Can't get my DRW-1608P to work right!

Perhaps someone can help me out here. I bought a DRW-1608P and it came to me with no software. I didn’t think it would be a problem with Windows XP, so I installed it and let Windows set it up. Things seemed to work just great until I had some issues with ripping CD’s.

I was having click issues when ripping and was told to check that the Drive was in DMA mode. I went into device manager and looked and sure enough it wasn’t, it was set to “DMA if available” with the current mode set to “PIO Mode”. There was no way to force it into DMA.

I then looked to see what driver was being used for the drive itself and found it to be an Adaptec driver provided by Microsoft. I wanted to use the Asus driver so I went on their site to find it but only could find a firmware updater which would update me to 1.57. I decided to update the firmware but when I ran the program I got an error : “Available target is not found”. I decided to give up on upgrading the firmware and to look instead for a driver that would allow the DMA to work. OF course I’ve had no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this drive to work with DMA? All I want is to rip CD’s with no clicks.

Just set it to DMA.
It should run in UDMA4 mode, BTW.

I tried that… I restarted and all… no luck… the bios sets it to UDMA2 so I would assume windows would get the message somehow…

Is it connected and jumpered as MASTER drive? Is it on a 80 conductor IDE cable?
Is the mobo capable of UDMA4?

You maybe have tried with the wrong 1.57 firmware.
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2029

@neodem
just remove the IDE CHANNEL that ur burner connected to
restart ur pc , it’ll be automatically detected after restart
transfer mode will be UDMA
happy burning :smiley:

Not necessarily.

Bios update at your MOBO site.
Set your Bios settings.
Recheck all your connections.
Do what Chef and the others said.
MOBO drivers update if there are any.
Check Device manager.
Burn two disks and call us in the morning.

@chef
happened to me once b4 :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the advice… I pulled the IDE channel off (oh, yes… the drive was master on the secondary channel… and the jumper was set correct) and finally it defaulted to DMA (Ultra DMA mode 2)… But I still get the artifacts when I rip… I’m going to try toupdate the firmware on the drive and the motherboard, but I’m not convinced that will work… we’ll see…

Please read my earlier posts.
This drive should run in UDMA4 mode, not UDMA2!

UDMA2 is the max teh MOBO can support apparently… (that’s all that shows up in bios)… I also downloaded the driver you suggested (the link you gave has an old ftp address… should be updated) from asus and again I can’t get it to work : The error I get is “Available target is not found”. I searched for the error here and in google to no avail…

You are probably using the wrong firmware, or have the drive confused.

Post a summary (File, Save) from DiscInfo. http://discinfo.rpc1.org/

Brother Vlad

I doubt I’m using the wrong firmware and I doubt I’ve confused the drive. It simply refuses to work. Here is the summary for you:

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR :
MODEL : DRW-1608P
REVISION : 1.40
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 05/03/14 PIONEER
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : 55DM143288
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2000KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 32

I have pulled the drive out and identified that it is an Asus DRW-1608P and I have downloaded the Asus firmware 1.57 directly from the vendors website : ASUS_DRW-1608P_FW157EU.zip

I’ve run the exe under windows and in a commmand prompt and recieved the same error message. I am amazed that I’m the only one to have had this issue before…

I already mentioned the reason for that!

The burner has to run in UDMA4 mode, otherwise you will always get such issues and errors.

Ditto, been there many times with Pios. Listen to Chef. If your MOBO does not support IMDA4 then PIOs are not an option for you IMHO. If its working you are lucky.
Time for a new box.

huh? This was working for months and then all of a sudden I started getting the clicks… I find it hard to believe that the DMA4 / DMA2 issue is the cause…

Maybe just the ide cable has played up, try to replace it. Maybe that is the issue here.

Chef is on target, If there is any problem with the transfer of data the system will click off DMA. Common problem. Sorry, I did not catch that the system was fine for several months.
Did you change any software or hardware recently?

Well, hard to say… I install and uninstall stuff all the time so I don’t know. UDMA2 is the max my mobo will support and since I did the uninsall and re-install of the secondary IDE driver I’ve been in DMA rock solid. I’ve tried multiple ripping techniques and software but still get these tiny click sounds on occation… I’m considering buying a new CD rom drive and a new cable but I can’t believe that’s it… we’ll see.