Can't get Pioneer DVR-1910LS to read DVDs

I apologize in advance if this has been answered already, but I did a search and couldn’t find anything. I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-1910LS. Much to my surprise, it burned my first DVD just fine (a data dvd backup of some photo files).

For some reason, when I went to look at the DVD using My Computer, it doesn’t see the DVD in there. It sees it as a blank CD. If I take the DVD and put it in another computer, it reads it just fine and shows the specified files were successfully backed up.

I tried putting in a regular movie dvd, and I couldn’t get it to read that either.This time it tells me to insert a disc into the drive even though there’s one in there.

FYI, I’m running Windows XP and using Nero 8 Essentials.

What do I need to do to get it to recognize DVDs? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

@ macbeb,

Welcome to the Forum.

Suggest reviewing the CD Freaks CD And DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “Troubleshooting: My optical drive doesn’t recognize discs” ->

(http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/)

Regards,
bjkg