIII 550Mhz and my OEM IO Magic says PIII 800Mhz. Your post#8 shows that you can burn @16x. On the other hand, your post#11 shows ugly drops, I think there is something wrong with the harddrive. HD-Tune proves that too, a min transfer rate of 1.9mb/s in your maxtor. You need to defrag and check for spywares etc (I use Spybot S&D and Ad-aware, defrag with Diskkeeper).

Can you run burst rate test in Nero (press F6)? Normal rate should be 22-24mb/s.

Let us know how it goes.