Can't get out of PIO mode

I have a Plextor PX-716A burner. I can’t change the PIO mode in Device manager. It says enable UDMA mode if possible which has always worked until now. It is stuck on PIO mode which makes all buring slow as also slowing the computer to a crawl. In the BIOS, all checks out as normal. I need UDMA mode badly, please help!

System Specs:

2Gigs Kinston Value Ram
ASUS A8V-E SE motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ venice CPU
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250Gb drive
Plextor PX-716A DVD burner
LG - HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B CD burner
ATI - X850XT video card
430w Power Supply w/12v Rails

Try uninstalling the IDE channels. Windows will automatically re-detect them upon reboot.

If that doesnt help, check master/slave pin and IDE cable (should be 80 wire). Did u install any hardware lately?

Try this.

Thread moved to the Plextor DVD burner forum.:slight_smile:

I have a Plextor PX-716A IDE. It is currently set to PIO mode in device manager and I can’t get it to go back to DMA mode. It is set to use DMA if available but still say PIO. All my other drives are set to DMA. In the BIOS it says that the Plextor drive is set to Ultra DMA 4.

My specs:

ASUS A8V-E SE
ATI X850XT
2gb (512mb x4) Kingston Value RAM CL3
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250gb IDE
Plextor PX-716A IDE DVD
LG - HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B
Windows XP Pro SP2
Phoenix BIOS rev. 1010 01/13/2006
Tagan 430w Power Supply with two 12 volt rails

Why new thread, something wrong with the old one?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=190307

Uninstalling the drive and letting XP reinstall it worked.

Thanks!

Sorry I had forgotten that I posted yesterday. Anyways uninstalling the drive and letting XP reinstall it worked.

You might also want to install SP2, because with SP1 after a certain number of timeouts the drive will revert to PIO mode.

This definitely happens with SP2, too.

There is also the action of the notorious ‘Starforce’ protection system to consider!

To get the UDMA mode restored, go to device manager, and find the IDE controller (primary or secondary) that has your PX-716A attached to it. If you have property pages open on the channel, select “cancel” to get to the line that simply says primary or secondary IDE channel. Right click on the relevant ide channel itself (not the drive) and say uninstall, and confirm when you get the warning message. Reboot, and windows will find and reinstall the controller, resetting your attached drives to their max DMA setting. This happens because when Windows detects errrors above a certain threshold, it downgrades from DMA to PIO, and you can’t reset it at the device. It can also be changed with a registry edit, but this is safer.