Can't get promised speed (hp 640b aka LG GWA 4162B)

Hello,

When i’m trying to burn a DVD, all burning software won’t let me pick a higher speed than 4x.
Even when i pick 4x, i’m pretty sure it’s effectively more like 1x.
I’m sure my discs support 16x (Nashua). That is the speed I would like to have.

I got an OEM burner (hp 640b aka LG GWA 4162B). I’ve got the most recent firmware (E223)

What i did try already :

• Defragmentation
  • Checking UDMA (it’s UDMA2)
  • Letting Windows recognize the writer as new hardware
  • Switched to another media

My computer is a pre-fab, so i assume the correct chipset driver was in the image.

Specs :

Amd 64 X2 4200+
x300 SE
1024 MB RAM
MSI MS-7093 mobo

This might be a tough one, but i’m confident you’ll find a solution :slight_smile:

Greets

Probably that disc is not a 16x certified media or even the most updated firmware is not able to burn that specific disc at 16x.

Can you run ImgBurn and see more detailed information on that disc (see picture as example)?

[quote=geno888;1950165]Probably that disc is not a 16x certified media or even the most updated firmware is not able to burn that specific disc at 16x.

Can you run ImgBurn and see more detailed information on that disc (see picture as example)?[/quote]

Here it is :

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2.295.104
Free Space: 4.700.372.992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: FTI-016-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm

So not higher than 4 speed. weird. Maybe you could look for the official supported speed for this type?

*edit

Inserted a disc that supports certified 6x, and still only 2x and 4x is showed.

Indeed this seems a certified 16x disc (see here).

Probably the quality of this media is so ugly that firmware developers limited max burning @4x or, alternatively, your drive is not more supported and there is no an updated firmware able to burn this disc faster than 4x.

[QUOTE=gwx;1950172]Here it is :

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2.295.104
Free Space: 4.700.372.992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: FTI-016-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm

So not higher than 4 speed. weird. Maybe you could look for the official supported speed for this type?

*edit

Inserted a disc that supports certified 6x, and still only 2x and 4x is showed.[/QUOTE]

Actually I believe the 2.4 , 4x is the discs capability to write that fast.

[quote=geno888;1950180]Indeed this seems a certified 16x disc (see here).

Probably the quality of this media is so ugly that firmware developers limited max burning @4x or, alternatively, your drive is not more supported and there is no an updated firmware able to burn this disc faster than 4x.[/quote]

Allright, but when i try to burn at MAX speed, I assume every burning program will burn at 4x. But when i tried ImgBurn, it was even below 1x (Fully dvd took 1h and 15min).
When i tried Nero, it was even worse, a fully loaded dvd took more than 2 hours.
Any suggestions to take a look at?

*edit

Funny how both of the people commenting the disc , burn at 4x. Dr Who. might be right.

I’m not sure that is the real cause, but it’s worth a try :slight_smile:

Check if DMA is enabled (see link in my signature)

[quote=geno888;1950212]I’m not sure that is the real cause, but it’s worth a try :slight_smile:

Check if DMA is enabled (see link in my signature)[/quote]

I went to my device manager and I saw one device at PIO, but i’m not sure if this is my dvd writer.
I got 2 SATA harddisks installed, a dvd ROM, and a dvd writer. How can i be sure that i’m selecting my dvd writer in the devicemanager? I don’t want to delete my O.S. IDE channel by accident?

The writing speed which I have while burning (no matter which speed I select is 0.7, rarely goes above 1.040k)

Hi,

This MID (FTI-016-00) is absolutely unknown to the firmware of that drive. So the disc is written with a generic default strategy which is limited to max 4x.

There are only a few MIDs that are supported @16x max by this drive and firmware. The safest bet is Verbatim MCC004.

Michael

If you delete IDE channels, after a reboot windows will install again necessary drivers, so this is not a big issue. BTW, to know how your drives are connected you can use nero InfoTool. It gives you all information on your system :slight_smile:

To burn a disc @4x requires about 15 minutes, so there is some problem somewhere.

[quote=mciahel;1950249]Hi,

This MID (FTI-016-00) is absolutely unknown to the firmware of that drive. So the disc is written with a generic default strategy which is limited to max 4x.

There are only a few MIDs that are supported @16x max by this drive and firmware. The safest bet is Verbatim MCC004.

Michael[/quote]

Thank you for checking.

@ Geno888

Ok thx. It never should be PIO shouldn’t it ? It should be UDMA2 right???

[QUOTE=gwx;1950321]
Ok thx. It never should be PIO shouldn’t it ? It should be UDMA2 right???[/QUOTE]:iagree: It should be UDMA2. :iagree:

Yes, DMA is the needed mode to burn DVDs.

:doh: too slow :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=geno888;1950327]Yes, DMA is the needed mode to burn DVDs.

:doh: too slow :p[/quote]
I’ll provide you with some screenies :-)).

As you can see no UDMA is selected ://

You see this device got PIO on, i suspect this is the one. huidige means current

This is the device i’m talking about.

But WHERE can i change the PIO to UDMA ??!! Even if I pick UDMA it will still say “current transfermode” PIO.

Hope things are more clear now!!

Hi,

have a look at this article please: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Michael

Allright, a little fooling arround did the trick. Now my speed is above 0.7, it’s a stable 4x.
Thank you all for your help! I’m positively surprised by your expertise. Hope this thread will be helpfull to other people in the future.

:slight_smile: Thanks